Socket closed 3 times every every days. 2018

Calling BS on some people in this saying 24/7, i can play battlefield for 4 hours straight without a problem then come on eve and get disconnect every 5 minutes, its a game code problem

Itā€™s not a game code problem though. Iā€™ve been playing EVE almost every day all day without any issues. EVE is on different servers to Battlefield, servers that are in London. The traceroute from your PC to London is going to be different from your PC to wherever EA keeps their servers, which is probably nearer to you. There are a million potential points of failure there. Learn how the internet works.

EA arenā€™t idiots so when you drop packets in Battlefield you lag or rubberband and the game tries to reconnect/re-establish

Ccp brilliantly decided the moment any packets drop at all, it closes the client connection and forces DISCONNECT.

It is in fact a DESIGN CHOICE MADE 15 YEARS AGO WHEN DEVELOPING THE GAME.

Dont be so smug when you are ignorant

1 Like

And yet, EAā€™s servers are incredibly unreliable due to EA choosing to spend as little money as possible on them, and players consistently complain about them for every online EA game across the board. Meanwhile, EVEā€™s servers are historically the single most stable across online gaming history, with 98+% uninterrupted uptime (with the exception of scheduled downtimes which donā€™t count as failures because they are intended). A few hiccups here and there do not detract from that even a little bit, and most ā€˜socket closedā€™ incidents have absolutely nothing to do with EVEā€™s servers, which are far more expensive than any single group of servers EA uses for any one game combined.

Iā€™m not being smug, and Iā€™m not being ignorant. Your assumption that the problem couldnā€™t possibly be on your end, or somewhere in between, is your ignorance on display. So stop projecting, and learn how the internet works.

As a side note, when I first started playing, I was playing on wi-fi and was getting ā€˜socket closedā€™ errors a few times a day. As soon as I switched to a direct LAN connection, it dropped to once or twice a year.

From the ISD post like 10 posts up

Its Eve specific.

Ccp could literally spend xxx money and yyy hours and change Eve to act more in line with modern online games where you dont have ā€œsocket closuresā€

Ccp can fix it should they choose to.

They decide itā€™s not worth it

It works that way on purpose.

If your game is getting packet loss while youā€™re in the middle of something that could cause ship loss, disconnecting you from the game causes your ship to escape as soon as possible. This is a good thing that Iā€™m thankful for, as it has saved a number of my ships from potential bad things happening to them in the middle of DEDs and the like.

When you die in Battlefield, you donā€™t actually lose anything.

The thing is, this isnā€™t broken. Most packet loss isnā€™t a result of EVEā€™s servers. They are incredibly powerful. And CCP canā€™t fix issues in between you and their servers. CCP donā€™t own your ISP, they donā€™t own the infrastructure.

Take a look at google maps for the US. Imagine your e-sport server is in florida, EVE in New York, and your somewhat ignorant butt sitting somewhere in California. Would you take the exact same route to reach Florida as you do New York? No? Neither does your god damn internet traffic. Now imagine thereā€™s a pileup on the route to New York caused by an overpass collapsing in Kentucky, thus delaying traffic. Is that somehow New Yorkā€™s fault? EVEā€™s fault? No, it isnt. Itā€™s the fault of whoever is supposed to have been maintaining that overpass.

Can you have fights with over a 3000 people simultanously in Battlefield? The last I checked it was 64 at the most.

In Battlefield are you just a tiny group of people, waiting for a server to become available and your match to start. You are disconnected until then. Your socket closes hundreds of times each day there and when it happens during a match does nobody care, because youā€™ll just have another match afterwards.

Then compare EVE to this where you can have thousands of people all fighting each other more than 23 hours per day. If anyone in EVE would experience rubber-banding then you wouldnā€™t hear the end of it. Lag in EVE is also artificially introduced by TiDi, which allows the game to get on top of lag before it occurs, giving everyone an equal experience even under over-loaded conditions.

EA may not be idiots, but I donā€™t see them doing the same thing as CCP does either.

Itā€™s a strong argument. No doubt.

Yeah, never use Wi-Fi while EVE is running!

BTW. The same is for DHCP clients. Use static IP, because DHCP server resets IPs on a scheduled basis as a result your EVE connection will be closed. If your home routerā€™s DHCP server is tuned badly it can happen 3 times per day. :smiley:

Also, a lot of people fail to remember that while theyā€™re used to playing games like Battlefield on peer-to-peer connections, EVE doesnā€™t work that way.

1 Like

It sucks at times, but on the other hand, how much more rage would we if this wasnā€™t in place? This is what regularly saves ships that players canā€™t control anymore due to packets being lost.

I called and heavily scolded all Internet service providers in Georgia. for which I nearly fell into prison! I, too, can not play in EVE. wish you luckā€¦

If you have timers you donā€™t ā€˜escapeā€™. Instead you can be killed right away before you even can log in back.

If youā€™re not scrammed, the moment you lose connection to the game, your drones are recovered and youā€™re automatically warped off one million kilometres. Timers will keep you in space, on dscan, but otherwise, you will escape whatever situation you might be in, provided youā€™re not scrammed.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.