Something wicked this way comes

Seems I was right. I can see the hand of some of the stalwart CSM there trying to fix the worst of the damage, but basically the core of the next expansion is instanced PvE content.

Oh well. I really wish it the best, but I am afraid we are in for another example of how little appetite there is for safe and private PvE content across the player base. Maybe these private sites will be super-fun, but even then, I doubt this is going to be a memorable expansion based on the subject matter. I should wait for the details of course.

Still, those new ships/weapons are intriguing…

Well, if they want to go run their sites on their own, if that is even the case, then I have no problem waiting until they come out so I can steal their stuff.

Key point being that others can find where you will come about, supposedly, before you do.

Also, being instanced, if that new space fully is, allows them to test fixes and redesigns to a lot of core systems that they could not do otherwise on TQ.

I don’t know. If this is a major pillar of your game design you go on about in your Keynote, and the primary feature of your new expansion is private PvE space separate and isolated from the sandbox, you might be doing something wrong.

I’ll wait to see all the details before I pass final judgment, but it is quite obvious now that this is what Aryth and others were trying to telegraph to us a few months ago.

2 Likes

Seems likely this is what was being referred to.

Nervously pessimistic about what this means for the game overall, though I’m sure there will be a lot of happy people individually.

2 Likes

I would say for them to deepen the sandbox would require a lot of digging. Removing a lot of sand in the process, but that is not probably what they had in mind. :joy:

They could have said more sand in the sandbox. That is what these new modules would bring actually. And mechanics to create them are kind of a sand too. Also a gamble.

1 Like

Don’t think this is the one, you can only stay a limited time in the Abyss pocket until it collapses, with every “level” you risk your ship and loot (how is this coward like tethering?), and everybody can wait for you at the exit (hello lowsec, nullsec bubble up). For me this is just a new minigame.

Based on what I understood and read in the press announcement.

Fly a nullified T3C and have your corp/fleet buddies waiting on you at the exit along with cyno inhibitor, etc…

People will like flying T3Cs into a pocket where the RNG decides whether you live or die. :wink:

Get tackled…use filament…jump safe?

I would resub every single account I ever made for a year just to watch the salt fountain! :rofl:

Edit: I forgot most important part of new dungeon… Cruiser only. I am dumdum

Sounds interesting, but you just buy time with a chance of being destroyed by NPC/environment.

I was being a dumb. Was thinking about how to break cap play.

But still, it might be useful for baiting and/or stalling until your friends/alts can get on grid.

We will know site specific s before we use the filaments (so can plan tanks)

Presumably one cannot safe-log from inside…

Frankly, if that’s it… Arith was exaggerating big time. It’s just PvE and players can be ganked when they leave the pocket or are kicked from it.

Looks like a twist on ghost sites, and probably the highsec rewards will be crap. So much ado about nothing.

No, I am pretty sure the alarm was real. It seems likely to me that the original version of this feature lacked the beacon feature and was just use a magical token to teleport to a private instance to play the mini-game, before being returned to normal space. 100% safe and instanced PvE. It is conjecture, but if I am right I applaud the CSM for managing to help CCP find a way to ground the feature in the shared Eve universe.

As Jin’taan confirmed on Reddit, that this was it, Aryth wanted to warn about … this sounds like close to the truth.

Though I’m curious if the CSM also managed to get Goons all the cake again (= best rewards in nullsec). Because what is crystal clear now, that those sites are safest in sov nullsec (and highsec). If CCP would not be biased towards the cartels, they would make lowsec the best rewards …

1 Like

Yes, they did. Pretty much.

The presentation I just watched left me with the impression that the sites aren’t tied to “normal” space at all and are just linking the to the power level of the shard or whatever opens the deadspace. The tiering of these sites is directed only by the keys to open them, not where you use them. I guess using the higher tiered keys could also be restricted by space, but Burger made no mention of that.

We’ll need confirmation, but I’ll bet they won’t be locked to any tier of space. CCP will want highsec carebears not to be locked out of their latest showcase PvE.

If this is the case, everybody will start them from highsec with zero PvP risk… and this makes the whole beacon thing pointless. I can’t believe they break the risk/reward that drastically.

Yeah, I might be wrong. On reflection there was a mention of CONCORD regulating them so probably the higher tier ones won’t be usable in highsec. So then yes, the Goons will be the most advantaged by that restriction and able to farm the top level pockets with impunity.

No offense… but if you dont like being left out of SOV space Nullsec loot… you have options.
Join an alliance that has SOV big enough to be “safe” in Nullsec.
OR
Work towards taking over a large enough section of Nullsec and become the next power house alliance.

Everyone wants to complain about the Goonswarm, or TEST, or Pandemic, but no one wants to actually step up and do anything. They just want to sit in their safe space areas and point fingers and cry.

The ■■■■? The entire game went to war with goons.