Returning player

Hello and thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help/advise.

I have been away from EVE for a long time and am returning with a friend.
I have just logged onto my old account which I played on for a few months and am wondering if its worth starting fresh or if what I accumulated in my youngers days is worth resurrecting.

I am not sure what all the changes mean, and my memory is a little vague so Ill try my best to ask what I feel is prudent.

I have 2,803,861 skill points and 379,003 unallocated, is this worth much in time?

My net worth is 35,323,161, and I have 10,000,000 on my character, is this much in todays economy?

I would like to get into mining/hauling or similar, my attributes are P24, M 16, W 22, I 19, C 18. Would a new character give me better attributes?

I have a few ships spread across several systems, is there a way to quick sell, or transport them to a starter zone?

Do I miss out on the new starter experience or story?

I am open to other considerations also.

Many Thanks!!

Join the club. Literally. Dont come back, atleast for now.

If you plan on staying Alpha, thats quite a lot of time.

Net worth doesnt really mean anything, and 10 mill is meh. But skillpoint-wise, you have enough to justify continuing with your current character.

Unless, of course, you hate the chars name or did something shady and people havent forgotten about you.

You should be able to change your attributes if need be, you get one free remap a year.

Not really. I would mostly abandon anything worth less than 1 million isk, but then again i have like 800 billion isk, and thats just in ISK.

I am sure you are missing out on nothing.

Best thing to do is to join a good starter corp. One that will support you, give you free ships, roam with you and show you the ropes. 100% the best advice to any new player.

Good luck!

1 Like

thanks very much great answer, I was leaning towards using a referral link and starting fresh to get the 1,000,000 free SP and access the NPE but you have tilted the balance in favour of restarting. I like my character name, I am Caldari and not sure if that’s the best choice for what I want to do…

Theres nothing stopping you from making a new character, you can always do a referral link, make a new character, and check out the NPE. I have 8 accounts and close to 15 characters after all, with most having atleast 20, 30 million SP, just to try out new things. You get 3 character slots for a reason.

Also, doesnt really matter what race you are. Only affects some few minor skills that you have at the very beginning, but thats about it. You can learn any skill that you want, and in the end, it becomes meaningless as to what your starter race was. I wish it mattered more, but im at the point that i cant remember if this character started out as gallente or caldari.

2 Likes

At that amount of skillpoints, I’d recommend coming back to your character and also remapping to evenly spread the points between every attribute but charisma (corps and boosting skills mostly).

You’re “new” enough that a focused remap will harm you more than help you. You’ll be better suited training a whole lot of skills to the III-IV mark and getting a few choice V’s from across the skilltree. Things like Drones V, Hull Upgrades V, and one or two racial gun skills to V for access to Tech II turrets.

Look into the Enyo, Harpy, and Wolf as early “advanced” ships to train towards and send an application off to one of the nullsec newbro alliances (if and only if you’re comfortable with being on voice chat with other people). Flying with them in standing/response/fun fleets will learn ya the game and get you competent pretty quick.

When I started, I didn’t do any of that.

I remapped for Int/Mem and very nearly ended up quitting over it. My “brilliant” plan was to train all the armor/engineering/shield/etc. skills to IV-V right off the bat. I detoured a bit to get some drone skills, and that basically left me in an arbitrator for most of the first year.

DO NOT DO THIS. It makes chugging draino sound appetizing.

*edit: mining and hauling are fine enough, but they don’t have a lot of growth potential early on. Freighters take an enormous amount of skillpoints and isk, especially when running courier contracts. Mining is more doable, but, again, you’ll find it more profitable in null.

Thanks a lot, I am thinking of starting a corp for just me and my friend to mine and haul, but now considering joining something established

There is no one size fits all. However mining and hauling are not game styles that will provide you great income and are heavily predated upon by well established players.

I would straight up say don’t bother hauling.

Mining if it really captures your imagination should be done as part of a corp ideally that runs fleets, buy backs and can stake claim to some moons.

High sec will offer doing things on a smaller scale in a more relaxed manner.

Low sec you are getting into bigger corps and alliances that have more strict rules and might expect you to fleet up in pvp ships to protect structures.

NPC null, very busy space. You will struggle to mine there without having the support of a big corp/alliance that will have some rules you need to follow about being on coms pvp doctrines to train etc.

Null sec, you are talking about either being in a rental corp or renting yourself or joining a very big alliance coalition that will have strict rules about what you can do, mine, and joining comms. Expect minimum weekly/monthly requirements for joining defence fleets and having to download mumble and possibly teamspeak.

If you want to get out of mining and into pvp then for my money npc null is the best place to be. You can make great isk running pirate burners and fund a modest pvp habit. Depending on if you are solo or if you join a smal corp/alliance you will have few to no blues to worry about and you will only need to identify the blops baiters.

To be a good hauler you have to learn ganking and antiganking, otherwise both groups will kill or steal from you.

Learn basic thing like:
-having at least 12k ehp will posibly save you from most solo tornado gankers from 0.7 to 1.0 system security
-learn how to properfly cloak trick
-learn how to tank the ship, with bulkheads on low slots and rigs and damage control
-learn the damage types against snipers (EM/Explosive)
-learn how to insta warp the hauler by using a second charactter applying 2-3 webs, that’s the webber alt
-learn how to use the webber alt to do a ping warp and rewarp at 10km to the hauler before the hauler uncloak at the gate to be webbed
-learn that cargo expanders are your death, use with extreme caution or don’t use it
-learn everything about contract scams and scams against haulers
-learn about logistic ships, shields and armor repairs

There’s a lot more, but everything above will save you from many situations.

1 Like

Man i havent played this game in years. I was running 2 different accounts simultaneously since i was big into mining the last I played. SO, my question is how limited is the ALPHA ACCOUNT? Is OMEGA just corporate skills or will it limit skills that a solo player needs to survive and generate ISK? I know I had just got into manufacturing before I stopped playing, but that was well over 8 years ago. Im just curious how limited ALPHA is.
EDIT: Nevermind. I decided to reinstall the game and found out many of my ships require OMEGA Subscription and anything worth while seems to require OMEGA. I do understand skill tree changes and having to possibly train things before I can get back into certain things I have already unlocked previously considering how long I was gone, but putting my extractor behind a paywall pretty much made me to decide to uninstall the game again. Too bad. I missed the game and seems my 2 accounts with 1000 gameplay hours will just go unused.
Oh Well

The “paywall” you mention is called “subscription”, and as you have some ships requiring Omega in your hangar, you had already subscribed many years ago (for “2 accounts with 1000 gameplay hours”).
What makes you think it has to be for free now?

A way to carry on: Subscribe for three months, that’s not too much. in that time you can decide if you want to PLEX the following months, enjoy playing that much that you carry on paying, or sell all your Omega stuff and play on casually as Alpha.

hello
i started playing Eve Online when it first came out and i played with family and friends for years.
i quit due to idiots popping people in high sec ,
but i miss the game an want to come back . i tried a couple years ago but everyone thought i was a scammer and thief due to the start date of my char.
i want to come back but the game has changed alot and i really could use some help if anyones willing to take on and old new guy lol ?

Check out the Recruitment Center section of the forums. There are lots of corporations that train new players or rusty old ones too. There are also recruitment channels in-game and on 3rd party forums.

Don’t be judgmental about people PvPing in highsec though. EVE is an open world PvP game and highsec is just as valid as a theatre of conflict as any other space. The highly skilled PvPers who call highsec home are certainly not idiots (well, maybe a few…)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.