Lately I’ve been playing a lot of Squad (A MilSim game currently in Alpha development). I think the biggest draw to that game is the hardcore tactics combined with player driven content/communication. It forces random people to interact in local, squad and squad lead voice comms and the community loves it. And while the major objectives are there, it has a sandbox-like teamwork approach to winning (Where you place FOB’s, who’s job is it to do what and what tactics you employ is completely up to you and your team).
It then dawned on me… what if Eve Online PvP or even just FW (Probably makes more sense for FW) was more like this? It has many of the elements already. What would that look like?
- Battling over a system becomes more of a theater of war presented as such.
- More ingame structured VOIP in ops (on grid > armada > lead comms)
- Temporary structures/FOB’s to aid in the war effort.
- An express clone/ship bay
- An armaments bay (quickly get ammo for doctrine)
- Gun placements etc…
- Resource/mineral logistics for the above temp structures to enable pilots to quickly spawn in, fit a doctrine and go (IMO FW was always meant as a PvP introductory), and some poor sod has to risk the trip from Empire to FOB with the haul or something.
- Empire ships can’t leave theater.
I think in a way Eve has most of these elements already, just in a very drawn-out fashion requiring immense effort to coordinate.
Meh… anyway was just a fun thought. Probably wouldn’t work or would entail some game breaking mechanic