So if it's pronounced 'Posh-vahn', why do you spell it 'Pochven'?

I missed that one. As pointed out further above …
… the whole Triglavian arc has strong slavic roots.

It makes sense. Why invent new words and concepts,
when you can reuse old ones no one knows about anyway?

Well it’s sort of a CCP tradition, isn’t it? I don’t use the word Nighoggur on a daily basis these days :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well no one from the English speaking world I guess.
(But Zorya was dead obvious)

1 Like

It’s the other way around. The way a word is written approaches how it is phoneticly said in the language it belongs to, not in English. When you write Pochven and pronounce it in slavic language, Posh-vahn is what it sounds like in English. But to a slav, it sounds exacly like how it was written.

I could ask the same question… if the word is “Rabbit”, why is it pronounced as “Whabbit”? Because in my language, the R is pronounced sharply while it’s swallowed in English. So my interpretation is off due to my own linguistic bias for pronounciation.

What? Either my eyes are in back to front or you have this a bit mixed up.

Jonathan Ross?

3 Likes

Im guessing Elmer Fudd

3 Likes

Think he’s talking about a particular dialect of English, one which has been parodied in some well known films.

Can you be specific? I really cant think of such a dialect.

Edit: Elmer Fudd’s speech is a speech impediment, its not a regional variation.

1 Like

I believe Avaelica is referring to the dialect of the toffee nosed twat.

2 Likes

Yeah I had a feeling, whether its the Oxford Plum or the Harvard Drawl, soft R in Rabbit is always the result of an impediant.

Which is correctable.

Not meaning any ill will to Avaelica, btw x

FWIW, I was going by this video Why Jonathon Ross Can’t Pronounce His Rs

I’ve got a terrible accent: Antipodean.

2 Likes

Yeah its an impediment there. Sorry, I have a mother who is a Speech Therapist, I had lisping and soft Rs beaten out of me at an early age lol

1 Like

Sometimes the R is suppressed due to the accent and what follows it, as in non rhotic variations of the language.

On fire half of the time, trying to kill you all of the time; still better than London.

1 Like

I suppose the closer to France you get the more distant good solid Rs get.

Still, eat Irish MFs, nothing sounds as it looks.

2 Likes

I’m in the SW and we still have a rhotic accent down this way; we’re pretty rural down here, so much so that it’s not uncommon to see a tractor parked in Tesco in some towns.

My brother lives in Kent and has lost his accent, his partner is Chinese and thinks that I sound like I’ve just left the farm.

1 Like

Lol fair dos.

I hadnt thought about it that way.

I guess to folk outside these blighted isles may have a different view.

After all Eastend London, Essex and Mersey are all called “The British Accent” in America, and we are just as guilty when it comes to what we class as American, ie TV accent, rather than the broad sweep of accents that exist (for example, Deep Southern drawls often have a lot in common in pattern, volume and slang as Northern Irish english dialects, which were one of the sources, but also counter-influenced by the enourmous consumption and popularity of Westerns here between 1940-1970.)

1 Like

Indeed there’s places in the US and Canada where the accent is so thick that only locals and people from specific areas of the UK can understand them.

The Newfoundland accent is a mix of West Country and Irish; and IIRC there’s places in North Carolina that have a very distinct West Country accent.

I watched a vid on the pronunciation of anglo saxon English the other day, I got about 75% of what the guy was saying, although having a knowledge of German helped loads as there’s a lot of germanic influence in the language

2 Likes

And lets not forget the country with the second largest number of Welsh speakers outside Wales; Argentina

2 Likes