Snapshot of fittings in tool tip

So at the moment when you mouse over an assembled ship in your inventory you get the following tool tip showing the name of your ship and the cost of the hull only.

It means that if you have two ships of the same type but with different fits you cannot tell which fit is which at a glance unless you remember the names you gave them (which i often don’t). Currently the fastest way to figure out which fit is on which fit is by pressing ‘simulate fit’. What i propose is that the tooltip provide a snapshot of the assembled ships current fit and the value of the whole ship, including fit and cargo. e.g.

Forgive the crappy mock up and all the red. Paint can only go so far and loses a lot of detail if you shrink an image. Hopefully you get the idea.

The idea was inspired by not being able to tell which Nereus i’ve speed fit and which one i’ve cargo fit, so a glance at the modules is all i need. Putting in the actual cost of the fit and any cargo its carrying just makes sense instead of hull only.

What do you guys think?

1 Like

I can’t imagine a scenario where you’d have enough of the same ship (but with the same names) that would result in this being useful. If anything, it would end up like the training skills pop up that just ends up being more annoying than useful.

Develop a naming convention for your ships and get use to it.

I use symbols in my ship names so that I can quickly tell when I use multiples of the same hull. Otherwise, I name them specific things like “PP” for Planetary Production.

Tank
+ - single active rep
++ - dual rep
() - Buffer

Prop Mods
> - afterburner
>> - dual prop
(i don’t use a symbol for MWDs, because I assume that’s default)

etc. etc., find a naming convention that works best for you.

I have over 100 assembled T1 frigs with various fits for pvp. I use multiple fits for incursus, rifters, execs etc etc Sometimes i just want to know which weapon disrupter i currently have on a Condor, Arbitrator or Crucifier. See where i’m coming from?

How about the pop up shows up as it does now originally, but if the mouse is kept over the assembled ship for a few more seconds it then expands to show the fit (it’ll probably need time to load anyways).

I do for ships that i’ve just fit and haven’t undocked in. But i change the names before undocking so as to not advertise fittings to people on D-scan.

:red_circle: Interesting idea. A tooltip with the fitting in list form like in the Fitting Manager could also work. Currently, right click -> Show Contents works as well to figure out the fitting.

If such a tool tip were implemented, I hope that it does appear to the sides and not above/below the ships. This massive tooltip would block scrolling/browsing even more than current tooltips.

Then it’d take the same amount of time to just pop open a simulation of it or rename it something useful.

But zero carpal tunnel.

So, I’m torn on this.

On the one hand, I think this kind of mouse-over pop-up could be really neat, so long as there was an option to disable it because that level of pop-up spam would give me fits.

On the other hand…naming your ships accordingly seems like a much less time-intensive and server-straining way to handle this. I suspect that there would be enough lag between the “mouse-over” and the “pop-up” that it may be just as quick to right click and hit “Simulate Fit” is currently.

Overall, I’m “meh” on the idea. Could be useful, but there are existing workarounds and it could stress server performance for very little actual benefit.

Currently the fastest way to figure out which fit is on which fit is by pressing ‘simulate fit’.

Oh no, I have to spend 1 extra second to figure out which of those two ships has which fitting. #CCPleeeeease, spend money and (wo)men-hours to have me not live through this nightmare again!!!

2 Likes

actually it can be much more than 1s. When I have market open, industry open, it can take some time.

On the other hand, naming your fit correctly helps a lot.

Ok, so i don’t know if you know how server ticks works, it seems you don’t…but it takes more than one second to load a simulated fit.

And bravo for having only two ships. Unfortunately i have hundreds of fit ships. I mean there is literally three nereus’ in that pic lol.

And what takes quite a lot of time and clicking could be reduced to less time but more importantly, no clicking.

Ok, so i don’t know if you know how server ticks works, it seems you don’t…but it takes more than one second to load a simulated fit.

Oh, please enlighten me, wise master.

Dude, that’s a total none-issue. You are simply too lazy to name your ships accordingly.
And yes, it only takes like 1 second to load the simulated fit. Even if not, you are NOT checking hundreds of ships, you’re checking 2, 3 or 4 maybe. Again, simply because you are too lazy to name your ships properly. So don’t blow this out of proportion because you feel spending 10 seconds on checking your ships fits is annoying.

https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Server_tick

Read previous posts.

And sometimes the same ship has two different fits.

For example a mining barge can have an ice fit and an ore fit by just swapping a few mods. Not everyone has a barge just for ice and one just for ore.

And knowing which is fit which way could be handy without having to simulate fit on them all.

Again, my hangar is not your hangar.

I’ve plenty ships alone. Add on top of that other players using the same hangars with their ships as well.

Am i the one getting upset and blowing this out of proportion? Is my text in bold? Is it me insulting others? Take a step back for a moment before you answer…

Did i say it was annoying? Or do i just think we could streamline things a little?

Am i the one getting upset and blowing this out of proportion? Is my text in bold? Is it me insulting others? Take a step back for a moment before you answer…

Yes, you are. You act like it’s complicated and time consuming to find a certain ship among a few ships of the same type.
Ya, writing one word in bold to point out your bullsheit clearly is ME blowing things out of proportion.
And i never insulted you, so don’t play victim.

again

Dude, that’s a total none-issue.

You are simply too lazy to name your ships accordingly.

'nuf said

The biggest complaint was ‘carpal tunnel’ which is being used as an expression. I thought that was clear.

Uh huh…you even quoted one of your insults lol.

You’ve gotten quite emotionally invested over a tiny thread and knee jerk posted without reading the posts…chill out.

You are clearly projecting. And I don’t think that insulting means what you think it means; being offended is a choice, in this case your choice.

Btw, getting into micro arguements over every sentence and wording is hardly a good way to have an “argument”, so props to you for derailing your own thread.

Thread was quiet for 16 days, pretty much all points discussed…till you got a hard on for no reason.

But keep bumping it.

bump

Obviously not all points discussed since your whole thread can be summed up in one easy sentence

You are simply too lazy to name your ships accordingly.

And you would like CCP to spend money and men-hours to introduce something that would shave off a mere second for clicking ‘Simulate Fitting’ because of that fact.

What other points would you like to discuss?

I doubt this would take much time to do. I almost put it in little things but wanted to use a mock up.

And the current tool-tip is arguably misinformation. The value of the hull alone when there is much more than the hull related to those ships.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.