so you just want to see eve burn and not have any new players join and pump up numbers?? gotcha..

I’d rather see the servers go dark than watch it become a safe space. You’re doing nothing but proving my point. There will always be people like the two of you wanting more, more and more.
its one ■■■■■■■ area. for new players to get a better footing.. games have to adapt my guy.. ■■■■ sakes.
i for one don’t give a ■■■■ about safe spaces or not… but i would for one like to see more people play the game.
So why arent you bankrolling wars against null? They make their space safe.
You’re doing nothing but feeding people like uta and their delusions.
Very well, send me the isk and we will make it happen.
Absolutely.
So on one side of the spectrum you’ve got a small group of people crying foul that a new player zone is intended for new players and not for veteran players.
On the other side of the spectrum you’ve got some people that see new player area coming and decide, " nah, ■■■■ those new players. I’m going to target them as hard as possible now!"
Then somewhere in the middle, you’ve got relatively normal people that are eager for new players to come to this game so that this game can continue to exist.
2 poles of that spectrum want to see this game gone. They either do not want to play this game and instead want world of warcraft with not magic space ships, or they would
I think I’d rather see more people in the middle of that spectrum, honestly. We all know that this is an older game with a lot of older players.
The people that started this game as teens are now middle age. Normal people take more responsibilities in life as they get older. They make families, they make careers, most just don’t have enough time to do everything to be successful as well as continue pouring hours every day into a video game.
Then you’ve got the players that were not teens when this game came out. A lot of folks are hitting retirement age, or already have. People die.
The jist of what I’m saying is that if you like this game at all, you should not hate the idea of new player retention. Let them have a small, safe space to learn the very basics of the game before they come out to join the rest of us.
They will still need to be taught to not be afk mining. They will still need to learn that players can build empires and enforce their will upon others. They will still need to learn how to navigate the market and how to make profits. They will still need to learn that mining is boring and low income.
There is so little changed with exordium, yet so much conflict over it and it isnt even out yet.
Don’t conflate my disgust for risk aversion safe spaces for some sort of anti new player retention mindset. That’s not the point. The point is that it’s never going to be enough for you people. Exodia will simply be the new baseline from which you ask for more. More safety, more protections. Just like when wardeccing was mangled into nothing more than the ability to go after a structure and making any corp without one immune. Actions no longer have consequences in EVE. It will instill new players with a sense that EVE is meant to be safe. From there it will simply continue the spiral.
I can already hear it.
- “How am I supposed to compete with 20-year veterans?”
- “I can’t make enough money here.”
- “The safe zone rewards are too low.”
- “Why should I have to leave before I’m ready?”
- “The exit systems are unfair.”
- “People are waiting outside to kill us.”
- “I shouldn’t lose my ship just because I’m still learning.”
- “There needs to be more protection for new players.”
- “This game punishes mistakes too harshly.”
- “It’s impossible to recover after a loss.”
- “Veterans have too much of an advantage.”
- “Scamming new players should be banned.”
- “Gate camps are toxic gameplay.”
- “Ganking is just griefing.”
- “There should be harsher penalties for attacking weaker players.”
- “I shouldn’t be forced into PvP.”
- “I just want to play my way.”
- “Why can’t highsec be actually safe?”
- “Concord should respond instantly.”
- “I shouldn’t have to join a corp just to survive.”
- “Why do I need other people to protect me?”
- “This game doesn’t respect my time.”
- “I worked hard for that ship, I shouldn’t just lose it.”
- “Losing progress isn’t fun.”
- “Why is the economy controlled by veterans?”
- “There should be separate matchmaking/new player space permanently.”
- “I’m being punished for not wanting to play like a sociopath.”
- “The game needs to modernize.”
- “Predatory gameplay drives players away.”
- “This is why EVE can’t grow.”
- “If CCP wants new players to stay, they need to stop this.”
It will never be safe enough for you until it’s no longer EVE. There are many, MANY ways to improve EVE. This isn’t about new player retention. This is about reminding people that EVE isn’t meant to be safe.
Carebears will never stop crying. The game could be PvE only, on creative mode with login rewards, and they will cry that their isk/hr is still too low.
What people are you grouping me in with?
What have I asked for?
The interesting part of this is I recently made a thread addressing this very thing and got flamed by a fairly large group of people and even ISD’s for it.
I argue that we’re all part of the problem of building unrealistic expectations for incoming players. You’re not safe in eve. You’re not supposed to be. This is a pvp-centric video game. You consent to pvp when you log on and undock.
I think you’re lumping me in with a different group of people. While I do not gank, I also do not have a problem with it.
To help rookies learn the ropes, make friends, and prepare for their full EVE experience, the upcoming expansion will introduce a dedicated starter region named Exordium.
A Journey of a Thousand Lightyears…
You may remember what it was like to be a wide-eyed newbie seeing the world of New Eden for the first time. Every bit of improvement we can make to support new capsuleers means more players will make it past those initial intimidating steps to eventually experience everything that EVE has to offer.
As most veterans know, getting more new players benefits New Eden as a whole. It means more recruits for your corporations and alliances, more customers for your market orders, more good fights in the warzones,
We have had many discussions and brainstorming sessions over the years about improving the new player experience, both internally and externally, with many of you. An idea that has cropped up regularly is adding a “starter zone” to New Eden, where rookies can begin their journey together in a space designed specifically for them.
This idea will become reality with the introduction of Exordium.
I think you are not quite correct. The idea for this didn’t come from me or anyone I know. CCP intends for this to be a springboard for new players to become veteran players.
Perhaps we misunderstood each other.
Edit: Yeah, my bad.
Again, those of us complaining about this aren’t saying “It’s bad because it won’t let us go after newbies”. We already aren’t going after newbies, it gets you banned. We’re complaining because the newbie zone is going to let old players in, and having a full-safety area sets a very bad precedent for a game we care a great deal about.
I find this part especially hilarious because CCP did do daily login rewards and people got upset about it and complained until those login rewards were removed. Some people complain that they don’t exist anymore.
It’s not the newbies that are the issue. I HIGHLY doubt anyone wants to bully newbies. It’s really not even Exodia. It’s the risk averse mentality being pushed AND REWARDED within a Risk VS Reward based game and the mountain of concessions they’ve been given over the years. I remember telling someone freaking out over the wardec changes years ago that it wasn’t a big deal, would help new player retention, was healthy for the game, etc. It wasn’t.
I couldn’t understand why my friend was so up in arms over it back then and now I find myself saying nearly the exact same things he did back then. I was wrong and he was right.
I completely agree. I think it will assist in building the illusion of safety in eve.
My hope is that enough veteran players do go in there to help new players and teach them that once they leave that area they are not safe. I know I will be there providing mining boosts, and I’ve already got my fleet MOTD set up to explain that exordium is an exception.
I hope to prepare people to go further in the game and not burn out the moment they lose something.
I suspect, however, the majority of new players will exit exordium as fast as they can, just as so many ignore the current tutorials.
Did you have anyone help you when you started? I did. one of the most well known names too. I don’t see an issue if vets who actually care about the game and the new players, goes in, teaches the newbies how things work OUTSIDE of exordium, or even during their 30 days has them travel outside of it. for a glimpse of the real EVE..
I did have someone help me out when I started. I got my mining osprey caught in a camp in Amamake, and was given some very valuable advice on how to actually have fun in EVE, and made friends I spent a little while flying with. If that hadn’t happened I would have quit and none of you would be able to enjoy my company today.
Again I think putting newbies in a whole new region is overkill. Yeah it might help if a bunch of friends decide to try EVE together like CCP says, but I think that’s an exceptionally rare situation. What I think would massively help player retention is getting the newbies out of highsec as soon as possible.
If all else stays the same, you may have a point. CCP has said that the next 3 expansions are focusing on the Empires though. So what if a full war broke out between them and we have Triglavian invasion levels of disruption or more? Newbies will need an area to learn the game and not be affected too much by the events occurring.
You forgot to mention those that managed to learn the game without any need for a kindergarden, that were able to learn from their mistakes and weren’t spoonfed in absolute security because they didn’t run from the game at the first sign of trouble, but took the difficulties experienced as challenges to overcome and learned a lot while doing it.
Those people are bitter that the sandbox gets violated and that they are excluded from even doing standard stuff in the new region. It isn’t their choice to ignore the “low” value of veldspar-0 and scordite-0 and mine it nevertheless, no, it is outright forbidden.
They could mine it of course and then get banned if they do. Same as with ganking in systems next to Yulai. If that would be forbidden now as you all tell then why do we need Exordium in the first place? Just forbid newbie ganking anywhere and you don’t need a new region at all.
All these exceptions now for game play actions that are physically possible but seemingly forbidden by a rulebook on top or at the interpretation of someone…that’s not the sandbox anymore as advertised. We still have a sandbox, right?
Or do we need to become lawyers to judge if our mining laser activation in this system might lead to banning of all accounts or if a smartbomb lit in that system would wipe out your 25 years history in EVE?