Tengu for NullSec PVE

I just resubbed to the game after being gone for about three years. My previous “career” was null-sec exploration using two accounts, a Buzzard for probing, hacking, etc and a Tengu for all of the PvE combat. It looks like Strategic Cruisers have been changed in my absence though and my old Tengu fit is no longer viable. I’m working on learning how Tengus work nowadays but in the meantime I’m looking for suggestions. A few things to consider:

-I don’t need a probe launcher, my alt in the Buzzard has that.

-I’m poking around in null-sec on my own so I need to be able to cloak my ship. In the past I would just put a Prototype Cloaking Device 1 on the Tengu. If anyone unfriendly showed up I would use that until they left the system.

-It looks like in the past I was in regions of space with Gurista rats. My old ship from a few years ago was setup to both deal and resist mainly kinetic damage.

Hi

One thing to consider is using filment to get about various regions of null space. Also mobile Depot is a thing so you can refit your ship on the go. Filemnts are a new mechanic where its an item (cheap ones are like 1 mil and you can find them in a data site) and it will teleport your fleet into another part of null sec. There are two types which will woosh you to either busy nullsec or quiet nullsec - depending on type used. Its not an exact science so you might get dropped in not so quiet bit of null… Quite interesting for exploring or getting out of tight spots.

You want the sub system that lets you ignore bubbles/stabs and cloack/mwd for travel if you are jumping around null. And then refit to specific tank for the rats at hand.

Argive hit the nail on the head, I’d recommend fury heavy assault missiles with faction missiles for smaller frogs and dessises, I used to run a target painter or Web but after the debuff to shield mods cut it for another adaptive

eeeesh that bad huh ?

Ive been dicking around in a startios and after the changes im holding out on doing explo/pve in a loki.

Re: filaments, thanks for mentioning that. Those didn’t exist at all the last time I was in the game.

Re: bubbles/stabs, in the past I’ve used my alt’s covert ops ship to scout jump points and avoid gate camps.

It’s not a tengu, but it’s close enough.

[Loki, Loki missile armor]

Caldari Navy Ballistic Control System
Dark Blood Medium Armor Repairer

Federation Navy Stasis Webifier
Federation Navy Stasis Webifier
Republic Fleet Target Painter
10MN Afterburner II
Republic Fleet Large Cap Battery

Heavy Missile Launcher II, Mjolnir Fury Heavy Missile
Covert Ops Cloaking Device II
Salvager I
Small Tractor Beam II

Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump II
Medium Anti-Thermal Pump II
Medium Anti-Thermal Pump II

Loki Core - Immobility Drivers
Loki Defensive - Covert Reconfiguration
Loki Offensive - Launcher Efficiency Configuration
Loki Propulsion - Intercalated Nanofibers

Infiltrator II x4

I run this with my alt in a legion, clearing anomalies. I can handle all the way up to Sanctums without any trouble, and I’m willing to bet I could do them with just the one ship if I had to.

Some things that have changed you’ll want to be aware of:

T3s only need 4 subsystems now, and there are 3 options each. The one I posted has a covert ops cloak, and also comes with scanning bonuses. I know you said you have an alt, but keep reading.

Head into the market, go to Structures => Deployable Structures => Mobile Depot

A mobile depot is an item you can drop in space, wait 60 seconds for it to online, and then use to refit your ship on the fly. Useful for anyone, but a miracle for T3s. You can swap subsystems in space using this system, and all T3s have a dedicated Subsystem bay for exactly this purpose.

T3s can now also swap rigs without destroying them. I use a interdiction nullifier with i-stabs and hyper rigs for traveling. As long as you’re paying attention, you’re basically immune to gatecamps.

With all this, you don’t even need to bring your alt along if you don’t want to multibox. The T3 with a mobile depot can do everything.

And to head off the inevitable, I know HAMs are better than heavies, but I don’t have the skills yet.

The mobile depot option is definitely intriguing. Looks like I’ll have to train Minmatar strategic cruiser skills though.

Can your proposed build probe down every signature that’s out there? From what I recall some of the most challenging sigs could only be scanned down with a covert ups ship built for probing.

[Tengu, Tengu fit]

Pith X-Type Kinetic Deflection Field
Pith X-Type Kinetic Deflection Field
Federation Navy 10MN Afterburner
Pithum A-Type Medium Shield Booster
Pith X-Type Shield Boost Amplifier
Missile Guidance Computer II, Missile Precision Script
Missile Guidance Computer II, Missile Precision Script

Heavy Assault Missile Launcher II, Scourge Rage Heavy Assault Missile
Covert Ops Cloaking Device II

Medium Rocket Fuel Cache Partition II
Medium Anti-Kinetic Screen Reinforcer II
Medium Anti-Thermal Screen Reinforcer II

Tengu Core - Augmented Graviton Reactor
Tengu Defensive - Amplification Node
Tengu Offensive - Accelerated Ejection Bay
Tengu Propulsion - Fuel Catalyst

Scourge Javelin Heavy Assault Missile x4000
Scourge Rage Heavy Assault Missile x4000
Caldari Navy Scourge Heavy Assault Missile x2000
Missile Range Script x2

This is the fit I used before this patch hit for running up to 10/10’s in Guristas space. Just carry a scanning refit in your cargo and subsystem bay, a medium freight cargo container (for refit and ammo) and a mobile depot. If someone enters your system and or is on D-Scan while running your site, warp to your Mobile Depot, switch out the Amplification Node for a Covert Reconfiguration and just online the Covert Ops Cloaking Device and peace out. Also, remember to carry a Sisters Probe Launcher and Inertia Stabs and scanning rigs for your scanning refit.

It might be obvious to players who have been around awhile, but one extra step before you peace out is “scoop mobile depot”. Mobile depots can be scanned down so keeping one in space can be dangerous

[Tengu,C1C4D4 LvL4]
Ballistic Control System II
Missile Guidance Enhancer II

10MN Afterburner II
Domination Large Shield Booster
Domination Adaptive Invulnerability Field
Shield Boost Amplifier II
Caldari Navy Large Shield Extender
Caldari Navy Large Shield Extender
Republic Fleet Large Cap Battery

Auto Targeting System I
Heavy Missile Launcher II

Medium Ancillary Current Router II
Medium Ancillary Current Router II
Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer II

Tengu Defensive - Amplification Node
Tengu Offensive - Accelerated Ejection Bay
Tengu Propulsion - Fuel Catalyst
Tengu Core - Augmented Graviton Reactor

Auto Targeting System I x2
Explosive Deflection Field II
Kinetic Deflection Field II
EM Ward Field II
Thermal Dissipation Field II
Scourge Fury Heavy Missile x2000
Mjolnir Fury Heavy Missile x2000
Inferno Fury Heavy Missile x2000
Scourge Precision Heavy Missile x2000
Inferno Precision Heavy Missile x2000
Mjolnir Precision Heavy Missile x2000
Sisters Combat Scanner Probe x8
Sisters Core Scanner Probe x16

Probe Launcher and Cloak Etc etc

You shouldn’t try to scoop your mobile depot. You should rather warp off. In my experience you won’t have the time if they are on the ball, because they will have scanned down the spot of your Mobile Depot anyway and that precious second can cost you dearly.

Well it always depends. My main reason for the reply is to make sure anyone coming back from being away a long time realized they are able to be scanned down. Given that secure containers are not, people unfamiliar may wrongly assume that depots also couldn’t be scanned down.

The skill bonus on the covert subsystem is the same as on a covert ops frigate. They both give 10% probe strength per level, and +10 virus strength to analyzer modules. The only benefit to a cov ops is the scan time reduction.

And remember, you can swap rigs on a T3. So you can use Gravity Capacitor rigs to scan, then switch to something else for combat.

Also, you can accomplish effectively the same stats with a Tengu as with the Loki. I just happen to fly a Loki, so that’s the fitting I have saved.

Wow Great thread guys. Im dipping my toes into using T3C/Startios for exploration & exploration combat so the fit recommendations are exactly what I needed and im learning some cool stuff.

Does anyone know if you can tank a stratios/Loki to take the damage from ghost sites now? Would plates and max explosive resist rigs be enough ? & I assume there is no way of surviving the mien-field explosion in the superior sleeper cache ?

Wouldn’t recommend the last room in the superior Sleeper Cache honestly, you’ll just get blown up if you’re not careful enough and have a somewhat blinged Tengu at least.

As for Ghost Sites, I dunno. I’d still do them in a Frigate at the most to minimize the losses should the NPC’s arrive early.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.