1. F̶o̶u̶n̶d̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶-̶ ̶I̶s̶a̶a̶c̶ ̶A̶s̶i̶m̶o̶v̶
  2. Dune - Frank Herbert
  3. The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
  4. The Eye of the World - Robert Jordan
  5. It - Stephen King

What about you?

14 Likes

Surface Detail by Iain M Banks.

Nearly finished with the culture series and I’m starting to get a bit sad :grin::sweat_smile::disappointed_relieved::sob:

4 Likes

These new forums for now.

But I have to finish “At the Mountains of Madness”. Will do, someday. :closed_book:

2 Likes

http://www.baen.com/feldspar is a good, if short, read.

1 Like

Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance

also trying to catch up on my 11 years of missed eve lore. lol

1 Like

I’m actually thinking about starting to re-read all my old James Herbert novels again, however I’m also writing a lot recently, so my time is kinda full with that :smiley:

2 Likes

The Rats trilogy? that was disturbing.

1 Like

Fantastic books, although my favorite is '48 :smiley:

2 Likes

ooo. not seen that one. bought! :smiley:

2 Likes

It’s amazing, an action/horror novel on the surface, but beneath it there’s a serious look into undertones of how Allied and Axis propaganda affected those serving in the armed forces during WWII, and how class divided people during the war years.

Really interesting read :smiley:

2 Likes

Right now I’m reading… The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov.

2 Likes
5 Likes

I’m currently on Xenocide in the Ender’s Game series.

2 Likes

I’ve most recently finished the short book “The Man Who Was Thursday” by G. K. Chesterton.

The book is about an undercover policeman who infiltrates an anarchist sect. The story seems to take a philosophical and possibly literary perspective (whatever that means). Lots of stuff about the way poets think, but most of that went over my head.

I realised who Sunday is about 1/3 through the book and got to thinking how this might work. It seem to me that an anarchist group made up of undercover policemen would effectively silence genuine anarchists; if the genuine believe there is a big bad organisation that they’re just not good enough to get into, surely they’d remain content that someones already doing something and they’d be less likely to act themselves or develop their own group. It makes sense better in my mind; I’m having trouble articulating my thoughts. Although saying that, to be rejected might well cause envy.

The attribution of character to the days of the week, toward the end of the book, is very interesting and I feel there might be something a little deeper there.

The ending is intellectually interesting when actually considered, but very unexpected and ultimately disappointing. Maybe I just didn’t get it; I wanted an explanation of what Sunday was actually doing as both ‘himself’ and the other person.

Mail me if you’d like to explain what I’m missing.

1 Like

Consider Phlebas by Iain M Banks. Read Surface Detail, but now going back to read the books in order. (Or does reading them in chronological order even matter much? Seems maybe not).

2 Likes

It doesn’t really matter, but you might as well read them in order

1 Like

Just finished Robots of Dawn by Isaac Asimov, now I am reading Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice

2 Likes

Picked up American Gods again (so I can compare the TV version) and I’ve two trilogies to finish (Kinglsayer Chronicles & The Causal Angel) before I’m allowed to buy myself another book.

2 Likes

The Worm Within by Sarah Newton.

1 Like

The Witcher, written by Andrzej Sapkowski

1 Like