yes, well, thats just my personality. Many do not like it, and this is ok.
I will fight to the death about anything i see as “wrong”. For my friends, this is a boon. for my enemies, it is not.
I also remember eve forums used to have a lot more teef than now. everyone is so calm, yet also go to insults at the snap of a finger. There is so little friendly viscious banter, and it’s immediate insult and not even hiding it using much better wordplay.
Where-oh-where has the soul of the eve community gone?
I played the MMO Guild Wars for story content. The game has an excellent story, but they decided to make GW2 and never finished the storyline on the original game. Also GW2 was so different in as much akin to all the other MMOs. It was more about making a profit and less about content.
I later played Neverwinter and Star Trek Online, where John and I met in gaming. I enjoyed Neverwinter more but both had ( until 2019 ) a UGC mission editor called the Foundry. Players could create missions and others could play them. There was some minor abuse, but the system was removed because the company lost profits when they failed making Magic the Gathering MMO. It never left beta and the developer got sold off to Gearbox. Again this was about stories and not trying to become a billionaire.
I current still do PvP on Guild Wars: Factions, mostly on the weekend, when I have the time. I moved to Black Desert and they had a good plot going, then 3 years into the game they changed the story. I was enjoying the tale, but then it got real weird. In fact, I had completed the storyline when they decided to alter it. Today that MMO offers you to start up in a story mostly driven by cuts ( about 30 hours of cuts ) or you can play the more PvE storyline, close to the original.
Here on Eve Online, I am an alpha billionaire and been one for a long time. I bought some stations, ships, clothes, etc.. Ran out of stuff to buy, so I give away a lot of my ISK. I bought some plex once, gave that away too. Well I seriously fell off topic, to explain my reason for playing games. Sorry about that. I have to get ready for dialysis today, enjoy your Friday.
Except they can’t write this off on a tax return, it won’t even feature as its own line item because its just part of EVE, all that will have changed is some developer resources will have been reallocated to this instead of something else in the game, no different from when they have added any other space like the drone lands back in the day or Pochven etc
So there isn’t actually any additional costs being incurred here
I am not up to date on all my European tax laws and programs, but you would be very shocked what some of them get away with on their various government programs. For example; Most people know Uwe Boll is a German producer and film maker of the worst “video game to movie” genre. Many gamers pray the man won’t make a movie out of their favorite game. The question is, how does he make cash, with all his films bombing at the box office losing money. Simple, the German government pays him to make movies win or lose.
Before you go stating US tax laws, remember this is Iceland and I have no idea what kind of government programs one can dip into over the pond. I read in Forbes last year the UK Video Game Council ( yes a branch of their government ) put over $10 billion in US dollars into their program to bolster their video game developers. It is far too easy for anyone to say the money was used on R&D when that is such a generic term in software development.
Here in the US, I worked for GM, they got money from the Federal government as “bail outs” for many years, then moved their US factories abroad to countries with the cheapest labor force. The money given to them was suppose to keep them from filing Chapter 11 bankruptcy and prevent Americans from losing their jobs. The jobs are no longer here.
Sorry if that sounds like a rant, I just wanted to make it clear.
just in case i am going blind, nothing new has been posted officially, correct? So we’re all just stuck in war fog, wondering what will be around the next corner?
I like that EVE is taking so many strides to be more easily accessable to new folks. New blood = new blood
I’m not even a ganker or anything and i find this new era to be exciting!
This is the case, as far as I know, for most if not all EU countries’ film-makers. There simply isn’t the kind of functioning studio system as in the US. (UK seems to have it better, but the EU not so much). The problem is that the domestic market is very limited for most EU countries to justify the costs upwards of 1m for making one movie. The domestic market is the market in which language the film was made. Like it or not, films in French will be primarily watched by Frenchmen. Films in Italian will be primarily watched by the Italians. They can make forays into the markets of other EU countries as well, but the success is usually very limited and the number of viewers abysmal.
This was a very short explanation of it, but it is the gist of it. There simply is not a critical mass in moviegoers for the EU market for EU films to invest 1-10m in a single film, let alone more. It’s a very expensive process. So, if one was to follow market demand, EU wouldn’t have its own film-makers at all. This is the reason the European governments allocate funds for film-makers. Because without that, we would have nothing. Of course, such allocations are often quite arbitrary. Those who decide who gets how much go not by market appeal of the project, but by other criteria such as ‘how many films has the director made so far’, ‘genre’, etc. There are all kinds of ‘artificial’ requirements. Like, your film has to be in the native language (films in English are not funded), has to be filmed mostly in the country, etc.
It’s a very long and unnecessarily complicated story, but bottom line, European film market does not have sufficient demand for European films (part of the reason is because Hollywood productions are more attractive to the cinemas), and for that reason governments end up footing the bill (partially, I should say) for European films. This is why you see very low-quality projects getting funding and being made over here. And they won’t ever recoup the cost.
They said there won’t be anything else about this until the reveal at fanfest. The only thing I would expect until then is Gallente Federation election, Catalyst major update, and Capsuleer day starting.
True. They will make an official announcement as stated, they wanted to quell conspiracy theories. Imagine how bad this topic would be if they kept us in the dark. All the Fox Mulders would be in here making claims about the flat universe and the legend of Bigfoot being tied into the new area.
All I am stating is this a waste of spending from my point of view. Although it is good to see the money being spent.
That is an interesting concept. But it would not stop a 15-year bitter vet from rolling an alpha alt to go terrorize the new folks in the Exodium region.
That 15 year vet would also be on the same level as those new folks…so nothing is stopping them from turning the tide and terrorizing the aggressor if they so wish to learn how to. It would be part of that learning experience that the new zone was designed to do.
I would hope the new zone be the complete opposite. There needs to be every possible situation taught to the player to ready them for the larger area of the game…..including pvp.
Having to wait until May to find out what this zone will offer is going to be excruciating for me.
Depending on the overall mechanics, the new bittervet account could have unlimited funds at hand, so already in that regard they are not on the same level and of course due to knowledge.
But one would have to wait until we know all mechanics and how they apply. I am however sure you can not lock it down completely and people will surely try to find ways to have fun with the newbies.
The whole concept introduction i suppose is enough to try stuff out of anger about it. So i expect a strong stream of exploit notifications and rule addendums following the weeks of the release.