Tell me why structure explosions are harmless

What is the reason drones and ships do not get explosion damage when in proximity to destroyed structures?

Why would developers hesitate to implement such a feature?

Freespace 2 had it.

From 1999 …

3 Likes

Maybe because the damage done to a pixelated ship from an explosion in space has too many variables to compute and stay within the end-user’s pc limit.

1 Like

Sake of simplicity for the game and probably for the devs. Imagine a huge NS keepstar battle? That explosion has to damage every little thing. Every ship/pod/drone across x100-1000+ people’s clients. It gets out of control at some point. Why stop at structures then? Why make capital explosions hurt? A titan exploding is a big thing.

2 Likes

You’ll need to ask the Null alliance leaders. They call the shots when it comes to game mechanics.

Mr Epeen :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Just like when all the null leaders said “quintuple capital production price and remove trit from null immediately!” and lo, it was done.

To answer to posted question,

Structures are built with a special and exotic material called “handwavium” that renders their explosion harmless, but pleasing to the eye.

I’m glad I was able to clear that up for you.

6 Likes

I don’t see how structure explosion damage couldn’t be implemented when upwell point defense exists in a similar fashion.

1 Like

One could make the same point about damage from a self-destruct on a ship. A classic staple of various space movies, and occurs several times in Star Trek, yet you can self destruct your ship in Eve and it has zero effect on anything else.

Self-destruct could be a valuable weapon in self defence…just like in the movies. It would affect short range attacks especially…but then why not ?

1 Like

No, it would be really quite simple…as the only variables are size of a single point of explosion and distance from it. Nothing like as complex as Universe Sandbox calculating the gravitational forces between 50 moving bodies in real time…that’s to say for each body it has to calculate all the others…which it can cope with.

Pretty simple. Splash damage is already in the code.

It got disabled because the computers at the time couldn’t keep up. Those days are over.

3 Likes

Ship explosions would definitely make suicide ganking much more interesting.

5 Likes

Ah, the bad old days before a simple home PC could simulate two galaxies colliding…

https://scienceworksmuseum.org/galaxy-collision-simulator/

1 Like

Tell that to a guy in a frigate hacking a data site that goes kaboom.

1 Like

Go rescue the damsel :stuck_out_tongue: . Ships/drones take damage

1 Like

Yes I noticed that on one of the missions. My Algos ( which was a bit further away ) survived the explosion but all 4 of my drones were wiped out.

1 Like

There used to be many types of AoE damage in game. They have been steadily removed because they cause massive server load when you apply them with 1000+ on grid.

• Mines
  • Titan DD
  • Super / Titan destruction

Are the ones I can remember off hand.

2 Likes

I still have my Python and Anaconda BPOs.

Edit: Just installed them to see if they still work. In five hours I’ll have 100 each!

4 Likes

Freespace 2 was a masterpiece the gaming world has not seen the likes of since and is 1 of the greatest unrealized franchises of gaming history. A tragedy never built upon

2 Likes

Space is a vacuum so explosions are localized. To the location they occured. Thats why lasers r the only proper space weapons like in star wars or star trek eve is non canonical and its emmersion breaking.