Scan down wrecks shown in D-scan

I don’t think it would have any effect on missions. I did a lot of missions but I don’t remember finding a single one that actually was empty aside from the rats I’m supposed to kill. There are various objects and structures, asteroids, gas clouds, or acceleration gates to make the sites look interesting.
Anything that spawns with the mission site will vanish after the mission is complete, leaving only the wrecks behind, which you would be able to find without interfering the PvE player.

So, last trigger as with combat sites.

Then again looting other people wrecks will give suspects status, having suspect status in salvage oriented ship - non combat like Noctis, will make them loot pinatas, nobody would want to be space scavanger.

people already do an in areas outside of HS the prospect is great for it

You mean like salvaging anoms in nullsec?

no i mean scanning down drones to find where fights have happened and then looting salvaging and scooping.

A Frigate with what sensor strength and sig radius though?

Plus lets say you just pick a really hard one or something, now you need a super specialized and rigged scanning ship in order to scan down the wrecks, which means you need to scan them down and then go get your salvaging ship, and wrecks only last for two hours in space anyway…

Kinda defeats the point.

please read the rest of the thread your issues have already been adressed

Salvaging itself won’t make you a suspect.
You can salvage without taking the loot you know. And many people take the loot and leave the empty wrecks behind.

What about mission blitzers? They are leaving wrecks+loot behind. Loot would be a jackpots for salvagers.

Finding a suspect Noctis at a wreck field is just as hard as finding the same ship at a safe spot.
I don’t think the risk-taking of the players is something worth to consider here.

It would be cool if we had some way to scan down wrecks,
I have been in systems where I am the only one in local but d-scan has hundreds of wrecks on it with no way to get to them.

It’s not risk-taking, noctis is easy to gank. Suspect timer is what? 15 minutes? Pretty easy prey. I don’t think sitting 15 minutes in safe spot is good gamplay.

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

I’ve been commenting on and off through this entire thread and I’m still not seeing an example that adequately addresses the whole “wrecks vs ship” scanning issue. The closest we came was an idea that you literally can’t scan the wrecks until whatever site they’re a part of despawns, if that’s what you’re talking about, but that was quite a ways up and has nothing to do with what you posted.

frigs are not that hard to scan and can easily be done in an unbonused ship. you do not need a dedicated salvage ship to do this. most who currently do this do it in ventures and prospects. so no making the harder to scan than the average frig is not that big of deal.

you would also only need to make NPC wrecks harder to scan you can make player wrecks relatively easy.

Most of the salvage work I see happens in either Destroyers or a Noctis, depending on what’s being done.

Generally speaking it would be best if a system could be found that was internally consistent. The issue with making Player wrecks very easy to scan is that it makes it very easy to lock onto a bounce point in the middle of a fight, especially one happening at a safe, anom, ect.

This happens a decent bit during larger, or at least longer, fights out in Null. Whether it’s for getting a warp-in around a bubble, landing some forces closer to an enemy, or something else entirely.

Nevermind me, just quoting this part for eventual use.

do you not know how on grid probing works?

worst this would do is increase the odds of third partying that’s not a bad thing.

the main benefit of this change would be to make actual salvaging a profession not simply following around your pve main. While DDs are common for this you don’t see many people using a noctis in ls trying to find player wrecks.

DDs are pretty much the primary salvage boats period these days unless you’re in a wormhole or have a dedicated salvage alt, and even DDs get used for that a fair bit these days.

Also if you read up you’ll note that I’m not inherently opposed to this, but I think it should have its own probe type so that it’s not relying on being balanced around the existing use-cases for combat or core probes, and that you shouldn’t be able to scan down wrecks in an active site.

Yes I do, and it’s not just on-grid use cases. The one I was thinking of specifically was bombers, but that’s hardly the only use case here.

good then you should no there is no issue in making the wrecks just as easy to scan as the ship that left them.

if there is a wreck and you don’t want to risk it during a fight blast it.