Standings, another option

The current standings system is outdated, grind‑heavy, and largely disconnected from modern EVE gameplay, so I’m proposing a new ISK sink that lets players directly exchange ISK for standings. This would streamline access to agents, LP stores, and faction content while removing currency from the economy in a healthy, controlled way. It also mirrors real‑world political dynamics where influence can be “bought,” making it thematically consistent with EVE’s famously cynical universe. The goal isn’t to trivialize progression, but to modernize a legacy system, reduce unnecessary friction, and create a meaningful new ISK sink that supports long‑term economic stability. It’s good science fiction that reflects the reality of modern geopolitics.

1 Like

You can exhange isk for standings now. Call United Standings Improvement Agency

4 Likes

Or you can try the Data Centers agents. They accept tags (which you buy with ISK on the market).

Not a “ISK sink” per say, since a player benefit from you ISK on the market, but it’s fast. Multiple videos explain how to do that.

3 Likes

@Suki_Vokkonen I’m all for more content lol. I admit, i have not run these missions :wink: I do worry that we need additional isk-sinks for the overall health of the game.

You can send me any extra isk you have

2 Likes

What I find utterly daft is that one can destroy someone’s 10bn ISK ship and lose no standing…but destroy their 10K ISK pod and you get the ’ you have lost standing with XYZ faction’ message. Its actually quite easy to ‘accidentally’ destroy the pod if there’s multiple people targeting a ship and you don’t get a lock until the ship is almost destroyed. You can then end up firing after the ship is destroyed…and hit the pod.

That doesn’t happen often, and with pods themselves you can easily see if the char is in a faction as no corp will be listed above their name in overview. But there is a steady trickle of security loss with factions, and one then has to go off and do some mission to regain status…which detracts from one’s main occupation of suspect hunting.

I’d quite happily just pay a fine, like with clone tags. I don’t like this system that forces one to do PvE because one has done PvP.

2 Likes

Looks like an AI slop post. Its all talk and nothing to show.

It seems to me they just suggested to replace the term “LP” with “ISK” and called it a proposal. If the two terms are interchangeable, then your entire idea is now null and void.
Additionally, we already have an exchange system in the form of player LP brokers. Im a fan of this so far because they are so easy to work with.

1 Like

@Mina_Tsunami If by “they” you mean me, I’m not sure about AI slop. I was more thinking of isk sinks after listening to Oz (and the MER people) discuss 1. Excess isk in the game 2. What are some alternative isk sinks and solutions to a problem shared by many - terrible standings and a reasonable, reality based way to improve them. It’s just business.

There are already several avenues that players can use to improve standings as stated above. What we don’t need is another quick way for players to dodge the consequences of their bad actions. Isn’t that one of the so-called “pillars” of Eve; that actions should have meaningful consequences? That’s what I see often on these forums and in FC ads, anyway.

Secondly, it seems to me that these player suggestions for ISK sinks never get at the main problem which, IMO, are the trillions hoarded in nullsec player wallets. These proposals always want to make it tougher on the average player to make ISK, especially in high sec, without doing anything to get at the stagnant trillions sitting in null players wallets.

3 Likes

Fully support meaningful consequences. I also support the reality that relationships change and isk (money) has tremendous leverage in changing loyalties. That’s meaningful because it is more reflective of human governance. Paying tremendous amounts of isk to buy standings? 100% support. It’s not friendship. It’s standings.

1 Like

You didn’t address how your proposal handles my second, and much larger, point. The multi-trillions of ISK, minerals, etc being hoarded by null players/alliances/coalitions.

2 Likes

They are probably from. Null and want less isk in hisec

1 Like

@Anabella_Rella Do you have a suggestion? Because I fully appreciate your point. The Pareto principle is a b***.

@Mina_Tsunami Thanks. This is a much more fullsome discussion. To your points:

  • “Outdated”. Here I’m talking about how political systems change and what is realistic. Politics and relations between nations have absolutely changed between when the game was released and now. So how do we situate that in Eve now? I’m guessing empires appreciated good deeds 20 years ago but they appreciate money more…even when coming from a party who may have harmed them earlier or acted against their interests. Harsh, realistic, business. I appreciate that this does not resonate with some. But my specific goal here is to highlight that standings as a game concept are stale.
  • “Grind Heavy”. Here I’m specifically referring to 16 missions to get a storyline mission or repetition of SOE Epic Arcs or the other arcs if your standings allow. The tag turn in/data centre thing is a one shot deal so you can’t mess it up and COSMOS is no longer supported (though not sure if this affects standings in any way)
  • “Disconnected”. Players (new and veteran/returning) want to experience content and when you find yourself unable to even attempt all Epic Arcs because your standings prevent it you begin to wonder about the logic. Old Eve: too bad, should have thought about it. New Eve: let’s be honest, CCP/FC went out of their way to ensure that standings could be quickly mitigated to allow players to be Guristas or Angel militias - which is tremendously cool btw.

That’s the 3 items you wanted me to articulate more fully.

As for LP agents, padding their pockets (maybe a bribe mechanic based on a skillset?) to get access to a mission seems reasonable when I lack the standings. Especially the Amarrians - God is good but cash is King. Hence a Deaconry.

That’s all I have for now. I’m sure there is a tsunami of reasons why none of this will work but ultimately I was looking for quick and dirty solution along the lines of “The little things” - easy to program and introduce in the game.

1 Like

Your proposal would destroy an established economy of standings corporations who can do exactly what you want. It destroys emergent gameplay and player efforts in favor of what? Direct to isk sink payments? How would u propose to balance such a payment and how would u compensate entire industries that have developed around what you have proposed?

Just pay the standings corps to do their jobs and be done with it… I mean if you have so much isk to throw at the “problem”. :roll_eyes:

Now that being said Id love more avenues to change and challenge standings as I have posted about with other capsuleers in other threads. But directly ability to pay to get, change or manipulate standings isnt one of them beyond what we have here. Id prefer a more fun way of engaging with the gameplay. Something like running black market missions or engaging in backdoor engaging gameplay that would change standings with certain corps/factions that are maybe a dice roll as to whether it works, it successfully applies and has a chance of failure and blowing up in someones face. Ie it works super well or chaos reigns. Anything but “buying” standings.

4 Likes

Nope sure don’t but I also didn’t start this thread. :wink:

My contention is that all too often these kinds of proposals place a disproportionate burden on high sec players by asking for more nerfs, errm I mean ISK sinks, or other painful hoops to jump through in the name of making the game “healthy”. I just wonder how it’s fair to do game balancing by asking one group of players to bear the brunt of the pain when those players aren’t the problem?

1 Like

@Anabella_Rella spittin fax lol.

@Kuroda_Toshio Thanks for clarifying in more detail. You know much more about the PvE side than I do.

explain?

the pirate arcs and the standings they give were already in game wayyyy before they ever thought of putting insurgencies in game… now did they shorten the length of the cool down and give extra standings for a hot minute? sure, i wouldn’t call that going out of their way, but they also eventually raised the bar to join the FW from -2 to 0.00 like the other empires so i wouldn’t call that going out of their way as well. but it did make for a good bit of isk for the standings corp that @Eternus8lux8lucis mentioned.

@Kuroda_Toshio What is your viewpoint on LP brokers in the game currently?

Any experienced players view is appreciated.

@Geo_Eclipse_Oksaras Ok. Lets walk back ‘went out of their way’ to ‘took measures to allow participation’. FC, smartly, was alive to the fact that standings were a barrier to some who wanted to engage with that content.

@Eternus8lux8lucis I love the idea of black market running to correct standings. Top shelf. We ask alot of FC to implement our suggestions though. Standings reform to enable players to engage with content available in the game could either be a quick (maybe) win or the status quo.

@AristaBarret I have no idea what an LP broker is, where to find or how to engage. Could you explain please?