Ship/Cargo Scanner to give penalty e.g. suspect timer

I think cargo scanning should not make you blinking - I see no good enough reason for that change yet (nor any good enough reasons against); and status quo should be preserved until there is a good enough argument for change - changes cost time, which could be put in more important aspects.

Fitting of the ship could be somewhat inferred from the visual looks (at least in theory you would see all that plating, shield hardeners etc by a good enough telescope), so the main “invasion of privacy” is only cargo content, which you CAN hide already if you really want it to be private.

I would be more in favor of a variation of the proposal - to have ALL module use against any other “neutral” player result in suspect flag. After all, you are likely up to nothing good if you are sensor boosting supposedly neutral ship :stuck_out_tongue:

And i could kinda of go with this…cause really if you are combat boosting a fleet and you are neutral(npc corp) then you are not really neutral are you?

The scanners are harmless; the fact that you cannot win a 10v1 fight 2 jumps later is not going to change. Plus adding a suspect flag essentially breaks the Passive Targeting module.

Making friends is the solution here, like so many other cases where “crutches” are requested.

LOL.

Adding a flag to the cargo scanner does not break the passive targeting module in any way.

It’s really amusing watching all the ganker bunnies turn logic head over heels and inside out trying to avoid any kind of non-consensual risk to their side of the equation. Even more amusing in that they are breathing so hard in defense of a job that can be done in a newbie ship. I’m pretty sure it’s a new high for risk aversity.

1 Like

I know.

Remote rep? Effect on ship? Can flag.
Remote sensor boost? Effect on ship? Can flag.
Scan contents/fitting of ship? Effect on ship? No, we don’t want it to flag. It doesn’t actually do anything to the ship so it’s harmless and thus shouldn’t ever flag.

They just really prefer that all hulls in the game are made of plexiglas.

It eliminates the covert nature of the module and there is no point, the ganking will still go on, the freighters will not attack the suspect, lol, and these failed players will still fly solo and expect the game to protect them rather than make friends and play the game the way it was intended.

Stop whining and make some friends.

Terrible idea and totally unnecessary.

If you are carrying low value goods, or flying a low value ship, who cares if you get scanned.

If you are flying a high value ship or carrying high value cargo then fly in a fleet for protection.

Simple, problem solved.

It was pilot error all along.

If this was true then there would be no need for the cargo scanner as people with low value goods wouldn’t be bothered with because of the lack of a fleet and high value goods would have the fleet to deal with people.

Catch 22.

Where does a cargo scanner or ship scanner say they are covert by default?

So just ignore the sandbox?

People should be able to fly whatever the hell they want without getting their privacy invaded.

EVE - you can’t use the ships you want unless you fly in a fleet.

Suicide gankers don’t give a ■■■■ about your fleet.

I personally ganked several people in a fleet before.

Nope, it just means you can’t cargo scan without getting a flag.

Kinda like if you use a passive target and then try to tackle the ship. You got your lock without alerting anyone, what you do after is up to you.

In the sandbox you have to play with others.

Privacy Invaded? lol wut omg roflmao, is that a real reason?

Anyway I found what I came for, CCP my vote is lol -1

Circular Argument

Tackle is not harmless, scanning is harmless.

You want a circular argument?

If a cargo scanner has no effect on a target why do they exist?

It shares Intel with the user. The target is unaffected.

This is why it’s a circular argument. It has an effect on the target.

Followed immediately with…

Water is wet because wet is how you describe water.

Try telling me that something has no effect has an effect again please.

1 Like

@MinerArt I’m done bickering with you. You asked a question, and I answered it.

Your argument that scanning equates to every ship being made of plexiglass is ridiculous overexaggeration. If that were the case, we wouldn’t need scanners. We could just look at a ship and know what it’s carrying. But the truth is you must fit a specific sensor module to your ship in order for it to work. Which means you’re sacrificing a slot that could have held some other module instead.

And comparing scanning to water is also ridiculous. Scanners don’t spray the target with anything. Nobody can say that taking a picture of a building with your camera has an adverse effect on the building. All you did was record data with your camera. The building remains unaffected.

You’re just being pedantic for the sake of stirring up argument. And while you keep calling for @ISD and @CCP_Falcon to lock the thread, I think they just need to kick you out of it so everyone can avoid sitting through your Debate vocab lessons.

Really what is wrong with getting a suspect flag…

The fact you “might” get shot…

Waah Waah Waah…holy christ HTFU

Actually they do. You just aren’t watching for the visual effects. If they were not actively spraying the device then anything that doesn’t have an emission would be undetectable. Water doesn’t send off any signals. Neither does Oxygen. Even so you’d like to say these devices are detectable without any form of scanning.

Astronauts do not rely on “hey, it looks like there’s air here” because that would result in instant asphyxiation followed by a nasty thing that doesn’t need be posted resulting in death. They require a scanner to determine if there is any air. It takes from the vicinity to determine if there is any air.

So why do you think you can detect the oxygen that is in a ship’s hold with a scanner? Logic tells me every single time that if you aren’t attacking the air with a projection it wouldn’t signal it exists.

The problem with truth is you can’t bend it to suit your view. This is why:

You confirm that ships aren’t made of plexiglas now. If the ship is not made of plexiglas then you must attack the hull to get information that is within it. Otherwise there is no reason you would detect the contents of a ship.

You talk in circles to suit your argument and discard logic.

You are bad, and should feel bad.

It’s in no way a circular argument.

The function of the passive targeting array is to allow you to lock your target without detection.

Adding a flag to the cargo scanner does not in any way affect that, it’s a totally different module, different action, and even a different game mechanic. The fact that you would also like to be able to cargo scan your target without detection or consequence has no bearing on the function of the passive targeting array.

Further arguments about how somehow sacrifices are being made to put that cargo scanner on your ship are pointless. Not only does it have pretty light fitting requirements and almost every ship in the universe has a spare slot for just this sort of occasion, but part of the ongoing discussion was using modules to enable the flagging upon scan as well, so it’s pretty tit for tat.

The whiners are literally getting constipated over potentially losing a throw away frigate due to aggression from targets that can’t even mount guns.

Last I checked it was an MMO sandbox.

Also why do you get to dodge the filter?