Reply with a famous quote

Many receive advice; few profit by it.
Publilius Syrus,
Writer

Full text of “The Moral Sayings of Publius Syrus, a Roman Slave: From the Latin”

"From the errors of others, a wise man correct his own."
Publilius Syrus

Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.

I often regret that I have spoken; never that I have been silent.

No one knows what he can do until he tries.

There are some remedies worse than the disease.

To do two things at once is to do neither.

While we stop to think, we often miss our opportunity.

An angry man is again angry with himself when he returns to reason.

What is left when honor is lost?

Many receive advice, few profit by it.

3 Likes

gf

The only way.

“Cast me into a dungeon;, burn me at the state, crown me king of kings, I can ‘pursue happiness’ as long as my brain lives – but neither gods nor saints, wise men nor subtle drugs, can insure that I will catch it.”
Robert A. Heinlein

2 Likes

A handful of quotes, attributed to Publilius Syrus, that I belie are particularly true in EVE.

“It is better to learn late than never.”
“Audacity augments courage; hesitation, fear.”
“Valor grows by daring, fear by holding back.”
A good reputation is more valuable than money.

BECAUSE OF FALCON!! - Dead Meme

2 Likes

"The fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.”

Bertrand Russell

10 Likes

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

Terry Pratchett.

24 Likes

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.” ― Sun Tzu, Art of War

3 Likes

We should provide in peace what we need in war.
Maxim 709

Money alone sets all the world in motion.
Maxim 656

Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them.
Maxim 872

Better to be ignorant of a matter than half know it.
Maxim 865

The Fear of Death is more to be dreaded than death itself.

Yesterday should be the teacher of today.

Fortune is like glass - the brighter the glitter, the more easily broken.

Where there is unity there is always victory.

Many receive advice only the wise profit from it

Good health and good sense are two of life’s greatest blessings.

Treat your friend as if he might become your enemy.

The loss of a friend is the greatest of losses

We die as often as we lose a friend.

How unhappy is he who cannot forgive himself.

Life and trust can be lost only once

Practice is the best of all instructors.

It is no profit to have learned well, if you neglect to do well.

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion, just like science has a double face: the reality of error and the phantom of truth.

A wise man will be master of his mind, a fool will be its slave.

Reason is powerless in the expression of Love. - Rumi

One man’s Wickedness may easily become all men’s curse

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” - Frank Herbert, Dune

I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.
Nelson Mandela

Vulnerability
is our most accurate measure
of courage.

– Bréne Brown
www.joyinector.ca

Why courage requires fear

The fine line between fear and courage

http://www.wiseoldsayings.com/bravery-quotes/page-2/

The ideal man bears the accidents of life with dignity and grace, making the best of circumstances.
Aristotle

Boldness is ever blind, for it sees not dangers and inconveniences whence it is bad in council though good in execution.
Francis Bacon

Nothing splendid has ever been achieved except by those who dared believe that something inside them was superior to circumstance.
Bruce Barton

One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn’t do.
Henry Ford

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing you think you cannot do.
Eleanor Roosevelt

Moral excellence comes about as a result of habit. We become just by doing just acts, temperate by doing temperate acts, brave by doing brave acts.
Aristotle

Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once.
William Shakespeare

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage.
Anais Nin

There is no living thing that is not afraid when it faces danger. The true courage is in facing danger when you are afraid.
L. Frank Baum

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
― Winston S. Churchill

“Bran thought about it. ‘Can a man still be brave if he’s afraid?’
‘That is the only time a man can be brave,’ his father told him.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

“Fear cuts deeper than swords.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

“Scared is what you’re feeling. Brave is what you’re doing.”
― Emma Donoghue, Room

“It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog.”
― Mark Twain

“Courage is found in unlikely places.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

“Let the first act of every morning be to make the following resolve for the day:

• I shall not fear anyone on Earth.
  • I shall fear only God.
  • I shall not bear ill will toward anyone.
  • I shall not submit to injustice from anyone.
  • I shall conquer untruth by truth. And in resisting untruth, I shall put up with all suffering.”
    ― Mahatma Gandhi

“Harry - you’re a great wizard, you know."
“I’m not as good as you,” said Harry, very embarrassed, as she let go of him.
“Me!” said Hermione. "Books! And cleverness! There are more important things - friendship and bravery and - oh Harry - be careful!”
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

“It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

“Listen to the people who love you. Believe that they are worth living for even when you don’t believe it. Seek out the memories depression takes away and project them into the future. Be brave; be strong; take your pills. Exercise because it’s good for you even if every step weighs a thousand pounds. Eat when food itself disgusts you. Reason with yourself when you have lost your reason.”
― Andrew Solomon, The Noonday Demon: An Atlas of Depression

“The moment we begin to fear the opinions of others and hesitate to tell the truth that is in us, and from motives of policy are silent when we should speak, the divine floods of light and life no longer flow into our souls.”
― Elizabeth Cady Stanton

“It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare.”
― Mark Twain

“It is not the strength of the body that counts, but the strength of the spirit.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

“Before I knew you, I thought brave was not being afraid. You’ve taught me that bravery is being terrified and doing it anyway.”
― Laurell K. Hamilton, Blood Noir

“A brave man acknowledges the strength of others.”
― Veronica Roth, Divergent

“The problem with internet quotes is that you can’t always depend on their accuracy” - Abraham Lincoln, 1864

15 Likes

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power. Abraham Lincoln

We don’t develop courage by being happy every day. We develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. Barbara De Angelis

There is no better than adversity. Every defeat, every heartbreak, every loss, contains its own seed, its own lesson on how to improve your performance the next time. Malcolm X

You should never view your challenges as a disadvantage. Instead, it’s important for you to understand that your experience facing and overcoming adversity is actually one of your biggest advantages. Michelle Obama

All the adversity I’ve had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me… You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. Walt Disney

A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity. King Solomon

Every adversity, every failure, every heartache carries with it the seed of an equal or greater benefit. Napoleon Hill

Fire is the test of gold; adversity, of strong men. Martha Graham

The friend in my adversity I shall always cherish most. I can better trust those who helped to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity. Ulysses S. Grant

Just as we develop our physical muscles through overcoming opposition - such as lifting weights - we develop our character muscles by overcoming challenges and adversity. Stephen Covey

Let me embrace thee, sour adversity, for wise men say it is the wisest course. William Shakespeare

Friendship, of itself a holy tie, is made more sacred by adversity. Charles Caleb Colton

Prosperity is no just scale; adversity is the only balance to weigh friends. Plutarch

In the day of prosperity be joyful, but in the day of adversity consider. King Solomon

Prosperity is a great teacher; adversity a greater. William Hazlitt

Test a servant while in the discharge of his duty, a relative in difficulty, a friend in adversity, and a wife in misfortune. Chanakya

It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company. George Washington

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

Observe good faith and justice toward all nations. Cultivate peace and harmony with all. George Washington

Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light. George Washington

A war hasn’t been fought this badly since Olaf the Hairy, high chief of all the vikings, accidentally ordered 80,000 battle helmets with the horns on the inside.

Captain Edmund Blackadder.

5 Likes

“Hell in a hand basket, I tell you!”
-Homer Simpson’s dad at the rest home

1 Like

– “If voting made any difference they wouldn’t let us do it.” – Mark Twain

– The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter. – Winston Churchill

– “Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society.” –Aristotle

“Rules for Happiness: something to do, someone to love, something to hope for.” ― Immanuel Kant

– Success is maintaining enthusiasm between failures. -Churchill

– “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.”

2 Likes

“Go to hell Bob”

― Dr Perry Cox

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.

Friedrich Nietzsche

1 Like

Faith in vain is as vain and fruitless.

Think about how stupid the average person is. That means half of them out there are dumber than that.
George Carlin

Any book is a children’s book if the child knows how to read.
Mitch Hedburg

1 Like
2 Likes

“I drink, therefore I am.”
-Monty Python

Monty Python’s “Bruce’s Philosophers Song”
Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable.
Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table.

David Hume could out-consume
Wilhelm Freidrich Hegel.
And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel.

There’s nothing Nietzsche couldn’t teach ya
’Bout the raising of the wrist,
Socrates, himself, was permanently pissed.

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,
On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill.
Plato, they say, could stick it away,
Half a crate of whiskey every day.

Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle,
And Hobbes was fond of his dram.
And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart,
“I drink, therefore I am.”

Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed,
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he’s pissed.

2 Likes