Solo carrier viable?

Hey guys, returning to Eve. Last played in 2019 and ran this solo carrier build with some success, is it still fine to fly?

[Nidhoggur, Oldman]
Capital Ancillary Armor Repairer
Multispectrum Energized Membrane II
Damage Control II
Multispectrum Energized Membrane II
Capital Armor Repairer I

Warp Scrambler II
Cap Recharger II
Stasis Webifier II
Capital Capacitor Booster I
Cap Recharger II
Heavy Stasis Grappler II

Heavy Infectious Scoped Energy Neutralizer
Fighter Support Unit I
Networked Sensor Array
Fighter Support Unit I

Capital Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Capital Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Capital Explosive Armor Reinforcer I

Cap Booster 3200 x5
Nanite Repair Paste x400

Einherji I x30
Templar I x28

1 Like

Someone suggested something like this:

[Nidhoggur, Nidhoggur]
Damage Control II
Drone Damage Amplifier II

[Empty Med slot]
Sentient Sensor Booster
Capital Shield Extender I
Capital Shield Extender I
Omnidirectional Tracking Link II
Sentient Drone Navigation Computer

Fighter Support Unit II
Fighter Support Unit II
Fighter Support Unit II
Networked Sensor Array

Capital EM Shield Reinforcer I
Capital Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer I
Capital Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer I

Tracking Speed Script x1
Scan Resolution Script x2
Optimal Range Script x1
Multispectrum Shield Hardener II x1
Shadow Serpentis Sensor Booster x1
IFFA Compact Damage Control x1

Siren I x3
Dromi I x4
Templar II x10

But I don’t think it’s any good for soloing due to lack of webs. Would I be correct in assuming that?

To answer the first question, it depends on what you are trying to do.

Second, don’t fly what you cannot afford to lose because you will lose it sooner or later.

Third, your planned activity should determine what you fit. Without knowing what you are going to do, it is too difficult to advise of a fit.

1 Like

I can afford to lose, I’m playing for fun.

Just want to take a carrier solo out into null to catch some prey, that’s what I used to do back then. You think it would still work on this fit?

You said, you played in 2019. Did you have any success catching anything in your carrier?

Oh yeah, but I don’t think I put much thought into it - just flew what was suggested by a friend who no longer plays. I want to know if you can suggest any improvements, maybe the meta changed, maybe you see some obvious flaws in the fit!

For example I don’t have a scram. Should I have it if I’m planning to solo, and where would I put it?

As a general rule of thumb, you should have a handful, if not more, friends flying with you. That network sensor array will lock you in place and start a weapon timer.

If you are flying by yourself, you cannot use your jump drive.

Better yet, don’t fly capital ships and try to solo anything. Fly something more mobile and see what people are flying to kill you.
A capital ship in nullsec just asks for a capital response and if you are very, very lucky, the only ship you will be flying is your escape pod.

In case you decide to make some money instead, I guess you could run some level 5 missions in lowsec with your second fit.

Unless people got even more careless, you won’t have much luck finding anyone willing to engage a carrier by themselves. They usually yell for backup first.

Do you fly a carrier solo?

Unless I am trying something new on the test server, I wouldn’t. I’d rather fly my hurricane or whatever other boat I fancy at the time.
And I would advise anyone else not to fly capitals solo either. You should fly something smaller.

The good thing about smaller ships is, that you can lose a lot more of those and do it more often. The responses are also not as dire, and you learn a lot.

So you don’t. But I’m asking how to improve this fit, not how to live my life.

Generally speaking ships in EVE allow you to do some combination of the following: tank, catch, hold, dps, escape, kite, support, bait.

Carrier certainly can’t catch anything that isn’t afk and is not baiting you, so here goes your pvp out of the window right there. You can’t engage or disengage at will.

It can’t reliably hold anything either nor does it dps applies that well to cruiser size hulls with AB.

So in summary you will have moderate success vs people who are clueless (which in fairness is bigger part of eve) but once you meet a competent player you’ll be surprised to find out that your carrier can die to a t3 cruiser (or more likely a gang, when you get baited on a punisher and can’t escape).

Check out the videos from Few Will Hunt on youtube, they do a lot of blops stuff but also some solo carrier work, you can probably get an idea of their fits and tactics from that.

Following this because I’m genuinely interested if a solo carrier is viable. I can fly a Niddy too.

I’m late to this kind of gameplay, but I’m having a blast solo roaming in T3’s. The cloaky roaming and probing is a lot of fun and you can cause a lot of grief for nullseccers and you are so mobile and sneaky in comparison.

Rooting for you anyway with this carrier idea. Best luck!

Solo carrier viable?

I’d say no. Not really.

While you surely could roam around with a carrier, you can hardly catch anything that does not want to be caught.
You may be able to kill some eager first-responders, sure. But getting out alive will be pretty damn hard after that. What however may play into your hands is that most people are not too familiar with how carriers work, or have forgotten the important bits and will make mistakes.

Big issue might be the NSA that will hard tackle yourself for the time it’s active.
After that a single frigate may hold you down and prevent you from going anywhere but slowboat back to that gate you came from.

If anything, gating a carrier from A to B will require a lot of luck to get you a decent fight.

But who knows, maybe luck is on your side. You will only know if you try. If you can afford to risk that ship, why not just do it.
People did not think roaming in a Dread is viable until Big Miker came along and just did it.

Maybe this would be a good botter cleanup service.

Flying a carrier for solo PvP is a great way to lose it. Someone is going to get a HIC on it and then the response fleet will fly in. And you carrier will be a wreck shortly afterwards.

I mean… I hope I’m in the response fleet.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.