Security update

Visa won’t think anything about this, it doesn’t involve any actual money, visa doesn’t care about game exploits that don’t actually impact them, and even then the most any attacker is going to know is that you paid x subscription with a card that ends xxxx, payment gateways deliberately don’t store all that information in a way that could let anyone actually access your bank account directly

True. Anyone that holds their wealth in a wallet in the form of Isk just doesn’t know anything about money and wouldn’t have that much anyway. I had less than 3b in my personal wallet and corp wallet combined. I simply took away Director status from all the alts to lower the vulnerability. Visa will replace lost money because they are awesome. The other things in game… idk.
You know that reason (wallet isk means you are noob) is why i questioned that people were lying about the breach in the first place is because the info they went after seems to be useless. Highly unlikely. It just seems to be required to mention the one thing we would all have seen and nothing more at this point. Its just serves as a legal notice tbh that they told us imo.

'Hey…I watched the whole of Mission Impossible : Fallout while mining in EVE '. Wow…I mean CareBearBoard should award at least 500 points for that.

2 Likes

Kind of what makes this whole thing so strange. They didn’t get any info to compromise real-life bank accounts, or identities of people. So, what did they get – a truly random snapshot of how much liquid ISK most active EVE players had in their wallets. That does not tell them who the wealthiest citizens of New Eden are. Practically says nothing. 1 day later the picture will have changed greatly.

Unless you do this stuff on a regular basis, pinging balance changes over a long period of time, this information is worthless outside leaking it online for entertainment purposes. So why go through the trouble at all?

2 Likes

I figured the donor was broke so I sent 10,000 isk.

2 Likes

I am curious, say in a week or three someone approaches you offering the information that they gathered is this exploit. would you look? would you be tempted? would you pay for it?

m

Mike. I would be curious to see I admit. Not pay though. You know it is kind of odd that even if the wealthy people are not storing their wealth as isk… How much you want to bet all of them still got the email about being in the 1% from CCP on a lot of accounts?

I think the biggest concern would be if I were a player that had large amounts of Plex stored up as a savings account. At least if this is stolen CCP will replace it. Anything else is going to be gone into the void… If there is a further breach which I find unlikely anyway.

Another possibility is that this exploit wasn’t done for gain, but for research purposes. With only a cursory search, you can find more than a few graduate theses about video games in general and EVE Online in particular.

Well hopefully it’s a few idiots and not some people trying to catch a major felony… From a country that doesn’t even care.

I personally got a strange mail in Russian in the same timeframe on Mina. I do get weird mails but just sayin.

Eve players… Every new mail I get I assume is a threat… Ofc we think it’s a trap lol.

Assuming the hackers were serious about this attempt, my husband suggest it might have been a probe to find a weakness in another area. Also testing Fenris security to find out how fast they would stop them.

I was in an MMO, the players quickly found an exploit, were one could enter negative values into sales. One weekend toppled the market, so badly, they had to reset the game with a 7 hour roll back. People were selling items at negative value, then buying their own item back getting double their money. This was during beta, but still inspired very little trust between the players and developers.

Have fun!

2 Likes

Some considerations: [ option 1 is mild, option 2 is severe ]

1 - About the hacker quality, either he’s a noob or he used this exploit because it was a dead end;
2 - About the severity, either it was a simple mistake, the programmer forgot that returning the balance could be exploited client side OR the client suffered from RPC like most stuff we saw nowadays being fixed. (since FC took their sweet time to update Py version, it’s a possibility);

Considering the effect and that FC already patched it, it was probably option 1 on both.

Why would it be a problem when someone looks at the results of this hack when possible? It’s not illegal.

Would I pay for it? Absolutely not. I’m not even curious about it, let alone go out of my way to obtain such information. But I would consider it suspicious if I was approached ‘secretly’/privately, and I wouldn’t open any links sent to me.

1 Like

Mike I’m really not even curious and lack the imagination or criminal instinct to find a use for it. But I did pay the account 10k…maybe they will send me a SKIN.

1 Like

I want to rectify myself, the “exploit” was probably some minor issue very easy to understand. I was elaborating some very nice narrative but Occam’s razor brought me to reason.

What happened is: games use Data Oriented Design, the programmer asked for target info to collect the id to make the transfer, the data “package” had the wallet info, it was not needed but it was loaded into client’s memory.

Somebody was scanning the memory with AI and found it.

That’s all, all my previous posts are wild speculation. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I think everyone pretty much agrees that they succeeded in looking like the most lame hackers ever… and thats about it. We just like talking about it at this point. All good too.
Btw, Asgidur, the char that pinged my account was named Fenris…something. Intent?

Clearly a jab at the developers.

1 Like

I have mined in the past. In fact my Venture called ‘Bill & Ted’s Excellent Venture’ is still around somewhere.

It’s interesting that it seems only chars with killboard kills got the 0 ISK donation. On the one hand that suggests killboard was the source of data. People then speculate that theft or spying on accounts was the motive.

BUT…what if character accounts were not the real target at all ? What if the actual target was the ease with which people can pull data from EVE and create sites like killboard, etc ? In other words an attack by someone who’s against that.

1 Like

Playing the game as it is supposed to be played is not ‘attitude’.

In the context of EvE, ganking is ‘being excellent’ to someone.

(although I fear me we are off topic)

3 Likes

Kage1982… Stop being a Karen1982. I don’t think you understand that this is a game designed to give people a reason to fight. And therefore a reason to live and die. Stop being a Karen in a video game with a massive group of grown men who are here to have fun killing each other for stupid made up reasons.

1 Like