Returning Player with a few Questions

1. What do you mean with ‘broken’, as that description is both used as ‘overpowered/way too strong’ and as ‘bugged/does not work’. Drones and missiles are working fine and are good weapon choices with up and downsides, just like the other weapon systems.

2. You do not ‘need’ to get your security standings up. I mean, you can choose to do so but for many playstyles your security standings don’t matter. I live in null sec and security standings do very little for me, yet I have them at near maximum because I sometimes kill npc pirates.
    Security standings have more meaning in high sec I think, but I don’t go there except on a high sec alt.

3. EVE is still EVE: big pvp sandbox where people gather, compete, trade, haul, fight, etc. I don’t think the base idea of the game changed much if at all in those years.

I was not around in EVE 8 years ago, but some of the more important changes in the past years are:

• structures owned by players aren’t completely safe for your assets. Usually your assets go to asset safety if the structure blows up, but those assets might drop if the structure goes into ‘abandoned’ state after not being fueled for a week.
  • new factions: triglavians and edencom npcs will shoot you unless you have positive standings to them. They roam mainly high sec. You start with negative standings towards trigs.

There are many other changes, but unless I know what you plan to do in EVE I’m not sure they will all apply to you.