So if it's pronounced 'Posh-vahn', why do you spell it 'Pochven'?

Also, I have decided that Pochven (aka Poochy) can also be pronounced thusly;

Po (as in Poe, as in Edgar Allen Poe)

Ch (hard K sound, “K-hh”, followed by the H, pronounced “Eh”)

Ven (pronounced as in Robert Vaughn, but the V representing a hard M, thusly “Mauhn”)

1 Like

It isn’t apart from by people with lisps and cartoon characters. I’m English. I say Rabbit with a hard R. I have never met anyone in my life who says ‘Whabbit’ and if I did I would punch them.

:rofl:

1 Like

If it’s pronounced new-q-lur, why do you spell it nuclear?

Mr Epeen :sunglasses:

1 Like

New-klee-ur

Would President Bush ever tell a lie?

Mr Epeen :sunglasses:

1 Like

Can wookies even SAY their own ■■■■■■■ planet’s name tho

1 Like

No, you don’t. What in regular English sounds like a “hard R” is still softer then the hardest R of all my nation’s dialects. In English, repeating the letter (like RRRRRR) comes out as an even, monotonous tone without vibrato. A Rotterdam RRRR is done with exaggerated vibrato from the larynx.

Or, perhaps (and this was my point) the label “hard” is rather relative to the listener. British, Americans… all have this different sound for R relative to my own language. To me an English R does not sound like an R, because in my own frame of reference an R is made by vibrating the larynx far more strongly.

The more vibrato, the “harder”, right? Perhaps I have this bit off as I’m not a phometics expert and can barely follow the rest of the thread. I do apologize for characterizing the British as Elmer Fudd, it’s just that that cartoon character came to mind when trying to explain how no English-based pronounciation for the letter R sounds “hard” to me.

That’s what I meant. Except Rotterdam. Rotterdam is the capital of hard R’s. This is literally what it sounds like:

1 Like

Elmer Fudd isn’t real, mate. :smiley:

1 Like

:open_mouth:

What … :smiley:
… though after listening to this guy above, I think I get it. :smiley:

To be fair Im more used to a rolled Scots hard Rrrrr but your point still stands.

But I wouldnt ever say wh is common for R in spoken english in my experience

Try this one: eyjafjallajökull

And it’s “poached when” not potchven
200 (4)

1 Like

Sounds like a purring cat sat on a moped :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Stahp it Ron

2 Likes

tumblr_nk8yh09Tbh1s25bcfo7_250

1 Like

Did you just turn this into a ‘who has the hardest R’ competition?

:rofl:

A video of someone doing a Velociraptor impression and the assertion that RRRRRR repeated in Rotterdam is the hardest thing since Benjamin Grimm’s testicles still doesn’t mean we say ‘Whabbit’ in England.

:smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.