Drones can be set to mine any asteroid in range in auto mode like salvage drones with wreckages
and this one is abit more heavy but, mining is not very engaging in this game, so i thought maybe another way to mine asteroids that would increase yield but you’d have to do some kind of alignment minigame? So people who want to afk mine can still do so.
You can set a default ‘keep at range’ distance in the targeting window, which I think does what you want this function to do.
No, mining should not be more automated and become even less engaging than it is now.
I think it could have been nice to introduce a nice interactive minigame where sometimes pieces of ore break off which drift off and you can grab them for significantly additional yield, to make mining optionally a bit more interactive and bring single account mining for players who have plenty of time to do that more in line with a player multiboxing 10 of them who won’t be able to chase after such situations.
But I think the basis of mining should still stay the simple “put mining laser at asteroid” gameplay and not some kind of minigame.
I guess I never felt the need to try, asteroids are stationary after all.
What’s wrong with flying until the rock is in range of your lasers and stopping your ship then? It’s like one if the very few things you can do while mining.
Mining drones already mine and return, and cycle. Why do they need to be automated? How hard is it to target an asteroid and tell the drones to mine. They do relatively low output (excluding rorqual drones) and stay on target - I fully don’t understand how making them auto select roids would benefit anyone in anyway. For instance, you wouldn’t even be able to mine the most optimal ore. They’d just mine whatever they like.
I thought I put it in my answer but automation. Mining needs some level of active input. Otherwise you’d just have drone boats in belts eating up rocks without even pressing a button. There has to be some sort of user inputs in mining.
I thought I was clear on my reason: Mining drones contribute SFA in the grand scheme of things. And there are no gas huffing drones. You want a counter? Make shooting drones (any drone) a suspect offence in high-sec. There - now we’ve just created more content!
You want to talk about automation? Why is drone assist even still a thing?
Well, some people like you use mining drones on their orcas. They sit in one spot and try to, minimally, make back what they’re spending on fuel cost for boosts. Yes, it adds little to the grand scheme of things but it helps.
I have no idea why there aren’t gas mining drones. Bug a CSM about it - there are elections coming soon maybe you can get one of them to ask Fenris about it (which Fenris will just do their own thing and ignore them.) But you tried, and that’s what matters.
And the reason there’s mining drones is because there’s combat drones - It’s as simple as that. They may fight different targets but engage target when inputted. Unless, like combat drones they’re set to passive and they’ll attack when aggro’d but, crazy concept, asteroids don’t shoot back soo they don’t automagicly engage/mine.