(SOLVED) New problem with native windows launcher on Pop!_os

Hi all,

so I did a fresh install of Pop!_os 18.10.
Installed Wine 3.0.3 and winetricks.
with winecgf I’ve set it to windows xp, disabled the d3d_11, and added d3d9_36, VCrun2005, 2008 and 2010

Now when I want to install the launcher I get the following message:

0042:err:module:import_dll Library d3d11.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\EVE\\Launcher\\Qt5WebEngineCore.dll") not found
0042:err:module:import_dll Library Qt5WebEngineCore.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\EVE\\Launcher\\Qt5WebEngineWidgets.dll") not found
0042:err:module:import_dll Library Qt5WebEngineWidgets.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\EVE\\Launcher\\evelauncher.exe") not found
0042:err:module:attach_dlls Importing dlls for L"C:\\EVE\\Launcher\\evelauncher.exe" failed, status c0000135

What am I doing wrong?

There is no need to disable d3d11 in wine himself. You enable d3d9 mode in the launcher settings. I dont know, if you need d3d9_36 and these runtimes, it should run without it.

1 Like

Got it working.
It were the corefonts that were missing and caused the problem

Leave out the bolded part and try it again.

Also don’t install the corefonts with winetricks, but install them using your package manager. You may for example have a package called “fonts-wine” and “ttf-mscorefonts-installer”.

Using winetricks corefonts is outdated and many distros offer the MS fonts as an additional package where these become available to your entire system, meaning for all users and all applications, and not just one, single WINE prefix. WINE will then pick up the MS fonts like any other fonts on your system (through Xft, fontconfig, freetype, harfbuzz, etc.).

1 Like

No. It actually says in your error messages “Library d3d11.dll (…) not found” and that’s exactly what happens when you disabled d3d11 through winecfg. And because it couldn’t find the d3d11.dll could it not load the next library and the next and so on, because each depends on the other.

If you prefer DirectX9 then see the launcher settings, which has it as an option. You should not need to do anything besides setting it into “Windows XP”-mode.

Then it’s a combination of disabling d3d11 and missing the corefonts.
Because I’ve played with the d3d11 settings, having it disabled, enabled and completely removed from winecfg, it still wouldn’t work.
But after installing the corefonts, I actually got the launcher working

1 Like

By the way, where did you read it would require to disable d3d_11, and to add d3d9_36, VCrun2005, 2008 and 2010?

I remember a time around WINE 1.6-1.7 where one had to use some of these to override the WINE builtin DLLs, but this is a long time in the past. Unless we actually have known issues today should we try to stomp out those ancient work-arounds. I’ve seen them in the WineHQ AppDB as well being mentioned recently by a few people, while others report not to need them.

So unless we have actual proof should we start mentioning it and kill these old work-arounds now that EVE Online has reached a Platinum rating at the AppDB.

I got it from the WineHQ site

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=25823

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.