[September] Upwell Cargo Deposit

The purpose of this change was to protect highsec haulers from failing courier contracts made to structures that they later discover they can’t dock at. But instead you have added the ability for everybody to drop off any cargo at every structure in New Eden for any reason. A few unintended consequences:

• A nullsec explorer can use this mechanic to drop off his loot in a hostile structure and then Safety it to lowsec past the bubble camps (if he’s willing to wait a few weeks to reclaim it and pay 15%).
  • Every wormholer can now use his Empire static to evacuate assets to lowsec in an emergency.
  • Anybody feeling threatened can now empty his cargo in the nearest structure and reclaim it later.

Why make this mechanic so expansive? Would it not be better to limit the use of this new mechanic to plastic wraps at the specified destination structure, implemented as right-click “deliver courier package”?

10 Likes

I don’t run courier contracts, so I don’t have much to say about the transfer, though ore transfers will be great.

As a station owner I have to say that I’m ok with immediate access control. Have you ever had a corp. who had access to your stations hit one station and then go to rep at another?

Also, if you build a reputation of not closing access without good cause, you build pilots’ confidence in your corp. and alliance. Having that reputation will put you ahead of other stations, at least with the locals who know you.

So he has to “make more trips” the end result is the same.

Loot to Safety

If a courier package is too big for a DST or frigate, you cannot do any trips.

The drop box is not limited to contract items.

Delivery is a great half of an idea. Adding collection of a contract without docking completes the thought.

Actually its more funny then disgusting, you should try it some day :slight_smile: . Besides, it gives good motivation for scammed players to seek for bloody revenge, thus continue playing Eve.

1 Like

Deploy Mobile Depot, unfit to cargo, cargo to station. just a matter of doing it before the dps gets you

I see already that much of the discourse has been about trade scams, with “abuse feature to get cargo out of hostile space” coming in for a close second. But I think we need to take a breather and step back for a moment. Any change to the game is going to be give and take. Some people get more, others get some taken away. That’s just the way it works.

The reason I highlighted that particular passage is because it illustrates something perfectly which people seem to forget. CCP wants these structures to be more accessible and user-friendly. They’ve stated that a multitude of times and it’s one of the broader goals that drives a lot of what they do. This isn’t a surprise. It’s entirely plausible and expected that such a feature would have been on the drawing board and implemented even if nobody had ever thought to create a courier scam in the first place.

As for the second part, where people might use it to unload loot…that’s actually a very clever observation and I like that it was brought up. But that’s where the aforementioned give and take comes in. That some people can (ab)use a feature doesn’t mean you don’t implement a change. Because there is no way to create something that doesn’t somehow, someway, have a method for abuse. And the difference between “use” and abuse" is merely a matter of interpretation; it’s not a hard and fast rule or line to be crossed.

If abuse is rampant, changes can get made. But I can’t imagine that it’s going to be common enough to warrant worrying about. Okay, so someone managed to smuggle goods out of nullsec for a premium. Is it really that big of a deal? It also opens up potential player interaction of, “Hey there random explorer. Noticed you tend to drop off loot at my alliance’s structure. You know, instead of paying that 15% charge and waiting weeks, I can use my access to ship the stuff out of here and to you for a mere 10%, so long as you set reasonable collateral”.

8 Likes

3 Likes

They may have removed an option for scammers (cause they didn’t have enough already…) but they created a massive option for haulers. I am and have been since I started playing eve a career hauler. I can tell you that this is a more than welcome feature. Many of us who don’t have the isk or SP to fly a freighter simply can’t make a (honest) living hauling. This change opens that door completely.

This so called “option” that is being removed in your eyes, is being directly replaced with a hauling option in my eyes. Upwell structures killed courier contracting as an “option”. This “re-introduces” it as you would say.

I’d be willing to bet there are a hell of a lot more haulers out there than courier scammers…

4 Likes

The purpose of this change was not solely to protect highsec haulers… It is to protect ALL haulers.

Not everyone that runs couriers stays in highsec, all you warmongers out there in null need stuff brought to you as well.

2 Likes

This right here!!! :100::+1:

2 Likes

I agree with others in this thread that have stated that you should not be able to use this feature if you are scrammed. Just as you are not able to dock in a citadel if you are scrammed, you should not be able to deliver items into a citadel if you are scrammed. I also think that you should not be able to use this feature on a citadel when you are at war with the owners of a citadel, just as a slight restriction that probably every hauler can get around by being in an npc corp, but would restrict other players. Otherwise, this feature is pretty good.

2 Likes

https://forums.eveonline.com/t/september-upwell-cargo-deposit/101727/4

no more contract with rights revoked on accept, no more issue moving freight to private structure !

2 Likes

What’s funny is, someone will still figure out how to get themselves scammed on a courier contract.

2 Likes

Hey this is a great new feature. I can’t wait to start hauling contracts to citadels

3 Likes

Yes, like before on the way with an overcolaterized contract with empty freight containers. Just like in the past and nothing wrong with that.

This will make me want to start running contracts again.

2 Likes

I don’t get the point of your post.

People are doing hauling for a living in eve.
They can’t do it to citadels because the “hauling to citadel” function was missing.
And now you say it’s funny because this feature won’t prevent scams ?

I’m afraid you have no idea what this topic is about. so far before there was citadels, there was already hauling scams. The hauling to citadel feature as of now is BROKEN, like it or not.
I know you don’t like the idea to have citadels hauling available, but in that case, just keep your opinion or make an effort and voice correct argument about it in a dedicated thread instead of derailing threads you don’t like.

1 Like