Separate Space for Newbies?

I’ll have to re-visit the MMO: Ryzom to see how their Noob Island works. I might be wrong but I seem to recall older characters beng able to assist new characters on the island by invitation of the new player via some type of entry token which can be purchased with earned in-game currency.

:unamused_face:

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

So there is an in-gate in Yulai and a shipcaster for every empire, is Yulai gonna become a new hub?

They had better make the shipcaster only accessible to empty pods.

Sounded like the shipcasters are located in the empire zones in Exordium and would shoot them at their own respective portions of the regular map. :woman_shrugging:

I’m just wondering what these new players will do in those new systems that they cannot do in any other existing noobie systems.
Does CCP plan to move the existing noob systems to the new systems, including the Career Agents?
What about the established Markets? Will the noobs have to travel to Amarr, Dodixie, Rens or Jita? Won’t they be targets then?

I don’t see any information about moving entire systems but rather, “….capsuleer training programs….”

How is this not going to be abused to hell and back?

This needs hard safeguards immediately:

  • No re-entry, ever, once a character leaves

  • No hauling or transferring ISK, ships, items, or resources out

  • Pods only on exit, if that

  • No veteran characters allowed in

  • No loophole for old accounts to feed assets, ISK, or advantages into it through alts

  • No contracts, direct trades, corp handoffs, or market abuse that let value move in or out indirectly

Otherwise CCP is just carving out a protected highsec island for carebears and risk-averse players, splitting the playerbase and undermining the core of EVE.

The only way I see this even potentially working is if is made into some sort of narrative, storytelling, “This is how you start” origin for new players that sends them around noob island and then vomits them out into a pod in actual New Eden once they’re done with it.

5 Likes

Did you not read the latest NEN? A lot of those concerns are addressed.

These concerns are very much not addressed, I would suggest you actually read the article before commenting on it. What the NEN says is that we won’t be able to set safeties to red in this area, that there’s one gate that goes in and out, and one shipcaster per empire.

Ah I missed the two-way connection. Still waking up here.

Yes, I read it thoroughly and no, they are not addressed. I’m not trying to argue or be an ass. I’m EXTREMELY concerned about my favorite video game. I’ve been around since launch and can’t think of anything else more damaging done in a single instance by CCP outside of the time they accidentally wiped the MBR from people’s HDDs during an update.

4 Likes

@Rock_Zappa That doesn’t answer my questions but thanks for posting it. It was a good read.

1 Like

For something we won’t know more about until middle of May, this thread is getting a lot of speculation traffic. I sure hope the CCP team in charge of this Exodia region are taking notes. I hate to think they come out with a nightmare fueled expansion.

For real? Not a joke? What a team.

I’m not so much. Reading between the lines of the NEN article, it seems clear Exordium will be convenient to leave (via shipcaster), inconvenient to re-enter via Yulai, will prohibit red safeties in the region, and will have pretty crappy, low-end resources—which is what you’d expect from a starting area. That will probably mean low-yield asteroids, low-end rats, level 1 agents, etc.

In other words, a nice, safe playground for people to putter around and learn the game in, where there is nothing any experienced player would want or could realistically profit from.

This will be EVE’s Elwynn Forest, and I really don’t see the harm. I doubt that starting characters there versus the current starter systems will hurt player retention, and it may actually help. If anything, Exordium may provide more concrete data as to whether ganking does or does not impact new player retention, and may finally put that tired old argument to rest.

1 Like

100% serious.

It wasn’t the MBR, it was a file called boot.ini that older Windows versions used to start up. They had to send out a message via the client “DO NOT SHUT DOWN YOUR COMPUTER!”, because if people did, they wouldn’t be able to start it again. You can google “eve online boot.ini” if you want to know more.

Ah, right. Same outcome though. Thinking about it, I should have flagged that as incorrect from the start. It’s been some years.

By the way, what I find more interesting about the NEN article were the following quotes:

They hope to use the region as a safe haven to foster unity between their member states, providing a space in which continued diplomatic communication can be guaranteed, no matter how dire the situation becomes in the wider cluster.

“In recent years, we have seen just how fragile the political links between nations can be."

I’m over here rubbing my hands wondering if this means the devs are going to break the hisec links between empires. Depending on how the connections remain to Yulai (hisec or lowsec), that could make getting into Exordium a lot more difficult for established players.

I also find it interesting that in Exordium, the starter areas for each empire are connected. This means new players will have the ability to access and sample the starting areas for each empire before using a shipcaster and committing to a region of space. This solves the problem of a new player choosing the “wrong” empire at character creation and being geographically stuck with it (particularly if the devs were to cut hisec connections).

1 Like

So yellow safeties will be allowed, so mission jumping is possible, i.e. probing people running missions out, stealing all their loot and otherwise provoking them into attacking you so you can kill them.

and you say there is nothing any experienced player would want?