Ship/Cargo Scanner to give penalty e.g. suspect timer

By chance do you know what bandwagoning is?

The idea is popular because he is right, the truth is usually popular.

You are simply wrong.

Cargo and ship scans are harmless.

The idea that the earth was flat is popular because it was right. The truth is usually popular.

You are simply arguing that.

OIC, you’re a troll, np, I won’t bother reading your responses anymore.

Go to Jita and open someone’s can. Put a few Plex in it. Then wonder why you get insta-fragged for giving stuff away for free.

Hell just move something but take nothing. No harm done…yet suspect flag.

Cool stories about the harmless narrative though.

Doesn’t even have to be plex. Can be a single Tritanium deposited and taken back.

@Ildrara you’re purposely trying to set off the Theft detection stuff, that’s why.

@MinerArt that sounds like an excellent distinction. We’ll call the passive unobtrusive module a Scanner. And we’ll call the invasive module a Gun.

/thread indeed =)

I used Plex because it is worth something to everyone. But yeah…anything will get you a suspect flag when you do that with cans.

Harmless but suspect. Kinda like cargo scanners should be.

Maybe I am. But that doesn’t mean anything. Harmless.

Putting Plex in someone’s can has no circumstances in which someone could inflict harm of any kind.

But but that doesn’t fit the narrative so let’s move the goal posts.

Interacting with the contents of someone else’s container DOES tend to lead to “harm” by way of stealing those contents. So while you aren’t actively stealing, you are setting off the system by interacting with those contents regardless.

Just like using the Tracking Disruptor on a Freighter doesn’t have a harmful effect on that particular ship, it is harmful in general and so it sets off the system.

Scanners will NEVER cause an adverse reaction. There is NEVER a possibility that they will harm the target.

But that’s okay. You guys like to dance around the module itself. This entire thread has been one case after another of you guys saying “But look at these other examples. Look at how these other things behave and are treated.” And yet… nobody can say why a Scanner is bad. Why the Scanner is wrong.

I wish you guys would just admit the only reason you fear the Scanner is b/c you fear the Gank that often comes after being scanned. And yet, being shot is already a crime, and then your argument is done.

Oh, and @MinerArt. You mentioned Armored Cars the other day… And how they’re purpose made to be impervious to outside observation. Well, that’s what Blockade Runners are for. If you want to guarantee that your contents are not scanned, you put your stuff in one of those.

Sorry but the argument of harmless is already put to bed they’ll continue to move the goalposts.

That has been used by both sides to affirm that harmless or not harmless is not the point.

It’s comedy is that you argue that because something doesn’t actually have a harmful effect means it shouldn’t actually set off the system. Remember your own statement earlier?

And the argument stands.

With the statement still being used by multiple players.

But the problem with this line of thought is that if scanners have no effect on the target what is the point of scanners in the first place?

Wana know something else that doesn’t allow outside observation? A Cargo Trailer.

1 Like

We’ve already discussed this previously. The only thing a Scanner does “against” the target, is invade their privacy. As opposed to digging through their Container, in which case you’re actually stealing their goods.

And nobody gives a hairy rats ass about your privacy. That’s why, if you want to keep your cargo private, you’ll fly a Blockade Runner.

Looking in a jetcan is digging thru their container. This does not flag someone as a thief though. Taking the objects from a container flags them as a thief even if they are the ones who put it in.

The benefit of a Blockade Runner is that even if you scan it you get NO information. This does not change the activation of the scanner which isn’t looking thru a plexiglass container. I’m frankly annoyed you keep pulling the goalposts away.

But a trailer is still a trailer no matter how many times you’d like to convert it into Plexiglas.

Tell me what’s inside:

1 Like

We’re playing make believe space ships thousands of years in the future… we aren’t talking about plexiglass trailers driving down the highway.

Here’s something I could support. Rather than flagging someone for using a Scanner. How about making some modules that increase the difficulty of being scanned? Like armor and shield hardeners, but for sensors. It’s not a directed ECM, so it won’t get the Hauler in trouble. But they’ll be masking the contents of the ship so it’s harder for the Ganker to tell what’s inside.

Are you giving up your previous argument?

Nope. Purely a shot in the dark to see if you guys will quit whining about how the evil space ship looked at you funny.

I still say the Scanner is not hurting you in any way. It’s not tampering with the performance of your ship. It’s not attempting to manipulate the contents of your cargo. And it’s certainly not doing any damage to your shields, armor, or hull. All it’s doing is assessing your ship and cargo. The same thing they do on Star Trek all the time. With the push of a button, Worf can tell what kind of armaments they have, and what they’re carrying. And nobody throws a fit because he invaded their privacy.

I got a lesson in how to remain classy yet tell someone when he is an idiot. Thanks !

1 Like

So with the exception of the troll it looks like everyone agrees there is no need for this suspect timer. If people don’t want to be ganked 10v1 they just need to make friends; the game code cannot be changed to protect them 10v1.

1 Like

I’ve had to chop quite a few posts out of this thread.

Keep it clean, or people will start to lose their posting privileges.

Please just throw a padlock on the thread. Insults already have begun again.