Research Project Interviews

Gesakaarin is the nom de guerre conferred on me by others in childhood, which I found useful for DED records.

Veikitamo Matiaviyo Kuviya “Gesakaarin” Suutama-Kaalakiota Kurovassi would be the full name/patronymic/matronymic/nickname/lineage/family on record.

I admit to a fondness for Gesakaarin however, as it was a name earned by my peers. And no, it didn’t involve killing or eating, my Father least of all.

I will pass it on.

4 Likes

You’re name isn’t even Gesakaarin? MADAM, YOU SIT UPON A THRONE OF LIES!!!

4 Likes

No one ever really asked, “Is Gesakaarin your real last name?” Before, and it never came up until now.

3 Likes

People never ask those questions

2 Likes

Normally I don’t talk about this stuff, but anybody with half a brain and a desire to know could probably find this out anyway, so, whatever.

1. Where were you born?

A poor fishing town on Bourynes II, because my family was in hiding. Father was a whistleblower from the FIO. They eventually had to leave me behind and travel to Intaki Prime, and then eventually, to the Syndicate region. Mother was so distraught over losing me that she left Father.

2. What did your parents do, if you know? Were they capsuleers or baseliners?

Father had two jobs: Professor of Philosophy and Psychology at the University of Caille Bourynes, and an operative for the FIO.

Mother was a freed slave, and ended up joining the Tribal Liberation Force, and eventually, the Elder Fleet. I still have no idea if she is alive after the events of YC110.

3. How old were you when you became a capsuleer?

4. What is your main source of income as a capsuleer?

I make money through networks of other capsuleers, mainly members of my crew whom I’ve financed, and I made a small fortune through selling Sleeper salvage to various organizations. My highest netting venture currently is through the DED’s incursion payout system.

5. Do you consider yourself loyal to any particular faction?

I swear total loyalty to whichever corporation, alliance, or nation I work for, until something happens that makes me need to leave, and when I’ve left, I’ve never abused the roles I had. Loyalty and patriotism are solid virtues to me. I’ve worked as a mercenary in the past, but there are some jobs I won’t take.

Outside of that, I have a deep respect for and a few ties (which I will not disclose) to Mordu’s Legion, and whilst I am much-hated by the Serpentis for… basically slaughtering them for money, I can appreciate their tongue-in-cheek humor with the Federation.

6. How would you feel if you were told you couldn’t be a capsuleer anymore?

Probably relieved, although at this point, I’d likely get myself killed if I wasn’t effectively immortal.

7. What would you do if you weren’t a capsuleer?

Get married, settle down, have a bunch of kids and focus on making them decent people. I still plan on doing this, but timelines look a lot different for capsuleers than baseliners.

8. Are you generally happy in your day-to-day life?

Meh. Ups and downs.

1. Would you change anything in your life?

I wish I could stop blowing things up.

1. Is there anything else you’d like to say that we’ve not covered?

Lowsec is dead. RIP Waffles.

5 Likes

I’m not even convinced that Veikitamo is your first name.

2 Likes

It’s my public or community name. Among male friends I would be Kuviya, or Kuvi. Among female friends I would be Matiaviyo, or Mati. Since I consider no other capsuleers among my friends, Veikitamo is just fine at present.

2 Likes

Danera V, Khanid Kingdom.

Baseliners. Father was a minor Holder and a Navy captain. Mother was a daughter of a noble from Rahabeda.

21 (confirmed compatible and entered the training program at 17).

Multiple planetside installations in Danera system, CONCORD bounties, Imperial agent payments.

Yes.

Rather relieved.

I’d live on Danera V managing the estate father left me, probably married and with a child or two.

Yes.

Yes.

Probably nothing. Or, I don’t know…

When I see the pale, wispy cloud that is the Vapor Sea rising over the lake back home, I sometimes remember the glorious, in-your-face explosion of color that the capsule firmware makes from it to feed into my brain. And I don’t miss it.

There’s nothing to miss in the spreadsheet holo-game world the capsuleers live in.

It’s not real.

4 Likes

SUBJECT NAME: Eurzadahn Ali’Noor
RACE: Gallente
AFFILIATION: Industrialist, Politician, Khanid
CURRENT CORPORATION: The HEDWAY Network
CURRENT ALLIANCE: Ikusaro

1. Where were you born?
I was born in Luminaire City on the glorious planet of Luminaire, Capital of the Gallante Federation.

My father was a Gallente Federation Senator & Owner of Ali’Noor Mining Corp. He was forced to resign from his position as part of a Senate Coup that had taken place several years ago. I do not have many details regarding his current doings or whereabouts. My mother was the equivalent of Gallente royalty - the typical wife of a Senior Senator and entrepreneur - and saw to tending to the household and my raising.

I was made a capsuleer as soon as I had turned of legal age. This was done so that I could take my place in helping to manage the family enterprise on the fringe of the Genesis region.

Trade, mining, law enforcement bounties, and operational taxes from the my network of space stations known throughout New Eden as THE HEDWAY NETWORK.

This is a complex question. In my heart I will always be a true Gallentean. I will always love the Federation. Seeing my family was the victim of a coup, however, I vowed to stay out of Federation space for some time. I have a keen fascination with the Khanid Kingtom and I have been residing in their space for several years. I admire their independent spirit, their resolve to be true to themselves, and their ability to thrive as an outsider to the rest of the Amarr Empire.

Absolutely devastated. I have built so much of my life around my abilities as a Capsuleer. That being said, I would still be able to manage The HEDWAY NETWORK while not being a Capsuleer, just progress would be far slower than current and traveling constantly throughout the Network would be far more taxing.

The same thing I am doing now. Whether or not I am Capsuleer, I will have my ambition and drive. I would chase them nonetheless. Admittedly it would be far slower progress, but I would still make the effort.

Honestly? At times. Things do not always proceed as fast as I would like but that is just part of life.

9. Would you change anything in your life?
I probably have to say learn to better communicate my goals and thoughts with those around me. The pace at which I like to work and the level I communicate what I am doing has at times been taxing with those I have worked with. A simple character flaw, I suppose, but one I think about often.

10. Is there anything else you’d like to say that we’ve not covered?
Not at this time. Thank you for the interview!

2 Likes

Thank you everyone so far for your replies and those of you who have let me interview them in person! It’s been highly enlightening. I’d like to start wrapping it up so if anyone wants to answer who hasn’t, please do, and if you would like a confidential interview, please contact me via mail!

2 Likes

Is Ember your real last name?

2 Likes
  1. New Caldari

2. After a stint in the military my mother became a merchant, and my father remained to become a Logistics Fleet Commander

3. -stressed laughter-

4. Trading and payments for services rendered

5. I’d like to say I’m loyal to the State.

6. I’d be fairly upset, yeah, I think it’s safe to say I’d be very angry.

7. Merchant. I’d open my own shop. “The State Rate: Finest prices in the system”

8. Extremely. Thank you, How are you?

9. I wish i’d studied history more, I’m fairly lost often, but other than that I’m pretty alright.

10. I love you

2 Likes
1. Where were you born?

Elore IV, Solitude

Baseliners, Richard Lanate ex-security officer and Yasmin Kelmaka immigrant from Mishi IV,

20+

Different types of trading

I’m a Gallente Citizen.

Accept it, I’m in a position that it wouldn’t be much of a problem.

I have no idea.

It’s irrelevant.

9. Would you change anything in your life?

Do more.

10. Is there anything else you’d like to say that we’ve not covered?

Nothing comes to my mind at this moment.

3 Likes

It is not

2 Likes

Where were you born?

Villore VI on the Fed Defence Union installation

What did your parents do, if you know? Were they capsuleers or baseliners?

Carpenter and Nurse

How old were you when you became a capsuleer?

What is your main source of income as a capsuleer?

I have a wealthy benefactor that tops up my wallet every now and then. Combat can be hard on the wallet

Do you consider yourself loyal to any particular faction?

No

How would you feel if you were told you couldn’t be a capsuleer anymore?

I never meant to be one in the first place. Was a total mistake. Went to a job interview to become an apprentice chef and entered the wrong address. Presto.

What would you do if you weren’t a capsuleer?

Probably be a chef. I miss real food.

Are you generally happy in your day-to-day life?

Yes

Would you change anything in your life?

I’d like to eat more real food. Liquid nutrient through a tube is ok and all, but good looking, good tasting food is hella sexy.

Is there anything else you’d like to say that we’ve not covered?

No

Curious as to the socio-psychological methodology at use here, but it is indeed an interesting premise.

1. Artoun V, medical facility attached to a planet-side trade post.

2. My father was a partner in a trade/logistics business venture. My mother was a private tutor, as we travelled a lot due to the nature of my father’s work.

1. A little late, perhaps.
  3. My exploration endeavours usually leave me with some spare relics to put onto the market. I inherited a small collection of things from my father’s business, as well as some from a fallen friend.

4. Not an easy question to answer. I am hardly the loyalist of Khanid Amarr, my parents themselves are very vocal in their dislike of my choice of ‘friends’ when I was in training. And now I work for a Caldari-based capsuleer corporation. I am loyal to those who show me loyalty and trust in return.

5. Initially, saddened. But I am an optimist. I would find other ways to exist. Though it might be hard to go back to being a ship’s crewmember after so many years of being in command, as it were.

6. I try not to think about that. I suppose I’d end up following in my mother’s footsteps, as a tutor. Maybe return to a research position.

7. ‘Happy’, that’s a transient concept. But yes. I have my independence; that in itself keeps me happy.

8. Hmm. No. The struggles and failures I’ve encountered have led to positive places.

9. The compulsion to understand the whys and hows was something that gained me both admiration and revulsion during my training. I’m glad someone else is digging into these areas. It can make for marvellous study.

5 Likes
  1. Where were you born?

Saisio III, or Achura. Whichever your preference.

1. What did your parents do, if you know? Were they capsuleers or baseliners?

My parents are baseliners, wonderful people. My father is a well regarded historian on Achura. My mother was more interested in artistic endeavors though applied this to the field of genetics, bioart.

1. How old were you when you became a capsuleer?

I was thirty six years old.

1. What is your main source of income as a capsuleer?

Archeological fragments of trivial interest to be gathered and sold. Long aged rubble that still holds some useful capability or components for resale. The occasional bounty collection (a rarity).

1. Do you consider yourself loyal to any particular faction?

I am nominally employed by the Caldari State, specifically Ishukone. My loyalty did extend through the state as a whole and formerly Hyasyoda… recently I have been unsure of these former convictions. There is bad here, as well as good. To answer as simply as I can, no. I am loyal to myself and what/who I care for.

1. How would you feel if you were told you couldn’t be a capsuleer anymore?

This would very much depend on the circumstances surrounding the hypothetical. My likeliest response, at this point, would be to refuse for the sake of those other potential ‘me’ that await awakening in the event of my death.

1. What would you do if you weren’t a capsuleer?

I would continue to study the archeological histories of the myriad groups in our galaxy and consider a longer delve into Achuran archeological finds.

1. Are you generally happy in your day-to-day life?

My previous incarnation vastly was barring a few weeks prior to her death. I can not state very simply if I am happy or not, though I am in a better frame of mind for the path I’ve chosen now.

1. Would you change anything in your life?

I am uncertain I would still be me if I did. Though there is one thing I almost certainly would. It won’t be discussed here.

1. Is there anything else you’d like to say that we’ve not covered?

Yes, these seem like rather odd questions for a research project namely based in testing the influence of -childhood- experiences for becoming a capsuleer. The vast majority are all related to well after childhood.

1 Like

Where were you born?

“Làng Tāo Arcology, Southern Equatorial Zone - Tei-Su, Mei-Ha. Can’t y’all tell from the drawl?” laughs

What did your parents do, if you know? Were they capsuleers or baseliners?

“Both baseliners. They met while working at the Metadata Science division of Garoun Investment Bank.”

How old were you when you became a capsuleer?
“21”

What is your main source of income as a capsuleer?
“I play the markets a bit. I also do some freelance security mission contracting on the side. It pays the bills, but in the context of capsuleering - I’d say I juuust get by.” grins

Do you consider yourself loyal to any particular faction?
“Well… I’m Reclaimed into the faith, and that means Her Majesty Catiz is sovereign. I reckon order is better than chaos in general…it’s how I was raised. We can paper over society with ideals and these other wild musings about rights and opportunity and what have you, but the check always comes due at the end, yenno?”

How would you feel if you were told you couldn’t be a capsuleer anymore?
“Numb, I think. I’ve become accustomed to a certain quality of life.”

What would you do if you weren’t a capsuleer?
“I honestly don’t know. Maybe run a cafe back home in Mei-Ha?”

Are you generally happy in your day-to-day life?
“Ab-so-lutely!”

Would you change anything in your life?
“Not a single thing, actually. I mean - we’re blessed enough to not have to deal with life ending. Plenty of time to fix where and what we failed.”

Is there anything else you’d like to say that we’ve not covered?
“Nopes! Thank y’all for your time.”

1 Like

Thank you everyone who responded. The replies were overwhelming! I am now closing interviews, but if you are desperate to be a part of this, please mail me. Thank you again!

4 Likes

Thank you for prompting so much personal disclosure! It has made for interesting reading and I look forward to your paper.

Not wanting to interfere, I have been waiting until you closed the interview stage to ask why you did not ask subjects why and/or how they became capsuleers (only when). I suppose there is a reason, would you care to solve my puzzlement?

5 Likes