Rejoining EvE

That goes beyond automation and directly into hacking territory. CCP’s at fault for not making stuff like this exclusively server-side.

1 Like

Bots are meant to automate boring, mindless, repetitive actions. Bots are also set up to minimize, as much as possible, the interaction with the client and the potential for meaningful contact with other players.

When a player makes similar decisions and performs those same boring, repetitive actions for an hours at a time, that is bot-like. These are decisions like choosing to solo mine in an Orca in a 1.0 sec system. It is possible that there is a player at their keyboard while their Orca is mining in highsec. Maybe. However, it is botlike.

A similar player might choose to join a mixed fleet in a 0.5 system, mining better rocks with only one Orca, there to provide mining boosts. That choice provides better yields and is much less botlike.

1 Like

Haven’t you heard? It’s relaxing, and people play EVE to relax.

2 Likes

Link me a few of these systems?

It’s been a while since I’ve gotten a bunch of these emails from CCP, and would like to get some more inbox notifications.

(Or are you just gonna point vaguely at nullsec and say ‘go there’?)

james 315 and concise are antonyms. he was a nerd who wrote 45 post treatments about the lint in his navel or something.

OK, so according to that then I’m a bot as well.

Just because a player decides to minimize interaction with others while maximizing a safe gameplay experience doesn’t make them bot-like.

Hell for my first half dozen years playing this game I was online as much as possible, only taking occasional food and bathroom breaks as needed with Downtime pretty much being my cue to go to sleep. As an explorer within hostile systems, I always warp to a safe spot and cloak up whenever somebody enter’s Local, mainly so I can check their info, then go back and do the same thing again if I see Combat Probes on D-scan.

Most of my time since my first day in this game has been done as a solo player. However I have done some group play as well. In fact right after Apocrypha Expansion I sponsored Exploration Ops in RUN Corp as Fleet Commander, mainly because I had Covert Ops Frigate for scanning and needed backup to take out NPC’s at Hacking sites. While scanning down Cosmic Signatures I’d have the fleet run Anomaly sites, then after bookmarking all Combat signatures I’d reship into a combat ship and we’d all run the sites, even chase down the escalations into Low Sec.

After I advanced up into Force Recon Cruiser and fit it for exploration, I didn’t need any backup at Hacking sites, however I’d still gather a Fleet for the high level Cosmic Signature combat sites. Eventually my skills got better and with a Tech 3 Cruiser I no longer needed a Fleet to run those sites.

I’ve also done a few other group content as well, like helping mission runners complete their mission, being a forward covert scout for a convoy into null sec space to anchor a POS, scanning and bookmarking Cosmic Signature Ore sites for Mining Fleet Ops, etc.

In fact I recently helped a Fleet move various ships gained as a drop from destroying an Abandoned Structure due to my high skill level in piloting all sub-Cap ships.

Be that as it may, I’m mainly an Explorer doing solo gameplay as safely as possible with the least amount of interaction with other players. If that’s considered Bot-Like Behavior then you should report me to CCP.

1 Like

It isn’t about playing solo, or preferring PVE. The real issue is whether somebody is trying to watch Netflix while playing the game - or otherwise trying to avoid being active at the keyboard.

The real issue is that players I’ve spoken to who do that sort of thing truly believe that it’s actually the intent of the game and its developers to deliver that sort of experience. Like, I’ve literally heard miners say that CCP put mining into the game to provide players with a relaxing activity that they don’t have to pay attention to.

This is entirely CCP’s fault; a lack of proper marketing and documentation, and most of all, shitty game design for EVE’s PvE content. Mining should’ve been something like blowing up a giant rock with explosives, and then tractor-beaming chunks to your ship as they’re flying away in all directions, and if one of those chunks hits your ship, it ■■■■■■■ explodes (well, maybe not really, but definitely takes damage and requires active tank management).

Instead it’s target rock -> activate module with long cycle time -> ore magically appears in cargo. Yeah, no ■■■■ people will think that they can go AFK while doing it. And ratting is no different. When I used to rat with tachyons, I would pop the frigates manually, and then set one of the bigger ships to keep-at-range, and split the lasers between all targets. Then I would tab in five minutes later and warp to the next belt.

1 Like

That’s my norm lol. I watch sci fi horror movies on my tablet while playing(now that Nvidia killed 3d). Usually stuff like alien, the black hole, or the expanse. Also underwater stuff like deep star six or leviathan.

I can’t afk or anything like that though. I have to stay on the stick while running lvl 4s or wh sites. I always worry that in the 15 seconds it takes me to grab another drink in going to come back and find my shield and armor gone, or find myself webbed and scrammed by some other player.

1 Like

Collecting isk is pointless.

But then so is the human race and most likely the universe, but we’re here so we might as well make the most of it, regardless if it all pointless or not.

the secret is to go around pretending eve is just a game and isk is not real money
i know its hard but i make things more light

1 Like

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.