Reduction to Optimal Range?

The gun I am using has a Falloff range 130 km and Optimal range of 71 km. I then load it with EMP L (50% reduced optimal range). The Falloff with EMP L loaded is 95 km and Optimal range is 35 km.

How does that happen?
Why does reducing the Optimal range also lower the Falloff range?
Why is EMP ammo not labelled 50% reduced optimal range and minus that from Falloff?

https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Turret_mechanics#Range

1 Like

So we’ve established optimal is 71km
The displayed falloff range is really optimal + falloff, meaning falloff alone is roughly 60km

With 50% reduced optimal range
optimal becomes ~35 km
optimal + falloff becomes 35km + 60km = 95km
Math seems to check out

Just remember that falloff is added to optimal and you will be fine. Also remember that each weapon type has different falloff characteristics. Some are very easy to deal with past optimal and some have very short falloff ranges…know the difference is important if you plan to be a kite fighter.

I think missiles are absolute though based on flight time x missile speed. ie damage does not decrease at distance but be 1m past range and you wont do damage…I might be a bit off here as I don’t use missiles but I’m close I think.

1 Like

QST_turret_range

5 Likes

Hey Ember. Thanks for that resource.do you know a link btw?

Thanks.

You can look through eve uni website they describe a lot of game mechanics.

1 Like

Maybe to make some things more clear: When you hover over the weapon icon in your UI, what is shown as Falloff range is actually the distance where you’ll only do 50%, in other words your optimal plus falloff value. To see the precise value, open the info with a right click. There you see that the falloff is 60km on your gun, no matter what ammo you have loaded

It’s more complicated then that tbh. Or at least used to be. The tldr is factors like target isn’t stationary so distance needed to impact is > actual flight time. Missiles don’t actually travel in straight lines (there is a skill to help with this) etc. Basically give yourself a margin of error with missiles

I don’t think you understand any of these numbers.

You add the falloff to the optimal to get the extent of the range of your guns. If your optimal falls so does your falloff.

1 Like

there are two falloff that are displayed.

• The first one is the turret falloff range, that you can have in the "show info"on the turret
  • The second one is the ship falloff distance, that is actually turret optimal+turret falloff, that you can see when you hover the turret on your ship with your mouse.

When the target is at optimal+fallof_range = falloff_distance, you deal 40% of your DPS to that target due to distance. That’s when your falloff entry is 100% .

Same for the tracking : when the target evasion is equal to your tracking, and in your optimal range, you deal average 40% of your DPS (what is written on the turret) to it.

If the target is both at falloff_distance and with an evasion equal to your tracking, you deal 18% of your DPS.

Actually there’s three falloffs.

Each are added to the first, thus allowing turrets to increase range capacity, but as you get further out the lower your chances of hitting.

So a turret with 50km optimal and 50km falloff, within 50km and 100km (optimal + falloff) has a 50% chance of hitting, 100km to 150km (optimal + falloff + falloff) has a 6.25% chance, and from 150km to max range of 200km (optimal + falloff + falloff + falloff) 0.2% chance.

Only exception is Trig turrets as they have 0km falloff.

And only thing that effects these are ammo and tracking computer scripts these ranges adjust.

For example i have an Apoc with Beams that has a optimal range of 112km with radio and range scripts, and even with a signal booster running range script the beam will still hit targets in the first falloff range 50%, never getting target lock past the first falloff range.

While a Leshak with factional turret (longest optimal range of all trig turrets) using Meson ammo and 2x tracking computers running range scripts will hit a target just under 90km away. And that scares a lot of players when they see that happening, even those in the same fleet respect it after a few fleets, no longer view the Trigs as solely short to medium range ships.

1 Like

Yea you’re off … educate yourself in great detail here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwpcBZpkKkQ

I might be a bit off here

Do I need to explain that to you or can you figure out why I induced that disclaimer…

That’s a pretty steady stream of salt flowing there Runa, by chance are you a miner? and If so, I’d like to demonstrate my prefect missile skills on say your ship for instance, I will leave no doubt in your mind as to what missiles can really do!

Salt? LOL…

I was just trying to help you as you clearly didn’t read the whole post. Anything else I can help you with?

If you want me to dox my main it will cost you. And as you wont pay, I wont bother so…

Bring it!

Did you not read my full post, again?

Shouldn’t you be watching a video?

I already did…anything else I can help you with?