Since when T2 ship manufacturing become such unprofitable garbage?

But do they actually sell?

Your math is wrong. You do not make 44% profit on anything you built. Never going to unless something is off or there is a unique market opportunity. Those are rare. I do production planning, costing and strategy for a living, my own companies. EvE is is an exercise in my skills. I made 4 billion last week with two accounts doing T2 production.

Again - your math is wrong.

Yes, they ACTUALLY SELL. If you dont wanna babysit orders, thats a whole other matter. Please give me one item that you are incapable of selling, which justifies turning into something else and sell it for less? It has to be an item that has actual market history, reliable data and demand. Not something like unique or rare items which nobody buys or needs or most cant afford.

I made 4 billion last week with stuff I bought from Jita and manufacturing T2, and selling AT ACTUAL COSTS. I mined or operated nothing to do it. Zero input from my own operations, just buy, invent / build, sell. What these guys are doing is manufacture from stuff they mine and according to some twisted logic make stuff to sell for less. Its crazy but whatever.

Then you’re literally the first person I’ve met in my entire EVE career who claims to be making money selling component parts. I’m not really seeing a viable market beyond like maybe 3 people doing that, but I guess you’re one of those lucky few.

Well, its easy. Just add up the the buy costs and invention costs, and sell for 25-50% more than the sum of those costs . I did not make components, I made T2 modules. Well, I take that back, made about a lot of ion thrusters and plasma thrusters. There was a 35% margin in it for a bit.

Regarding components, most people sell T2 components for less than what it costs to make them, bunch of geniuses like the guy above. So its not a good idea to try to build them. There are some diamonds in the rough though, but have to take the time to find them. You have to do the math. I basically invested about 9 billion and cashed out 13 billion.

Must be why so many people are doing it… :thinking:

Like I said, you’d literally be one the first person to claims to be making money doing this in the 6 years I’ve played EVE Online.

I love this blanket statement people like you use as if it’ll cover all the holes in what you’re saying, lol.

Not if you buy from.sell orders, and ships mostly are shitty margins, t2 modules still have quite good margins even if you buy all from market sell orders, I did it a lot before… now the economy is messed up, I build mostly to feed alliance market

Math IS the cover for all the holes. Those geniuses selling components for less than the parts Jita buy deserve a medal for making me very very rich.

Yes, all that is factored in. The market got messed up now a bit so I dont really have time to do this as much anymore. On top of the money I made, Im left with probably 400 T2 BCs. So the profit was much higher than 4 bil, just cash profit was 4. I will check the pricing / costing on them periodically and mass manufacture when profitable.

Many t2 modules and ammo/drones are profitable even if you buy all mats from market , I keep doing this until nowadays. I realise thought that mats prices are increasing in prices.

I agree, buying stuff off the market and building T2 is extremely profitable in many cases. Just have to look for the opportunities. The biggest advantage of all is the speed of cashflow, ability to convert an investment into a profit very fast as you dont have to built all the ingredients, just buy them.

1 Like

I only sell items when they are making enough margin according to the formula I gave above . I already sold components several times. Not often though.

But I got the reverse way of doing it : I build and sell only when it’s worth it, so I change what I build and sell often. It’s just I am not a “component maker”, since I make anything that is valuable (including T2 and faction modules).

Just because you don’t see people telling about it does not mean there are not such people.

You are kind of right that pure T2 ship manufacturing from purchased T2 comps is kind of garbage, that’s why most people don’t do it. Clever T2 industrialist buy the AMMs (reactions) and build T2 comps first and then the hulls.

What others said above, the volume of T2 comps you can sell on the market are pretty small, but if you use your own T2 components and build them into hulls, you are basically selling the T2 comps to yourself, pocketing the profits, and raise the volume you can sell by turning them into a consumer good (hulls or modules).
The step of turning the components into a T2 hull is not about profits, but about volume.

I have no idea how much it would cost me to buy all the individual parts for a car, but I am sure that your example is perfect. How many people do you know who buy the parts and build their own car? The reason they will sell a car for less than the sum total of its parts is simple - turnover. Way more people buy a car ready to drive and in EvE way more people buy a ship ready to fly. In fact in null alliances many people buy it fully fitted from contracts.

2 Likes

Are there people who have the ‘minerals I mined myself are free’ mindset and fail to properly price their output based on the value of their self-mined minerals? Yes.

Are these the vast majority of T2 ship manufacturers/component manufacturers? Doubtful.

Most likely, there are players who have set up production pipelines where their material input costs are lower than you are accounting for, and their production costs are minimal, so what you believe to be a sale at a loss is closer to break-even or a small but meaningful profit. Those players are unlikely to come into the forums and explain how they make it work, because sharing their secrets of profitability means they have more competition and their profit margins narrow.

3 Likes

I’m probably wrong somewhere with my maths but I cannot figure where.

As I said, All my maths are based on a Jita sell prices for the moon goo and the non buildable materials (like PI for exemple) and yes, I don’t include the listing fee and selling fees when I sell the fina lproduct in Amarr. I also don’t include the costs of transportation (most of the time I do it with my travel toon while I’m doing pve with the main toon). Of course, those should be included as there are costs but it is too much hassle. I also don’t recoup the cost of the BPO because it is an investment in the long run.
but as I said, the basics are Jita sell prices for all the moon goo because you need a base but most of my moon goo is bought directly in NS at Jita buy or 90% of Jita buy so it recovers a good parts of the costs not included in my maths

But all the others costs are counted, including the costs of invention, the costs of manufacturing at each steps. In my sheets, on the left is the costs of manufacturing an Ares, buying everything at Jita sell price. On the right, it is my costs of manufacturing the Ares from scratch.

the final cost is 11.864.983 when the Ares is sold at 26.190.000 isk in Amarr. Even with the listing and selling fee, the ROI is not that bad…

So I’m probably wrong somewhere, but tell me where…

if you approximate you have an error margin that can be greater than your benefit margin .

Also getting a margin >100% is a nonsense.
if your material cost of the ares is 11.8 and you sell your ares at 26.2 then you are making (26.2×0.9-11.8)/26.2 = 44% margin.
NOT 127.74%.

Also moving from NS/Jita to amarr is definitely a costly operation. The materials take more volume than the product IIRC so we can estimate the volume of moving areses . One package ares is 2500 m³ so 400 ares go in a freighter(approx) which is a cost of 4B8 in terms of materials and 1 000 000 in volume, so Haulers Channel - Base Rate Calculator gives us a 327M reward for 50 jumps to offer therefore 0.8 M per ship. Taking that cost into account in the margin formula means you go from 44% to 42% of margin.

Just because you evaluate yourself worse than other people does not mean you are not throwing money.

Materials I move myself are free ? Nope.

BTW the costs that I calculate for materials are a complex mix of my actual purchases, the market trend, and the available SO, with additional securities, like considering all my orders have been passed to BO with 5 relists while this is definitely not the case, considering the available volume in Jita (so if the SO is 5M but the volume I need goes to 20M then I consider the price of 20M) , and considering the market trend with a superior error margin (so value is more than median).

Also the costs of hauling and producing, since I do them myself, are more expensive than delegating to someone else, because I am a better person (actually because I do not optimize this activity).

So yes if I were to just take the “SO” value then I would have mechanically lower costs. but that would be wrong, at the same time.

1 Like

With my parameters I got the following cost for building ares :

Ares×4 with Parity Decryptor(p=0.6150000244379044 me=3 te=2) time(copy=3060 invent=54315 modified_invent=82800 manuf=319872 modified_manuf=342000) jobCost=2.394M timeCost=13.37M volCost=3.6M matCost=74.70M unitCost=23.52M

That’s when building everything I have access to from Jita. Modified invent and modified manufacturing is because I start jobs over X days and 23H in order to restart them every day at the same time. That means that manufacturing a 2-runs BPC (1H per runs) takes as long as a 10-runs BPC because both 2H and 10H are lower than 23H.

matCost includes decryptor and as you can see I have 18.7M/unit from mat cost. Now if you can build them somewhere else I guess you can shave the 37% material cost that you claim. But then hauling cost increases, though here it’s very low (so are job installation costs)

Industry is not profitable mainly because a lot of carebears have competed themselves into non-profitability. They put next to zero price on their time, effort and also minerals because they think that if they mine it, it’s free.

5 Likes

Here, use this.

All that matters is ISK PER HOUR of play. This will help you maximize your profitability. I like that it does a buy vs build on components. Some components are not worth making, most of them actually because of the long time they take to produce. Its “cheaper” to just buy them and give whoever made them that small profit margin instead of you making them, so you can crank our ships faster.

At current market costs, build / buy, Ares is making you about 54k ISK Per hour, which is absurdly low. You can mine Veldspar in high sec and make 50 times that.

1 Like