So, this is where our extra money goes... CCP's failed attempt to hire influencers

Lots of PLEX.

Hiring a stream is not as expensive as you crybabies pretend.

4 Likes

No amount of NPE remakes is going to make Eve attractive to new players.
The biggest issue with the NPE is that it ends by dumping you into EVE.

They would need to redesign the entire game, and they are not doing any of that. Nothing CCP has done for the last years has done anything to address this. In fact they have steadily made the game worse and worse instead.

2 Likes

Tribalism is the best way to describe the social structure here, and yes there are alot of positive vibes in this game even despite the fact that EVE does not generally discriminate anti-social behavior. But the truth is most human beings are very basic: You can be social and even have fun in a Nazi-Drug-Cartel Biker Gang. :smiley:

I don’t think there is any issue with the NPE, to the contrary I think it holds hands too much. Depends what kind of new player you’re referring to.

That’s still open for debate. EVE isn’t dead. I’m curious to see how it goes.

Happy to chime in on this as this is something I’m heavily involved in.

Influencer campaigns come in many different forms, and it’s something we’ve been actively engaging in for well over a year.

Selection is something that we are very cautious of; a random run-of-the-mill variety streamer probably won’t have a great time going into EVE blind for a short time. As one of EVE’s first streamers, I’m acutely aware of the challenges the game offers. To that end, we have a very robust selection process for candidates using a variety of metrics and intangible qualities. We harden this process after every cycle to ensure we’re on the right path with our selection, and occasionally we experiment with ‘riskier’ talent just to make sure we’re not leaving anything on the table.

The notion that the potential streamers are thrown into the deep end, blind, with no assets is not the case at all.

I personally prepare information for streamers for each campaign, point them to community resources as well as our own, give them some SP in the form of training boost bundles, and in some cases give them bespoke training plans and ship fits such that they can jump straight into an activity with their limited time.

Sometimes we pair them with our amazing EVE Partners, with other influencers on the campaign, and even with actual CCP developers.

In the cases where these talents are going solo, it’s because they know their audience and they actively decide to. EVE is an old game, and former EVE players are spread far and wide through gaming communities. And if there’s one thing about EVE players - past and present - is they’re eager to help other people try EVE.

5 Likes

There was a paper written about Eve here Title: Feudal Alliances in a Hyper-Capitalist World: Power and Organization in EVE Online that may be of interest to you.

Unfortunately it was written in Microsoft Word.

1 Like

CCP is out of touch as usual. Hiring some random Koreans to slog through the NPE for an hour is going to do absolutely nothing for the game. It’s just a background commercial for their audiences that they sit and make small talk in stream chat through before getting back to their regularly-scheduled MOBA programming.

What they should’ve done is throw like fifty grand at an experienced Western MMO streamer who doesn’t need their hands held and has already heard of EVE, like Asmongold for example, along with carte blanche to act as psycho as they want on stream. Maybe throw in a per-kill bonus for any kills made by their corporation/alliance, or on their behalf. Would probably see the PCU get bumped up by like 3,000-4,000 and get a whole bunch of people heavily invested in the game as the drama unfolds.

The “feel-good” newbie pew-pew angle just isn’t going to work unless CCP literally only hires hot girls and stipulates that they need to directly order their fans to play the game.

3 Likes

Here you go 50skills Careers and 50skills Careers. Show them how its done.

No thanks. There isn’t a single job on that list that’s located in the US and beats my current salary, and I have a feeling that they’re not going to c-suite some random kid who’s been griefing players out of their game since middle school.

Also, lots of talk online that working for CCP is actually nightmare material.

If one is gona work for an {bleeeep} it might as well be themselves.

Contract out your services :smirk:

I’m already providing them these services for free, but they’re not listening because they want to get their money’s worth from the millions they’re already giving to their marketing people who likely haven’t touched video games in decades.

Let me put it this way: I’ve been here longer than most of them, and know considerably more about the game than they do, but it’s not knowledge that they would appreciate, or need, because they’re no longer developing EVE as a game, but as a service.

1 Like

Peak Eve is over, no new awards or accolades since 2013 (on their own website) and player count chart topped in 2013. Two sources of proof that it’s over. Three sources of proof if you consider an increase in average multi-accounting factor from 2 to 3.

I agree, but at least the decline is going to be long and drawn-out enough to milk this cow for all the enjoyment it has before the non-consensual PvP genre is finally outlawed in most Western countries.

When Ministry of Participation Awards for All?

China actually did regulate gaming. See here from the department of “they still don’t believe our organisation exists” What’s behind China’s recent video game restrictions? | World Economic Forum

Where I live, it’s already a thing. Like there are literal regulations saying that you can’t award some kids and not others because it’s exclusionary.

I came to the realization that I was living in a dying society early on. I was like 12, and got absolutely dunked on in a foot race during a school event, and got given a medal for it anyway. I put it in the trash.

For other reasons, though.

1 Like

Novelty participation rewards are ok in a novelty fun event as a souvenir, but for competitive ranking events, it’s bad.

Stop shitting on the forums and apply for the various positions that CCP offers and do exactly what you say you are capable off. Be that change, make an impact.

It is easy to say stuff on the forums like so many people do.

If CCP hired all these “experts” posting on the forums then I am sure EVE will have more players than WOW in no time.

2 Likes

lmao CCP

Show me a game that peaked more than once.