Revised EVE Activities & Careers Chart Project - Work in Progress

Got it, thanks. < smiles >

PS: put Mining right smack in the middle with lines connecting to all the others :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I have no intention of doing that! LOL

Although I’m mostly a miner in EVE, in terms of the design of this chart, I’ll be 100% objective.

All play styles that exist, irrespective of my personal interests one way or another, will be treated equally.

Mining is a legitimate career path, but one that is no more, or less, important than any other one.¹

Useful (although I don’t know much about ESS because I’m not a null sec’er). I did find the following info online …

What is an ESS?

More Deployables From Super Friends

Encounter Surveillance System Update

Robbing Some Space Banks

Could you possibly post a diagram (maybe use the existing chart, saved as a PDF and write onto it as a note?) of where you see ESS (and any appropriate career titles - bank robber?) fitting in please?

Good luck with the chart, will look great !!

Thanks!

:rocket:

1 . I did know that you were joking by the way @Han_Zealot you little minx, I just didn’t want the possibility to creep in of people thinking I might be biased in my approach to the design because of my personal career choices. < grins >

1 Like

My drawing skills are abysmal.
I would put the ESS block on the PVP/Piracy part.
Title: BANK ROBBING.
Text: Locate a rich ESS, steal from the Main Bank and avoid the angry owners.

p.s. I was wrong about the public fleets, they are mentioned on the '16 chart.

2 Likes

I’ve created the box that you suggested @Wadiest_Yong and it’s in the latest update at the top. I slightly amended your text to bring the style into line with the rest of the boxes. Let me know if you like it.

1 Like

only one bump in a 24 hour period… not 2 hr lol.

1 Like

all guud :smile:

1 Like

Make a more defined border between the various groupings, such as PvE, RPG, and Journalism.

Also, add to journalism, an in-game and and out-of-game section. Also, include the option for joining ISD volunteers.

I like the addition of the Alpha and Omega icons. New players can concentrate on the alpha blocks initially, and dream of the future looking at the Omegas.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

OK, how did this get reopened?

OP asked politely. So it was reopened.

5 Likes

:heart: That’s nice of you. It’s about a work in progress so I feel the thread should not have been closed - even though my feelings have no bearing in these forum whatsoever - so thank you.

Nice, Bravo.

It would look less lonely with some shading inside the indicator, a grey gradient maybe or a thicker contour line?

That’s a nice thought. I think yes, you should.

You’re welcome!

It’s going to look neat. Thank you for this effort :heart:

4 Likes

3 months with zero activity = automatic closure.

Please don’t mix Alpha/Omega with New/Old player

There are activities for omega rookies just as well as activities for alpha veterans

incursions and bank robbery for example

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure Han knows the forum rules.

5 Likes

:heart:

2 Likes

I am aware that there are old Alpha accounts out there.
He mentioned inclusiveness and player retention so I agreed with him based on those two aspects but you’re right about what you posted.
Anyways, he’s asking for opinions, not guidance. Let’s wait and see what he comes up with.

1 Like

Apologies for not having posted any Revised Eve Career Chart progress updates for ages.

The pressure of RL* (including some Coronavirus stuff) has sadly meant that I haven’t really been able to focus on it for a while, but I’m now about to start working on it again and hopeful get it on the way to being finished.

I think it’ll be worth it in the end because essentially I’m redrawing the chart in Adobe Illustrator which will mean that the finished file will be layered, editable and importantly vectorised so that it will be possible to enlarge it without any quality drop off.

I have got a lot done, but there is still a fair bit of work to do.

I’ve had some excellent feedback from @Sara_Seraph, @Han_Zealot and @Wadiest_Yong (thanks guys) which I’m going to try to add into the chart.

I would appreciate some input from pilots on the subject of the Encounter Surveillance System please.

@Wadiest_Yong suggested it’s inclusion which is a good call however I don’t really know that much it so I’d welcome input on the following.

Below is the card for ESS.

Each career card on the chart has two sets of shoulder chevrons. The left hand chevrons indicate the difficulty level (green = easy, red = hard). The right hand chevrons indicate how much ISK you’ll need to make it successful (one = cheap, three = expensive).

Can someone give me a steer on what the grading for each of these should be on this card please?

Thanks!

PS: A notable thanks also goes to @ISD_Dorrim_Barstorlode for graciously reopening this thread when I asked. It had shut down because of my inaction but they re-opened it for me. I didn’t really want to place info on the project progress elsewhere either so this was super helpful. You’re a total star Dorrim, thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @Lara_Agnon, @Han_Zealot, very useful stuff.

My thought was that since there isn’t enough space on the career cards to have both Alpha and Omega monograms on them (and at this stage, because I’ve done a lot of the work, I don’t want to start redesigning them) and since I was going to write some guidance notes on the chart anyway, I’d pick up on this aspect in the notes.

There are three variants of the career cards that I’m using on the chart: an Alpha Card, an Omega card and a blank card (see below, this is dummy text by the way so ignore that)

My thinking was that for activities that are restricted to Omega accounts (for example PI) I’d use a card with an Omega monogram. For activities that are not limited (for example posting to the forums) I’d use a blank card and for activities that are aimed at rookies and/or Alphas then I’d use a card with an Alpha monogram.

My logic here is to try to point rookie players (whatever account they might have) towards things that are fun and easy’ish to start on. This will hopefully enable them to get into the game without falling badly at the first metaphorical fence, which, in turn, might help with new player retention and come across as slightly more inclusive and welcoming.

Does that make sense?

3 Likes

Makes perfect sense to me.
I think you know exactly what you want and what you’re doing. In the end, our input would’ve just been to clear up a few details and the odd esthetic issue.
Can’t wait to see it finished and polished but take your time, no deadline has been set :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It looks like you’re preparing the visual design at the moment mostly, have you got an excel file or similar listing all the different career boxes to see what gaps need filling?

1 Like