SPOILER - Game of Thrones season 8 dumbest battle ever

Hodor

3 Likes

6 Likes

“Self-indulgent”-- that’s the perfect way to describe that guy’s writing. I tried to read the first one years ago, and got upset that I… returned it to the library. Because of that I avoided watching the TV series until late last year. Then I binge watched it. For once, the movie/show is better than the book, IMO.

S8E3 was SO disappointing.

If all it takes to kill a white walker / wight was a poke with obsidian, why not just train a massive army of slingers to hurl chunks of obsidian at them. It’ll be very cost-effective and negates the need to forge obsidian blades. Why not use the catapults to shower the undead with obsidian pebbles and inflict mass casualties? Alot of the wights are shoeless, so you can even lay obsidian tiles that’ll destroy them as soon as they set foot in Winterfell?

D&D = DUMB & DUMBER…

1 Like

When you want people to shoot arrows or bolts, you didn’t say “Fire!” Fire is about putting flame or spark to gunpowder. If you said anything, it might have been “Loose arrows/bolts!” or the local equivalent. But you probably wouldn’t say such a thing either, because launching arrows/archery is requires such human skill that you wouldn’t want to bother those archers’ shots that much.

Certainly, anyone who has drawn a bow wouldn’t want them a lot of archers doing a “Nock… Draw… Fire!” routine. Anyone who has drawn a bow knows that the bow is designed to be at least as strong as the human muscles that have to draw its string rather unnaturally across the chest. It’s somewhat like a golf swing, but at least you can have your head up and point your eyes toward the target.

1 Like

I think the producers should have extended the battle to run through a couple of episodes. That encounter had been looming in the background for quite a few seasons and to have the entire encounter be done in one episode is definitely a rip-off.

I’m thinking since the show has been running for quite a few seasons, over time the actors in it have all gotten pay raises which in turn cut down on the amount of funds available for special graphics effects. That might explain why the entire battle was done in one episode.

I think I’m the only one not watching this show. I own them up to season 4 I think on bluray

2 Likes

I’m not, I only saw part of it with the dragon.

2 Likes

Cool, now we see that the Lannisters don’t know how to use city walls for defense, the same way the Starks don’t know how to use castles. Consistency is always good for immersion in a fantasy world setting.

1 Like

But, in their defense, they did get the slaughter of the city part right. Sad to say. :frowning: History of what humans do in war is many times grim. Also the two-episodes treatment of a major character’s thought-processes breakdown was well-done, I thought.

I suppose movie-making directors, production peoples, and actors encounter that sort of thing much more often than they do concepts about ancient or medieval warfare. I know I did, at a younger and hornier/randier age. :slight_smile: It was all, “Who are you today?” But that’s neither here nor there.
-Kh.D, GOT fanboi

Daenerys just did an Anakin and went full darkside on us.

The guys running GoT landed a Star Wars job, or three; coincidence? I think not :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I thought it was a great episode and i have watched the whole of series…

1 Like

Hopefully they’ll make a better Star Wars trilogy, although it’s hard not to, I mean it can’t get any worse, can it?

1 Like

Now that we’ve seen how it ends, might as well change the title to “dumbest season ever”.

2 Likes

Seven seasons of accumulating awesomeness went down the drain…

2 Likes

Yeah, I wasn’t expecting it to end with a PTA* meeting to choose a new Chairperson of the Six Committees.

*Parent-Teacher Association

(I repeated a fairly cynical theory about the GOT’s writers’/producers’ motivations. Bah, no need for negative crap).

My apologies, Game of Thrones writers. That was good after all

4 Likes