Sandbox Design Mistakes

I respect your beliefs on this matter, however I’m quite happy with our adjustment to this era of MTU tyranny.

Your thoughts on whether it’s “carebearish” or “stealing loot or greifing others”, as you say, is another thing for another topic, perhaps?

1 Like

Funny, most the objections stem from two of the worst design requirements for a sandbox, and really any MMO:

• Make everything solo able
  • Bigger is better
1 Like

I agree with most of the OP’s points.

MTU is more or less a quality-of-life change in my eyes. Not the best gameplay addition, but still has merits.

I am slightly conflicted about Abyssal content. On one hand, it’s the first PvE stuff that I found interesting in a long, long time. On the other, instanced content is contrary to everything EVE stands for. The latter consideration wins over, but begrudgingly so.

The OP seems to have confused ‘Sandbox design’ with ‘easy PvP design’. They’re two different issues and design goals.

Of course, nobody at CCP seems to understand the difference either, so I guess it’s not that serious an error in this game.

1 Like
  1. What are you on about, the abyssal space? It’s merely a new concept to Eve. Check the map when in abyssal space and see where you are. Yes you are still on the map! Though not where you started. It’s not instanced, it’s teleportation to a harsh place. Perhaps you should take a ship out there and… oh wait every system is an “instance” of a sort. Go figure.
  2. Yes I remember the free wrecks channel and the ninja salvagers too. If you don’t like it you can shoot the MTU. It beats that Shroedinger’s tears thing though, right? If the mission runner says nothing, is it because he’s buttmad or not? Is he shooting the wrecks because tears, or not? I tried to bait him but he didn’t shoot me, therefore… TEARS!!! Or not? Or a bot? Fack it all.
    Nope. You have to shoot that MTU now. Solves a lot of questions and you don’t have to bait with a salvager ship and then go run to get the PVP ship.
  3. Are we back on abyssals? Or is there some content I’m missing? Look I’m all for gated deadspace complexes that only let the ships that need to be let through, through. But I have seen players with ships fast enough that they align down the jump gate and actually get to the mission room without using the gate.
  4. The best solution would have been to let every ship fire in “dummy mode” meaning that once jammed, all missiles and turrets can be fired straight ahead. That would have been the solution to the perma-jam AIDS that used to infect this game.
  5. Indeed they did cave to the nullbears and bot lords. Frankly the blackout was nuked by another feature that occured a while ago: ships that do not appear on D-scan. Of course cloaked ships don’t appear on D-scan too, but that cloak works 23/7 without “cost”. Blackout was great but implementing it alone without addressing the other two issues of d-scan proof ships and perma-cloak at the same time was not going to go anywhere practical.
  6. Where it up to me ALL mining would have been done by NPCs. That is, if you wanted rocks, you purchase NPC driven minding and processing ships and hire crews and let them go do their thing. But… always a but… ANYBODY could shoot them even in highsec. This would have been the prevention of the “victim victimizer” role of Eve. “Miners” would not be miners actually but instead people flying around in PVP ships ready to defend their mining ops and lay the smackdown on anybody shooting their assets. The longer NPC crews are alive, the better the mining ship operates. . It would have made Eve a much better game. In before REEEEE!
  7. The solution to SOV null, or the entire game, would have been to make resources finite or at least make it possible to strip roids and moons dry such that it has to be left alone for a while in order to be usable again. This forever respawning resource thing denies the one conflict driver that ever mattered in all of human history: limited resources. You would not have endless capitals consisting of the mass of small moons if in fact it took the removal of a small moon to build one.

Excluding frig co-ops and the 1v1 PVP arenas, the fact the no one else can join the room or sequence of rooms once you enter means it’s instanced in the context in which he is speaking. Yes, they’re instances.

Shooting MTUs does not solve the problems that MTUs introduced. If five times as many people were hunting MTUs as there were now, the MTU problems still would not be addressed.

Gated complexes and instances are completely and totally unrelated. Gated complexes are not instanced in the context in which OP is speaking - anyone can join in at any time, whereas this is not true for Abyssal (other than the frig co-op buddies you bring in with you or the 1v1 pvp arena where no one else can join after the pairing is formed)

:neutral_face:

:neutral_face:

Resource redistribution is currently in phase 2 of 3 is already having a huge impact. Phase 3 is going to be dynamic resource distribution, and presumably that means the availability and allocation of resources themselves will change over time. It’s not as if CCP is stopping there either regarding conflict over resources, and how it will rebalance the availability of caps as a result of resource availability. Rorqs can’t exactly feed non-stop cap production when they need vast quantities of the least available minerals in the area of operations.

2 Likes

yeah but is fun

1 Like

People in this thread seem to be conflicted about what “instanced” content means.

The simple definition is that it is content that’s isolated from other players. Abyssal sites are instanced content. Other types of content, such as gated complexes, could be instanced content if it’s impossible for anyone except a specific player to enter. If it’s just a matter of having the proper key, then it’s not instanced content, if it’s possible to acquire the key through gameplay.

It’s actually considered an exploit to do that, and has been for some time. Check out CCP’s official exploits list. I disagree that it should be an exploit, personally.

Not really workable in this game, though. Both from a code perspective (no physical projectiles or hit detection), and from a gameplay perspective (unworkable camera perspectives and ship controls).

No REEEEE, but this is already more than possible with current gameplay mechanics. Have some players mining, and some players protecting.

It wouldn’t work in practice anyway. Miners (usually carebears) wouldn’t aggro against players who attack their NPC mining buddies anyway.

Ahh but there would not be any carebears in this. Or, there would have never been any in the first place.

Nonsense. It’s the textbook example of an instance: a private version of the game where you do your thing away from everyone doing the same content. Whether or not you think instanced PvE is a good thing it’s indisputably instanced PvE.

Frankly the blackout was nuked by another feature that occured a while ago: ships that do not appear on D-scan.

Not really. Blackout was nuked by nullbear farmer trash that didn’t like the idea of being forced to maintain a permanent PvP presence to be able to farm. 100% effective d-scan as an early warning tool is not a prerequisite for removing local as an early warning tool. Nullbear farmers just need to deal with the fact that they may not always have advance notice that an incoming threat is present and be ready fight in PvP at all times.

IMO it should be considered an exploit. The intent is for the gate to be a barrier to entry for all non-approved ships, you’re just exploiting the fact that CCP was too lazy to set the warp distance to some arbitrarily large number that no ship could ever cross without warping. CCP should fix this problem instead of leaving it and complaining when people exploit it, but it’s still the textbook definition of an exploit.

yeah i remember a lot of bzzzzzzzzz bzzzzzzz little bees crying about the blackout and can confirm that

Please do not nerf or remove orca it is one of the better hauling ships/mobile base ships. If you wanna remove the mining bonuses idgaf, I just want my huge nomad hauler and its very sturdy.

If y’all hate MTUs so much just shoot them. Conc doesn’t intervene and mission runners don’t have scrams.

Instanced PvP is a good way for inexperienced/green pilots to at least get an idea of what PvP is like. Everyone keeps complaining about people who don’t PvP as much yet no solutions are provided for newbies who might not be able to afford to continuously sacrifice ships to the PvP void moneysink. People should have an ability to dip their toes in the water before being thrown headfirst into the deep end. Seriously, makes me think that there’s just a ton of career pirates complaining that there are less and less easy targets because their actions cause the easy targets to leave the game.

Isn’t capital ship creep simply due to the fact that these alliances are so large that virtually nothing can fight them? Then when all hell finally breaks loose trillions of isk are dumped into a cataclysmic battle? If anything, this is just a symptom of the fact that alliances can get as huge as they want. Just a gut feeling there.

I’d venture to guess that the devs who originally designed gated complexes specifically intended for players to be able to manually fly there, if they were willing to put in the time. There’s no way they set the 30,000 kilometer variable without thinking “well hmm, how long would it take a guy in an interceptor to get there?”

The background reason for the exploit was that people bypassed ship size restrictions this way. There was some drama with hardcore Chinese bot farmers who parked in those complexes from server start to downtime. It was impossible to do anything about them, so some players (including myself) started going in there manually with PvP-fit ships to bump them and try to kill the overseer structures before they could (nano-HACs were particularly useful in this regard). The Chinese botters mass-petitioned us. Naturally, CCP warned and threatened to ban us, and added new provisions into the exploit list, while doing absolutely nothing about the bots themselves. A few years later, the problem resolved itself after CCP removed static complexes.

1 Like

damn!

Yet again: killing MTUs does not solve a problem. 5x players killing MTUs than there are now won’t solve the problems MTUs cause.

In theory this could be true, except that we’re talking about Abyssal battlegrounds, and only the fiercest of PVPers end up in the battlegrounds here. Death is also mandatory (and VERY expensive), so no, your logic does not apply here. There is no “carebear” arena in existence. The closest thing we have to that are duels in HS, and even then it is possible to bait-and-switch hulls once a duel has started (such as in-space ship swapping from a previously cloaked Orca or simply swapping at a station) even if you were to ship-scan your opponent to verify that he initially started with a suitable hull for you to duel against.

Oh I thought the instanced PvP scenario was faction wars and their ship limitations.

Those aren’t instances since they’re globally accessible (ie. other players can join in at any time) like all other non-abyssal content. Although some sites have ship restrictions via gates, gated sites are not the same as instances.

What is “instanced content” in the term of mmo in that case is not the system but the dungeon. each fleet using a filament gets its own instance of dungeon, and what’s more RESERVED FOR THEM. (because yes missions are instanced per user to - bur not limited to the user)

Yes, OP is an idiot and used the wrong term. No, he won’t be able to change that because he can’t accept his errors. What YOU can do as an intelligent person is understand that he made a mistake and address the other stupid points he made, like saying human-MTU was an interesting job for the game.

They are instances. In a video game everything is an instance, from an “account”, to a “command” or a “bug”, you manipulate instances by using their model. Even the executable in an instance of the game.

They are just not instanced content in the mmo acceptation.

There’s hardly any need to go that far for the sake of semantics. We all know what the OP meant when he said “instanced content”…

3 Likes

mtus are not the problem. your complete lack of creativity is . To suggest the click fest that was salvaging before mtus is some how a step in the right direction is utter nonsense.

1 Like