"Socket Closed" in the Abyss

I’m curious to know if anyone else is having random “Socket Closed” issues while running Abyssal sites. This is the second time it has happened to me.

After being disconnected I tried to immediately reconnect, no luck. I’m aware of the “login issues” that are currently affecting players. As recommended to me in one of my support tickets, I removed my account from the launcher and tried re-adding it and then connecting. It took me roughly an hour of trying before I was able to reconnect. Needless to say… Ship + Pod lost in the Abyss.

If anyone has any tips on avoiding this “Socket Closed” bug or… If anyone knows a way of reconnecting quickly. Please let me know.

One of the main causes for a “Socket Closed” is an “unstable” connection, so what does this mean to you, well what you want to do is limit the number of possible points of failure.

• Use cable to connection between your PC and your router.
  • Limit the number of background programs you have running, which uses your bandwidth.
  • If you have connection issues no-matter what games you play, have your ISP check your connection for potential instability. Maybe your internet speed is too high for the phone-cable (or whatever) to handle.

I had socket closures regularly only when there were very big delays in data delivery along the net. It was my ISP problem, they had some really bad configuration or something, maybe load on server was big too, as they had some technical difficulties too. With time it changed but I had to bother them with news that Internet is bad, basically every week.

Yep, blame the customer… Amazing how Eve Online is the only online game I have ever played to have this problem, so often… .yeah, it’s just us… not you.

5 Likes

Thanks for the replies.

As for my internet connection, it works perfectly in other games I play. Also yes, I am connected directly to my router.

Oh irony… As I am typing this I was just disconnected from the game. Check it out! http://prntscr.com/kh4uev Great stuff!

If this is recent, then it is probably linked to: 2018/08/08 - DDoS Attack!

In the aftermath of the most recent DDOS attack, a lot of players are experiencing this it seems. Most likely your IP is similar to some that were used in the attack and not recognized as a proper player connection. Wait for a few days of good connection for things to quiet down before doing anything too risky.

Yes this is recent… I agree with you, I think it’s best if I just wait before trying to run more Abyssal sites. Hopefully, everything gets sorted out soon.

1 Like

I’m not blaming anyone, just stating facts from my own past experiences, if it were an issue with CCP’s services it would affect a lot more than it is.

Although I cannot deny the fact it may have something to do with the recent DDoS attacks

I’m sure it is affecting more people… It’s just, most who are experiencing this issue may not post on the forums and would probably just submit a support ticket.

Make sure that the (many) usual sources of problems (ressources available, your wife/husband not pulling the plug for a second now and then, system load reasonable, net connection stable, firewall rules set correctly and so on) can be excluded and if you have the option try to check if the problem remains when using a VPN (and try choosing an exit point in Europe, preferably the UK or NL)

If it only happens while you have several chars logged in and at least one of those chars is inactive and docked, try keeping all your online chars “active” in some way, e.g. produce need for communication between client and server on all online chars. (or log out those you don’t currently need).

Alternatively, try using a different DNS. Google’s DNS server should be worth a shot. Flush DNS or restart computer after doing so.

Hope you get it sorted.

P.S. If I had Sockets close on me regularly and if I wanted to know why (instead of finding a quick fix), I’d probably try to circle in on the problem with all available diagnostic tools and (if it is possible without breaching the EULA) trying to find out what exactly the triggers are that lead the program to raise the exception.

(edit: refrain from using “blackbox” routers, if you can)

1 Like

The exact reason is because THAT IS HOW CCP PROGRAMMED IT 15 YEARS AGO

When packets drop/signal slows eve is MADE ON PURPOSE TO START CLIENT DISCONNECT PROCESS AND DROP CLIENT ■■■■■■■ FAST AS HELL.

Any and every other MMO deals with it better, there you lag or stall or rubberband or chop etc etc.

Eve just says screw you for not having a packet for 6 seconds DICONNECTED PUNK!

It’s a design choice.

You can avoid by have help chat window open for constant network communication

Have open 1-3 other Online Games plus eve.

Eve will socket close, other games will lag.

Open up from F2P online games and eve right now

Test it.

WOULDNT BE SO BAD OF PROBLEM EXCEPT IT TAKES 5-10 MINUTES TO GET BACK INTO THE GAME OR LOAD GRID EVEN UNDER OPTIMAL CONDITIONS.

SO SHOVE THIS ISP ■■■■■■■■. THIS IS A DESIGN CHOICE MADE BY CCP 15 YEARS AGO ON HOW TO HANDLE LOST PACKETS/DROPS IN NETWORK COMMS FOR A FEW SECONDS.

1 Like

Interesting…

What’s even more interesting to me is that this forum post is so active… but my support ticket related to this issue has still not been replied to.

There have been several DDoS attacks over the last month so this could be connected to them. I was being repeatedly disconnected yesterday with this error myself.

FYI - It’s better to obtain more details first in order to properly diagnose the problem instead of immediately offering a solution blindly.

1 Like

That’s why I was saying to stay active. But are we even sure this is still the case?

I’ve tried to reproduce the situation: no chat, empty local, absolutely nothing opened, window minimized, launcher closed. Still, my client and CCP keep talking to each other.

I switched my VPN from OpenVPN to L2TP and its making a big difference. But its still not enough for me to undock and do anything too risky, just bland stuff, some marketing maybe etc. I’ll start playing again when the majority of this passes to at least a good extent.

Neither CCP or the consumer or their ISP can do anything against DDoS. Just because there have been such attacks does not necessarily mean that they are connected to this.
I wasn’t blindly making suggestions to the problem, I stated it on my past experiences on the subject.

CCP is doing something about it and they have stated several times they are using a DDoS mitigation partner, who is filtering the traffic in real-time. I’m assuming this is why 90%-95% of players are still in the game during these attacks and why we’re not seeing a complete blackout. It’s not quite as gloomy as you think.

2 Likes

Caps lock? And stop spouting nonsense Anne-Marie

Yell louder please. I can’t hear you.