Space rich vs. space poor

You’re absolutely right. Eve is very different than any other MMO and requires the right attitude. Look at how CCP themselves describe the game and the “golden rules” they promote and re-post.

I wish more people played the game so we could have more people to explode, but not at the expense of what makes the game unique. I would rather see the game slowly die that turned into some same piece of :poop:that most other MMOs are.

See, the thing is, even if EVE changes to become something it’s not, it dies anyway. It’d be like if Ferrari stopped making supercars and started making minivans instead. Would they be Ferrari anymore? In all but name, no, they wouldn’t. Same with EVE. I too would rather see it succeed or fail on its own merits than become something it was never intended to be. At least if it died off, I could retain my faith in CCP’s integrity to the project, and feel safe in giving them my money for any new ones they might develop in the future.

1 Like

LOL

People with the wrong attitude for EVE shouldn’t be playing EVE. I’m only doing what’s best for both the game, and the person with the bad attitude. I don’t really give one seventeenth of a fig what you think of me for that. Who even are you that I should?

I just find it funny you say you don’t care however you took the time to post to say you don’t care. In EVE parlance that make you care bear scum and a salty squidrian (the second one I made up).

You oblivious care so much you posted twice about helping cull the game of looser cry babies that might mess with it’s sacred community tenets of harass newbies until they quit. Then later ■■■■■ about how EVE is great except for dwindling player base.

SWEET Keep it up your doing gods work.

1 Like

You seem confused. I do care about EVE and its core principles, and CCP staying true to those principles. I care enough about EVE remaining true to its own merits that I will run people out of the game if they fail to respect this game’s core nature.

I don’t care what random scrubs like yourself think of me as a person for that, especially when you don’t know anything about me. If you think I do, in any way, you are deluding only yourself.

What does your faith in CCP project count for? Who cares about you and your perception of Integrity? Sure being a self appointed hall monitor to find out if someone has the “right” attitude seems like a fun way to spend your sandbox time.

I think you care what random scrubs like I think. I bet you cannot stop yourself from being bated by this post. I already proved you care what scrubs think. You proved it by responding to my post.

I’m dropping the microphone now.

1 Like

Responding to your self-inflated opinion of your own importance in the grand scheme of things in no way indicates I care to anyone that matters. I only respond for the purpose of trying to help you understand that no matter what you do, no matter what you think of me, I will continue to drive people who don’t belong out of this game, and help grow the player base with people who DO belong. You can call me all the names under the sun for it. All you end up doing is reinforcing my understanding that I’m doing the right thing for EVE.

My faith in CCP has given me five good years in EVE Online, where I’ve made a lot of good friends with people who’ve earned my respect. Which means I actually do care whether they respect me or not. If you don’t have the right attitude for EVE, you will simply never be important enough for me to care what you think. You can delude yourself all you like into whatever you want to believe, it won’t change the fact that you just don’t matter to people who do.

At the end of the day, you’re responding to me too. Do you care what I think? By your logic, yes. So maybe you should take heed.

Your right I cannot compete with a sweet soap box speech like that.

I’m self aggrandizing my own ego and once again your doing gods work.

How do you have the courage to stand up to ass-hats on the forums like myself? Then turn around and donate your time to disparaging new players from picking up the game?

1 Like

Condescending sarcasms won’t solve anything either. Grow up.

1 Like

word but at times more fun then playing the game proper.

2 Likes

One more thing.

I donate much more of my time to helping new players grow. In just the last week, I’ve spent more than half a bil on ships for new players. That’s more than I’ve spent on my own ships in the same period. I am helping one learn more advanced PVP in a more one-on-one training style, barely out of alpha but I encouraged him to subscribe, and the number of PVP’ers out there right now I’ve helped get a foot up in the game over the last few years, I’ve lost count. Some of them are better than me at it now.

What have you done for them lately?

The number of new players who spit the dummy are actually very few. Most of them that I come across are quite keen to learn. It’s older players, a year or more, who’ve spent most of their time in highsec mining or shooting rats, who come into lowsec and get blapped and then throw a tantrum about it, frothing at the mouth while expatiating venomous in-game mails at me, who I can’t abide.

If you want to sit there and have a go at me for trying to drive that kind of player out of the game, by all means, take their side. That’s your prerogative. But don’t think for one second it’s going to affect me any more than their salt does. I even enjoy it sometimes.

1 Like

Eve has come a long way. My first death in EVE was after a random guy ran 5 mission with me in fleet. Then he did the old “here are some items I want to give you in a secured can”. I was killed by concord and that guy thought it was so funny.

To this day I do think it was funny but granted not right away and not for the same reason. I think it’s funny you could have such consternation in a game that you can actually see people have this Smeagle ring of power moment. He wanted to help me and be cool but what he wanted even more was that sweet salty talk to add to his biography. EVE is no ones it isn’t yours it’s not mine it’s ours and it will always be ours. So if you feel the need to create some EVE religion with dogma that’s cool but EVE doesn’t NEED anything but people to populate it. The only question is what kind of person are you going to be?

I defend new players from salty vets in the forums and try to clean up this terrible reputation it has. I recruit players and I educate people about the game.

2 Likes

I think you’re missing my point on purpose now for the sake of nothing more than to delegitimise me as a player. The kind of person I’m going to be is the kind of person I’ve always been, myself. I don’t need to pretend to be someone I’m not to enjoy my EVE experience, and if you’re going to sit there and make me out to be some salt-seeker like that first player you encountered as a newb, then you’re way off the rails, mate. I don’t seek salt. I just take advantage of it when salt is what is offered. If people are going to get mad over pixels in a video game, who am I to deny them?

Your mistake is thinking that EVE just needs more players. EVE needs more players, sure, but it needs the right kind of players. If EVE changed to accommodate growth for its own sake, it wouldn’t be EVE anymore. It would be something else. EVE would still be a dead game as a result. The real EVE, that is. It rises or falls on its merits, because it’s only other option is to fall anyway.

You’re space rich when you no longer have to care about any of your expenses and don’t even blink at the thought of whelping tens of billions just for the fun of it.

Like I do.

1 Like

Well I might be attacking you as a player I am not sure. I was trying to attack you as a persona on a game. If want you (not you specifically) to collect salt that is what EVE means to you. I am just saying EVE lets people do what all great games do EVE lets you explore yourself. Sometimes that is scary and people would not like to know about themselves. EVE is full of salt harvesters and care bears. The distinction that everyone seems to miss is that they aren’t two groups of people. Just like real life EVE players are not only salt miners nor only care bares they are on a spectrum of salt miner to care bear. So with that if your ashamed of your player-ship choices change it. In your case you seem like your having a good time so keep playing your version of EVE don’t let me influence your good time.

1 Like

Because I was space poor and miner ganking usually costs you more than it yields, I started to produce all my ganking equipment in bulk on my own with a starter investment I received form a miner which repeatedly fell for a killright scam. This allowed me to gank and have a slightly positive net outcome given the occasional drop of some faction gear.

One of those things I produced was the rigs for the Catalysts and they require a couple of salvage parts of which at least one was extremely cheap, in the ~500 ISK range. So because I was lazy I just purchased a quarter million of that stuff to take that part out of the equation because that supply would last forever.

Turns out that part is now 300k ISK, sold that stack again and now I’m space rich.

Not sure if it was because I’m lazy, my faith in the Code (it was gank equipment after all) or just karma because of all the good deeds. Probably all of them. :grin:

3 Likes

I think space rich and space poor are also dependant upon what activities you do and what risks you take.

For example, I was in Red vs Blue often. My first time in, I was space poor. Each lose hurt and sent me off to mission/make isk. During my longest stint in RvB, I had Indy alts and a steady income. I cared far less about losing cheap ships. I was still not space rich but was no longer poor. Eventually I was able to fund my own events in RvB such as protecting an orca or a couple thousand ship free for all where I provided the ships. At that point, I could be considered space rich enough. I had disposable income not only to cover my own ships, but could generate content on a large scale for my friends and my group.

In terms for a miner or mission runner, space poor is struggling to afford your next hull upgrade and living with the fear that one rough patch would set you back two or three hull classes. Space middle class is being in a battleship for missions or t2 miner and having a fallback that’s comparable. Space rich is being able to afford taking your friends on a mining or mission/exploration run to low/nul/wh and providing the ships for everyone so there is no risk to them.

Another way to look at it… Space poor is struggling to pay for your implants and praying you don’t lose your +2s. Space middle class is having a clone with at least 2 +5 implants and a back up of +3s in case. Space rich is flying around with high grade slaves, having 2 +5 training jump clones, and throwing in +3s when doing a solo nul run because why not, they are just cheap +3s.

1 Like

This might be already mentioned, but if you are having loads of fun you are space-rich and if you your EVE experience resembles a chore, you are space-poor. Regardless of your in-game net worth.

At least this is how I see it.

3 Likes

2 hours of space-boredom followed by 5 minutes of space fun.

Is Gadget space rich or poor?

– Financially Confused Gadget

1 Like

Does Helm’s daughter think the two hours of boredom are worth the five minutes of space fun?

1 Like

Depends on who’s on comms. :grinning:

–Gadget’s guide to riches - Cheap Wine

1 Like