Rookie NPE crisis unfolding in Gallente space

Dozens of lifeless rookies had to be recloned by rescue workers in the Rookie Help channel, after malicious attacks and station camping took place in Couster. The toll was high, wrecks and frozen meat piled high on the doorstep. Culprits were Triglavians who had set their sights on a Gallente career mission hub during one of their invasions.

Really, ccp, we rookie help volunteers try to bring them in for keeps, sweet talk them, pet them, hold their hands for a little while before they die, and you slaughter them ? We have a hard time pretending this is all normal and part of the rookies’ learning curve. Think of the Children !!

On a more serious note, can’t you keep the trig invasions away from the career mission constellations, please ? As a part of the NPE, this one does score low, funny I admit, but still low.

12 Likes

EVE Online: The first hit is always free.

6 Likes

Triglavian Invasion is happening in the NPE starter systems and ganking new players? Yeah, that will definitely inspire them to play this game.

I was using a max skilled Alpha character in a Destroyer and my travel route went through an Invasion system right next to a New Player Starter system. My ship’s defensive tank was fit with Republic Fleet Medium Shield Extender, Dread Guristas Adaptive Invulnerability Field (I always activate asap), Damage Control II and a Small Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I rig. With the Invul mod active, my ship has 10,617 ehp’s, shield amount is 2,400 hp’s, shield resists are 60% EM, 57% Thermal, 68% Kinetic, 73% Explosive. Align time to warp is 4.86s.

About a dozen Trig ships were on the gate and as soon as I clicked ‘Warp To / Jump’ for the next gate, they immediately locked, applied Ewar and fired upon me. By the time I entered warp, my ship took 9 hits for 392 damage points which took 1/5th of my shield down. Screenshot.

My alt character has various defensive damage compensation skills trained up that brand new unskilled and inexperienced players wouldn’t know about, let alone have trained up. Hell, new players are still learning how to work the User Interface, plus the NPE tells new players to use Autopilot. The NPE doesn’t even mention training up fitting and damage compensation skills or say anything about proper piloting, ship fitting, etc. Plus all the graphics in-game are pretty amazing, especially in a Triglavian controlled system, probably has new players gazing all around in awe.

So yeah, great lesson being taught to brand new players in the process of completing the NPE. No wonder this game has a problem retaining new players.

15 Likes

Does the default overview still not have trig ships enabled? If so, that could also result in a bunch of mysterious deaths to a new pilot.

11 Likes

I don’t know about the default Overview settings, I use a customized version of Eve University’s Overview.

Anyway, I had to manually add the Trig’s and all the other Diamond marked NPC’s to my Overview. I think the new NPC’s don’t automatically get added.

1 Like

Perhaps CCP understands that ships are supposed to blow up. The NPE gives players a bunch of basically free ships. Eve is not a mining/market simulator. Losing a frigate is not going to cause a new player to quit - at least not one that would have lasted more than 7 days anyway.

1 Like

You don’t know that.

Also new players don’t have the skills or knowledge to do a good fit. Hell, they’re still learning how to understand / operate the User Interface.

8 Likes

I don’t know anything. But I like my version better than - OMG! A New Player Lost Their Ship! Eve in Dying! Petition for Reimbursement! Eliminate all threats - we must coddle them or they won’t like Eve!

There’s a huge gap between coddling and actively driving them away.

16 Likes

Might be a step to far in the NPE with the Trigs essentially popping them in the starter systems.

1 Like

Imagine spending your energies trying to trick people into staying in this decrepit, aged MMO that is 6 years past its prime and on life support. I’m sure if you step back and think about what you’re doing, you’ll soon realise you’re doing these guys no favour.

1 Like

Imagine spending your energies posting on the forums of a game you don’t like…

9 Likes

Bringing chaos to high sec. Love it.

New players aren’t children. They are gamers, looking for a challenging and interesting game to play.

They don’t need your “protection”, especially from these NPCs that can be largely avoided. They do want your guidance, at least most will, so feel free to interact with them and help them understand the world, but you don’t need to shield them from the very game itself.

There is a bell-shaped curve of ‘difficulty’ that players will find acceptable or interesting. Some players will turn the game off if they experience any setback, others will turn it off out of boredom if they don’t feel like they earned that progress. Most want something in the middle where they feel challenged but still progress. Given a rookie system spawn hasn’t happened before and we have had many months of Invasion spawn, I’m even willing to be this spawn is intentional and is an attempt by CCP to gather data on new player retention in the face of slightly increased adversity.

Regardless, go help the new players if it stimulates some parental circuit in your monkey brain giving you pleasure. But let’s stop the virtue signalling and infantilizing other adult gamers on the forum so you can feel better about yourself.

Honestly, this tendency of Eve players to treat new entrants as children might even hurt retention more than it helps. Most adults are fine with accepting they are a novice and have a way to go until mastery of a new thing, but when you treat them as a child and mollycoddle them from the game itself or just tell them what to do rather than help them learn, it just contributes to the perception of Eve as an inaccessible game where they are at a massive disadvantage (which, to make things worse, is also true).

7 Likes

This thread is kind of about that, I think. Or rather, the form of guidance and the pacing of the challenges.

https://forums.eveonline.com/t/eve-online-invasion-general-feedback/162472/151?u=sordina1

https://forums.eveonline.com/t/really-again-ccp-invasion-in-soe-epic-arc-systems/182526

And I bet spawns are more frequent.
But rookies don’t report things (actual CCP data). They will just quit because broken NPE.

2 Likes

Why would we want new players? fresh content? I would recommend Warcraft Classic, much better experience

So what if they die?

1 Like

hisec is not a place to new players / it should be but it is what it is - this type of thinking is a relict of the old time. if you are new player buy some injectors using isk or visa and go to 0.0 directly.

goonswarm will welcome you.

2 Likes

Yes, sure, of course they get the advice of safely undocking in a pod and gtfo to Clellinon or Trossere to try again, but they shouldn’t have to need that advice in their first hour of Eve. It’s a concern.

This has nothing to do with our usual spartan-darwinian attitude of htfu or gtfo, we keep that until they have at least Spaceship Command level 2 and know there is a Corvette button.

The situation (re-read “situation” and not “adult gamers”) I signaled is more along the lines of a waitress screaming at you to p*** off when you ask for the menu while stabbing you to death with a huge carving knife. Remember the last time you tried out a new game and could not even get started ? Would you consider the word ‘unwise’ in describing such an oversight in the approach to your New Player/Consumer Experience ?

You may not remember what exactly a career agent hub is. The typical new player there has no workable knowledge of the UI yet, is trying to start the career part of the tutorials, literally barely knows how to undock, in short a total noob. Throwing those fresh, potential subscribers to trig campers in a single-station system they are told to go to by the tutorial, a fight they can’t possibly survive until much later (let alone win or even understand), regardless their intellect, attitude and knowledge, should perhaps be reconsidered. That is the underlying suggestion. Remember, there isn’t a single veteran who started his or her Eve stint under these conditions. Being ganked by players early on is an experience one can at least understand, accept or defend, but powerful game npc’s turned against the newest of players in an unwinnable scenario that’s perhaps not a welcome at all.

12 Likes