Revised EVE Activities & Careers Chart Project - Work in Progress

So I’m working my way through the cards adjusting the badging, based on the little poll that I ran - essentially all activities will now be badged as follows:

Activities that are aimed at rookies and/or Alphas - Alpha monogram
Activities that are restricted to Omega accounts - Omega monogram
Activities that are not particularly limited - no monogram

The problem is that whilst I’ve done a lot of stuff in Eve, there’s a bunch of stuff that I haven’t done, so I want to pick the EVE Online hive mind, if that’s okay.

For what it’s worth, I did look at Alpha and Omega Clone differences, Alpha Clones and Omega Clone lapsing - Quick Facts, Alpha Clone Skill List and the EVE skill list web pages before I posted. The thing is however, whilst these are really good lists of skills, a lot of the activities on the chart are a little bit more nebulous. (some cards have been sorted via these sites though, like PI for example)

Below are a series of quick polls, so please vote on what your view is on the suitability of the activity for Alpha, Omega or either. Skills do play into these activities, but some of it is about how do-able the activity is.¹

I hope that makes sense. Thanks.

:rocket:

1. I’d prefer just votes please and no comments if that’s okay, because there might end up just being too many to go through

2 Likes

Player Versus Environment Activity Cards
Activity Suitability Polls

— — – – - - - – – — —

Ghost Sites - Get unique loot from these dangerously time-limited sites

• Alpha?
  • Omega?
  • Both?

0 voters

— — – – - - - – – — —

Sleeper Caches - Get rare modules and blueprints from these puzzle-like sites

• Alpha?
  • Omega?
  • Both?

0 voters

— — – – - - - – – — —

Escalations - Kill NPCs in a random system following instructions given after the end of some combat anomalies

• Alpha?
  • Omega?
  • Both?

0 voters

— — – – - - - – – — —

Abyssal Running - Income from bounties, loot, salvage, mission rewards and LP. Start with level 1, up to level 4

• Alpha?
  • Omega?
  • Both?

0 voters

— — – – - - - – – — —

Pirate Base Destruction - Income from bounties, loot, salvage, mission rewards and LP. Start with level 1, up to level 4

• Alpha?
  • Omega?
  • Both?

0 voters

— — – – - - - – – — —

High-Sec Incursions - Challenging yet already mastered lucrative PvE that requires fleets and teamwork

• Alpha?
  • Omega?
  • Both?

0 voters

— — – – - - - – – — —

Low/Null Incursions - Very challenging lucrative PvE that requires fleets, teamwork and presents risks of PvP encounters

• Alpha?
  • Omega?
  • Both?

0 voters

2 Likes

It’s just more of the same - I’d like mineral distribution to come back to High Sec even if in random anomalies. I’d like to see an actual expansion of the Universe. I’d like to see a feasible way to upgrade sec status on solar systems. I’d like to see CCP un-nerf the Barges and the Drake. I’d like to see space mines return (even cloaks ones). Like to see unexpected ore results from High Sec Moon Mining and astroid belt mining - planetary bodies are not this uniform.
How about some actual aliens with an attached nebula. Cheers!

1 Like

Player Versus Player Activity Cards
Solo - Activity Suitability Polls

— — – – - - - – – — —

Small Gang PvP - Join a corporation to PvP as a small to medium group

• Alpha?
  • Omega?
  • Both?

0 voters

— — – – - - - – – — —

Solo PvP - Master your PvP skills to fight alone against one or more ships

• Alpha?
  • Omega?
  • Both?

0 voters

— — – – - - - – – — —

Gang Bank Robbery - Collaborate with a group of pilots to locate an Encounter Surveillance System bank, steal the contents and - escape, avoiding the owners

• Alpha?
  • Omega?
  • Both?

0 voters

— — – – - - - – – — —

Solo Bank Robbery - Locate an Encounter Surveillance System bank, steal the contents and escape, avoiding the owners

• Alpha?
  • Omega?
  • Both?

0 voters

1 Like

There are two general types of ESS interaction (bank robbery):
the normal bank, aka the delayed payout to people who generate the money that goes into the bank (crabbers). Robbing this bank only requires to press the “link” button on the interface and stay within distance for at least 5 min
and
the reserve bank, which requires the use of a special key (hard to get, very expensive to buy, several varieties). This is usually where the big money resides - and usually triggers a hefty response from the sov owners.

In principle, both types are soloable as well as group activities, and none of them require anything that is exclusive to omega. In practice, however, a reserve bank robbery is a group activity. Risk for both types is very high.

P.S. I am a bit surprised you would break it down to that level of minute detail.

3 Likes

. . . O P E N - B E T A - R E L E A S E . . .

I think I’ve now got the chart to a point where it’s ready for an open Beta release. It’s not quite finished yet, but it is at a point where it’s good enough for some mass feedback and testing by rank-and-file players.

So based on this, here are all the links that you need:

Download site one (Google Drive): https://bit.ly/EOCAC-GDD
Download site two (Dropbox): https://bit.ly/EOCAC-DBD

In the main download folder is a PDF file:

READ ME FIRST! - EVE Careers Chart - Version 2.0 Open Beta - Release Notes.pdf

At the risk of stating the bloody obvious please do read this PDF first because there are a bunch of notes that pertain to what variants of the chart are available as well as some feedback notes and so on which I really would like people to look at, first, please.

In addition to this file, there are three folders in the main download folder:

1. Printable Chart
  2. Interactive Chart Folder
  3. Chart Extracts

Although it might be pretty obvious to many, for the sake of clarity, here’s what’s in each folder:

1. Printable Chart
EVE Activities & Careers Chart - V2.0, Beta Release - March 2023 - Print.pdf

The printable version of the chart - 600mm H X 917mm W - completely with trim marks, registration targets and colour calibration strips. Designed for those who might want to print the chart out themselves and/or get it printed out at a poster size by the local print shop

2. Interactive Chart Folder
EVE Activities & Careers Chart - V2.0, Beta Release - March 2023 - Interactive.pdf
EVE Activities & Careers Chart - Hyperlink List.pdf

The interactive version of the chart. Designed for those who just want a version that exists on their computer, but one that offers embedded hyperlinks, allowing end users to pull up additional web-based information on activity genres, activity spines or specific activity cards.

The Hyperlink List file is a stripped down to basics version of the link information presented as a PDF (created from an RTF document to keep the file size down)

3. Chart Extracts
EVE Activities & Careers Chart - V2.0, Beta Release - March 2023 - Community Extract.pdf
EVE Activities & Careers Chart - V2.0, Beta Release - March 2023 - Corporations & Alliances Extract.pdf
EVE Activities & Careers Chart - V2.0, Beta Release - March 2023 - Industry Extract.pdf
EVE Activities & Careers Chart - V2.0, Beta Release - March 2023 - PvE Extract.pdf
EVE Activities & Careers Chart - V2.0, Beta Release - March 2023 - PvP Extract.pdf

Given the physical size of the chart I can easily envisage a scenario whereby you might want to have the benefits of the interactive chart but in a more compact form, and where you might be concentrating on one area of gameplay. The aim of the extracts is precisely this.

So there you have it.

Two years’ work, 5,273 different chart elements, 189 hyperlinks, blood, sweat and tears.

I’m hoping that lots of players will download it, use it and that it will be helpful to them as New Eden Pilots. I’ll be emailing a few people that I know with links and also to say a big thanks for the help and support that you’ve given me as I’ve worked on this project.

I would be really interested in any feedback that people have on the chart, but please read the release notes, and use the email address that is given there to give this, please. Managing all the feedback via the forums might be difficult and time consuming.

Once I’ve had a reasonable amount of feedback come back I will try to update that chart with anything that makes sense, is helpful, practical and doable. Following this I’ll upload the final version 2.0 release (and probably start thinking about version 3.0, but maybe after a holiday!).

The final release info will go into a new forum post. This (long’ish) thread has all been about the development of the project, so it makes sense to me to create a new post as the chart becomes a finished project and therefore more about tweaks than overall development.

7 Likes

Gratz and good job on releasing a Beta version of the newly Revised Eve Career Chart.

Hopefully it doesn’t take as long for the release of the finished product… :wink:

5 Likes

Some downloads so far which is great.

If you have downloaded any of the charts and found them useful, please do encourage others to also download them, rather than sharing the files with them. This is not trying to make it awkward or difficult but it will help me to gauge the level of interest and get a feel for how many people are downloading the files. Thanks.

As previously stated, I would be really interested in getting some end user feedback though please (none received as yet) mostly so that I can make the tweaks that you guys need (where possible) to make the chart work for YOU.

Thanks.

PS: Has anyone found the Easter egg yet? If you have great! (just don’t ruin it for others by publicly saying where it is, please).

2 Likes

Great job! Many thanks. Also, check your email inbox as you will have at least the first end-user feedback.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

Haven’t had much feedback as yet. If you’d downloaded it I’d really appreciate some use feedback please.

1 Like

Downloads are slow but consistent - 65 downloads in total so far at the time of writing. I really want to put out another call for some end-user feedback though, please.

When I made this Beta release I was really hoping that pilots downloading it might give me their thoughts - good, bad or indifferent as to what works, what doesn’t and what needs tweaking. Even if it’s a one-line email saying, “It’s great” or “It’s crap” then I’d be interested, and if you can formulate your thoughts more than this, even better.

Either way, thanks to the people who have downloaded it, please feel free to spread the word that the chart is available.

1 Like

I downloaded the files, very nicely done…

I might have missed it but there’s a few things I think should be changed and or added to the chart.

1. Mission Running is PvE content, not PvP. Granted there’s a PvP column pertaining to it which you have listed in the PvP section but the actual Mission Running column should be in the PvE section.

2. Cosmos Agents, Data Site Agents, Circle Agents and Career Agents are PvE content that’s also not listed in the chart. Each of those ‘Special Storyline Agents’ (and there’s a lot of them) are a one time use to gain Faction Standing increase.

NOTE:
Most Cosmos Agents give Storyline BPC’s to manufacture Storyline Modules (Meta Level 6) using items gained from Cosmos Complexes and regular Hacking sites. Some Cosmos Agents give Faction ship BPC’s and other Cosmos Agents give BPC’s for Booster Production.

Suggestion:
Maybe change the ‘Missions’ box in the PvP section to ‘Mission Griefing’ for that column and move the ‘Mission Running’ column to the PvE section with a ‘Missions’ box added there. Could then split that and add another column for all the ‘Special Storyline Agents’ = Career, Circle, Data and Cosmos Agents.

1. New Player Experience isn’t included either. Granted the Career Agents and the AIR Program are introduced to new players with Character Creation but there’s a lot of Career Agents available, 3 set’s of 5 Career Agents for each of the 4 main Factions, plus the Air Program has different objectives to complete for rewards consisting of various equipment items, ISK and SP’s.

Suggestion:
Maybe add a separate box to the chart for NPE (New Player Experience) like how you did for Project Discovery. Could even expand it a bit to also include the AIR Program.

1. Faction War also isn’t included in the chart. That’s PvP content mixed in with PvE content as well.

Anyway, that’s pretty much what I see, hope it helps…

1 Like

Greetings sir,

The problem is that you put these into pdf format in an era of webpages and nobody trusting PDFs. :smiley: Your attempt at fidelity has caused your content to not be consumed.

I run a wiki website https://www.wckg.net/ and I’m attempting to gather newbie charts and such, and I’m going to dedicate a section for you, but i’m going to break the format a bit because the way google sites do the images.

If yo’ure still down, I can host these images, though we’d have to shrink them down a bit.

I will say you’re missing some of the new activities like CRAB Beacons and Reserve key sites but I recognize this is a challenge for you.

I’m going to attempt to capture your spirit in a slightly different format, if you’ll permit me here.

Talk to me on the eve online discord at some point!

You posted your reply to me instead of posting it to the OP… :neutral_face:

Sorry man, misclick on my part. :smiley:

Anyway, I dropped the OP a message as he requested, will see what happens with it!

Thanks for the post @Kismeteer and for the email.

For the purposes of transparency, I’m going to reply here rather than via email if that’s okay.

Here’s the main body of the email text that was sent over for those who are interested:

I saw your eve activities career charts, and I’d like to modernize it a bit. Ideally by adding it to a google website and making it a little more of a living document. I think I have a way of doing it, and just wanted your permission to use what you’ve built so far. And finding an easy way to recreate the images.

Firstly, thanks for your post, the email, and for your interest in the chart. No need to call me ‘sir’. As NCOs frequently say, I work for a living. LOL

In terms of adding it to the www.wckg.net website and/or ‘… modernising it a bit…’ and "… adding it to a Google website …" to make it “ a little more of a living document .” I don’t think this is going to work for a few reasons.

1. Having spent around two years of my life re-drawing the revised chart up, sorting out a new look and feel (with the blessing of the original designer) revising and sorting the career spines, career cards, creating 5,273 different elements in Adobe Illustrator, developing a hyperlinked version as well as a high-resolution printable version and so on, right now I’m not massively enthusiastic about handing over all my hard work to someone else so that they can run with it. No disrespect is intended or implied here.

2. You wrote in the post above, “I’m attempting to gather newbie charts and such, and I’m going to dedicate a section for you”. Whilst I do appreciate the offer, as it happens, I’ve been in communication with the website manager for EVE University’s Wiki for some time now and I’ve agreed with them that once the chart has reached a stable release (eg: not where it is now but the next version with all the user feedback added in) they’re going to host it on their Wiki, and there’ll be no need to “shrink it down a bit”. The page has been created but it’s not ‘live’ as yet. Ethically, I think it’d be quite wrong of me to go back on this existing arrangement.

3. I think it is currently a ‘living document’ for what it’s worth. I am trying to solicit feedback from end users wherever I can (a few of people have made useful suggestions here and via email which will get added in shortly - feel free to send in more though guys) and therefore I’m not clear what end is served by handing it over to someone else to own and develop, especially when I intend to do this myself.

4. You mentioned on the forum post that you wrote, “ pdf format in an era of webpages and nobody trusting PDFs. Your attempt at fidelity has caused your content to not be consumed”. I’m sorry to say that I think you are quite wrong here, on all fronts:

• As far as I’m aware - and I’m a professional graphic designer in my other life - there is nothing wrong with PDF as a format; it’s an industry standard and is widely used. And this is especially true if you want to create documents that can be both interactive and printable. The whole point of having two versions of the chart is so that people can download a high-resolution version that’s printable at a poster size for sticking up where they play EVE if they want to and also a version with interactivity for people who just want it on their computer.

• In terms of trusting PDFs, I think that may well be a personal perspective rather than a commonly held societal view.

• Contrary to your assertion that, " Your attempt at fidelity has caused your content to not be consumed " the content definitely is being consumed. Having set up bit.ly links, specifically so that I could monitor downloads, I’m very happy to report that there have been consistent and steady downloads on virtually every day since the open beta was released.

As mentioned above, I am definitely interested in all user feedback and yours is just as relevant and as noteworthy as the next guy’s so if you do have specific comments on the chart please feel free to send these across.

2 Likes

Sure thing, best of luck. I’m sorry you misunderstood what I wanted to do, but that’s fine. It’s a full website, so I can develop as much or as little as I wanted, and I wanted to do this the quick and easy path aka the material. But I can do that otherwise instead.

The reason I started the wiki was because poor interactions with the wiki team, specifically around posting content that is useful to the #new-player-questions on discord site. When we finally started putting content out, things got torn down pretty quickly. Granted, we were putting substantial eve content up rather than research papers. :smiley: Until it gets past Arin, it doesn’t go up on the site. So have you talked to Arin or another person of the wiki team?

In the meantime, I guess I’ll go ahead with my revamp on it anyway. Wish you the best of luck with your progress, it looks very pretty.

1 Like

BTW, the actual warning from google when I download this is ‘This could be a virus, are you sure’.

Also, your first link is dead.

One other issue you might want to address:

• Adv. Broker Relations is hard to read and looks bad in the pdf. I’ve included a screenshot of what it looks like, zoomed in, on the main page.

You might want to move the links to the top of the page instead.

And i’ve given this thread a link here: Wiki Circa Kismeteer's Guide - Beginner Activities

1 Like

About 150 people have downloaded the open beta version of the chart now - although I’ve only had a fairly limited amount of feedback so far.

I do really appreciate the feedback that has come in, and I will be looking to incorporate some/most of this into the next version of the chart over the next few weeks.

If you haven’t given any feedback yet, I would really appreciate it if you could jot down your thoughts and let me know what you think about the chart - all constructive criticism will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

1 Like