Some notes on Ubuntu 18.04

You’ve probably meant this to be a rhetorical question, but it has an answer to it.

A reasonable expectation is for CCP Snorlax wanting to move on and to focus on other EVE projects. I do wish for him that he can do whatever he wants to do and that he doesn’t feel obligated to continue working on something, which is no longer needed. His efforts may be needed in newer projects and I don’t want to be holding him back.

1 Like

My next step are to find a more userfriendly installroutine, a graphical setup with zenity or so, which always should be installed, then winetricks need this too. We will see.

Well, probably it’s just me, but I never considered his volunteer, free-time effort to be more than a huge demonstration of massive selflessness for which I’ll be eternally grateful. He gave us another choice, for as much unofficial it may be, and like in all volunteer projects, I’m pretty sure he scratched an itche he had. Nothing more, nothing less. Like linux the kernel itself, back in 1991.

Given the choice between

• no official cllient, no official launcher, you’re always on your own
  • no official client, “good will” launcher by some rogue developer offering part of his free time to help others (T3C shader crash, never forget! o7)

I know what I prefer.

It can end at any moment? Sure. But equally sure I’ll enjoy every minute of it. Because it’s more choice, and walking in the path of someone who packages/optimizes a WINE distro knowing how the client works from inside.

Even WINE devs could quit at any time. But that doesn’t stop us from keep enjoying their efforts.

2 Likes

Well, you certainly have a very romantic view on all of this.

I’m the immortal commander or colossal widowmaking vessels faring the infinite void of space in an epic worldwide opera of trust and betrayal, of camaraderie and backstabbers, of flamboyant endeavors and hideous misdeeds.

Pardon me if I paint the world with a touch of romance. :wink:

2 Likes

I found that after upgrading to 18.04, the upgrade did not install the 32-bit opengl drivers. In addition to the instructions above from @Zoltan_Irvam I additionally had to do:

sudo apt-get install libnvidia-gl-390:i386

without that you’ll see an error like:

0059:err:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo couldn’t initialize OpenGL, expect problems

Please stop confusing the words native, wine, and QT.

Also if you could all be dears and stop confusing Ubuntu with the rest of Linux.

All hail Snorlax, coder of the good things.

Please stop telling people what to do or you my dear get told what to do. Adapt and learn to understand what people say and mean and then act upon in without being condescending and arrogant, or you’re just a nerd who cannot deal with it. Nobody, including you, is perfect, as you’ve just demonstrated.

Get yourself a new pair of sunglasses, kiddo. :dealwithitparrot:

I have read this because i like to get the game running on ubuntu 18.04 when i read it is see alot of people telling the poster that his way is old and it should be done with wine…
Yet the poster gives a working solution and the people telling him to use wine and the windows installer have yet to give a working solution.
playonlinux database gives none other then the trannaris version (very old)

can someone point the ubuntu users that miss the big indepth knowledge how to install this in wine then?

It’s been posted into a couple of other threads, but I’m happy to repeat it for you.

To use EVE on WINE with the Windows installer and launcher of the game do you need to set WINE to “Windows XP”-mode and for Ubuntu 18 specifically does it need dotnet40 installed with winetricks.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.