Rumors! Gossip! Tabloids!

Richard Masseri is, by any measure, a complex and controversial figure.

The self-proclaimed Intaki separatist and “freedom fighter,” spoke with me recently in the Star Traveler’s Lounge about his beliefs and vision for the future of “his” people. He explained that while he respected the Federation, he felt Intaki had not recently benefitted from being a member of the Federal Union. He expressed his desire for independence but went to great pains to stress that neither he nor the movement he belongs to were nationalist or segregationist. He hopes that Intaki, as an independent power, can maintain peaceful trade and cultural ties with all and that such would be beneficial and possible.

Throughout the interview, Masseri’s passion and conviction were on full display. He is a man with a vision and a purpose, but also someone who understands the complexities of the current geopolitical situation. Given the current state of affairs, he acknowledged that achieving the goal of Intaki independence would be improbable. However, he remains hopeful that change can occur.

Masseri stressed that what is happening to Intaki at the moment is a turning point and that the fate of “his” people hung in the balance. He implored anyone who believed in an independent future for Intaki to join the Intaki Liberation Front or participate in any way consistent with their individual ethics in supporting its objectives.

I did ask Masseri for any insights regarding the rumors of kidnapping, torture, and murder surrounding Sakaane Eionell’s departure from the ILF, of which Masseri was not present at the time. Masseri spoke highly of Eionell, describing her as an upstanding individual to a fault, and expressed sadness if any part of the rumors were true.

The interview left me with a sense of both respect and concern. Respect for his passion, conviction, and dedication to a cause whose probability of success diminishes. Concern when considering the complex political and social dynamics surrounding the Intaki question, especially in an atmosphere of heightened tension, and his veiled refusal to repudiate the use of violence in the achievement of his goals. Regardless of one’s personal beliefs, Masseri’s words were sure to leave a lasting impression.

Reporting for See & Hear.

Ailer Stane

11 Likes