The beaten dead horse. bounty hunting :(

the bounty hunting mechanics, so far, seem to be for gankers. it’s not really a regular income, but the on and off ship or pod with bounty and implants is always nice to shoot.

Btw, you should edit your post, because there’s a part that’s seriously inappropriate. you don’t sound like a man at all, tbh, and kind of validate what i said about you in that other thread. next you tell me you also care about honour, like all the “real PvPers”. :roll_eyes:

I should like to please you, yellow beard, but i fear you are not my type.

I did like what you said about the OP lacking cold, hard, structured, linear logic.

Ever since Grandma got caught with the guy from the government, I have followed her advice and sought my logic hot, soft, chaotic and logarithmic.

You know what I am talking about, yellowpuffs.

Rwoar.:star_struck:

Chance Ravinne’s thought was to raise the minimum bounty value, it would work for those times when you want to see someone killed vs a ganker loading up every freighter alt. not only that his system would make it a frigate’s chance in a null fleet fight that a ganker gets said freighter alt. sure, that means you are ruining someone’s day, somewhere, sometime. maybe i can make the bold assumption that gankers may turn to bounty hunting, since it would be the workaround of crimewatch, but again, marking targets have to be made expensive for it to not be dev sponsored null security.

1 Like

I have thought about this for some time. Bounties are treated as a joke in EvE. One need only look at the in-game help chat to see that. People will place needless bounties on others just to “make them feel wanted” as one player is known to do. The system needs to be reworked to do away with these frivolous bounties. Here is my suggestion:

1. Bounties should remain 3-tier.

Tier 1 is a bounty on an individual.
Tier 2 is a bounty on a corporation.
Tier 3 is a bounty on an alliance.

1. Bounties should serve a purpose. To this end, it should be required that a verifiable in-game action has happened to warrant a bounty. This will put an end to people placing a bounty on somebody just for the sake of placing a bounty. Suggested reasons for a bounty:

A) Destruction/Theft of Property. This would apply to a bounty against an individual. This could range from being killed in PvP to somebody looting another player’s NPC kill.

B) Act of Aggression. This can apply to either an individual or a corporation. In this instance, if a group of players attack an individual who is flying solo, and the individual flying solo is killed, there would be grounds to file a bounty against the group who attacked, and their respective corporation. This is not applicable to players who members of corporations that permit friendly fire, unless attacked from outside their respective corporation.

C) Act of Terrorism. EvE is a dangerous place. There are alliances that act just like terrorist organizations. If a corporation is operating a citadel and is attacked by multiple corporations from a specific alliance, and the citadel is destroyed, the corporation that owned the citadel would have grounds to file for a bounty against the alliance and the corporations within the alliance.

In all cases, bounties may only be generated for instances in which kill report has been generated, or a suspect timer has happened. If something to this effect can be implemented, it would make the bounty system worthwhile, especially if the minimums were increased to 1M, 10M, and 100M respectively. Additionally, a 24 hour waiting period would be applied for verification of reason for the bounty, which does create the need for an additional mechanic, an NPC bounty corporation that players may directly join. Players joining said NPC bounty corporation may only engage in PvP against players with a bounty, and would be required to review each bounty before engaging. Yes, it does mean more work, especially for the players, but it could add additional content with players who would be working specifically as bounty hunters (under Concord), and it would (hopefully) put an end to frivolous bounties.

I will not say my idea is perfect. Far from it. However, between what I suggest, and some of the other ideas I have read, perhaps there is something that can be put together to take a broken and otherwise laughed at mechanic, and give a real meaning/purpose. It would be interesting to see bounties serving a purpose.

Note: An unfortunate side effect of my suggestion is that all current bounties would, by necessity, need to be cleared, as too many are currently in place by the willy-nilly placing of random pointless bounties on people just to place bounties, the thing that this thread is desiring to see an end to.

The game does not understand all the ways in which a player can slight another. Just going by kill rights is too restrictive. Kill rights are for kill rights. Where as you may want to put a bounty on someone who has stolen from you, or smacked in local, as a ‘hired hit’ or just because their hair looks funny (player freedom just like decs).

The current system will probably be as good as it gets. With immortality and alts you’re not gonna get anything glamarous.

1 Like

Perhaps. However, the system is broken as it exists. In truth, it will take a reworking of both the mechanic and the player mindset regarding bounties. If it were more difficult to place a bounty on other players, it would slow down the frivolous bounties that are being placed just to place them. The bounty system could become something quite useful, but as it exists, it isn’t. A broken system is a useless system. A useless system is an unnecessary system. An unnecessary system is something worth removing. Considering how WIS failed, I would hate to see another system, one that has great potential, get axed. Just my thinking.

no one buys them because someone hits their main with their alt, puts 1b+ isk depending what they fly like charlotte the harlot flies an orca on ap waiting for someone to buy the kr because they want an orca kill and her mains profits.

get rid of the whole idea of having multiple accounts going and limit eve to 1 instance running and things will drop off unless someone uses multiple machines or god forbid they actually have to work with someone in eve.

This is something CCP cannot enforce nor detect reliably. You can just use 2 different computers to circumvent this limitation (which people already do for botting and alphas). You can use VPN to mask your IP for individual clients running on different computers. You can run one computer on your normal wireless lan, the other on a mobile connection (which is no problem with the modern relatively affordable multi-GB flat rates). And you can probably also do this on the same computer.

For EVE, such a 1-client limitation would favor the technologically experienced and skillful over those who are not as skillful if the limitation cannot be enforced in at least 99.999% of the cases or reports about alt use investigated thoroughly enough to reach an 100% accurate verdict leading to a ban.

Bounty system is in a very different situatiom than wis…for one, people use it!

It doesn’t fit your ideals, or maybe even many peoples ideals (name something that does fit most peoples ideals, fw, sov, wardecs, ganking, structures? Nope). But its far from useless.

This isn’t about the player mindset for bounties. Its just alts and immortality.

How do you think bounties in the real world would work if you couldn’t kill or imprison anyone?

Well, maybe not that far. I think the only people who use it are the folks who don’t know why it is a scandal and doesn’t mean anything.

Seriously, does anybody who knows the game at all feel anything at all, except flattery, when a bounty is put on them? It’s a joke, a failed mechanic.

I watched Chance Ravine’s video (link above) and he makes a lot of sense. I like his idea for a rebuild a lot.

Scandal how?
The old system was a scandal because you collected your own bounty. The current system isn’t what I’d call scandalous.

As for players being flattered for having bounties put on them, what are you supposed to feel? Fear? You CANNOT DIE.

The person applying the bounty isn’t losing out here. They give money to people who get kills against the bounty. Whether the bounty is paid in full or in smaller pieces makes no difference to them.

The ‘joke’ is that people are whining that bounty hunting isn’t the glamarous profession they see in films. It’s too much work for little pay. But thats always going to be the case. There is literally nothing you can do to change that. It’s a game of alts, immortality and no prison.

The only thing that can truly be killed (or stolen) is ships and pods. But you can’t place bounties on them because of repackaging.

What you’ve always been able to do though is declare in public that you will pay x amount for kill mails against y person/corp/alliance. Theres never been anything to stop people putting real bounties out there. Put it in your bio or something.

1 Like

His idea is still the same broken “Pay some ISK for a killright”, which is inherently exploitable and broken.

The Bounty system isn’t broken, it’s just not facilitating the kind of gameplay some players want it to.

The problem is that the spectrum of gameplay that players “want” out of it is either one that the majority of players on the whole don’t want or one that’s going to result in a whole lot of nothing as far as gameplay goes.

The former generally falls into the category of some kind of CONCORD avoidance ability inherent to bounty hunting, which just isn’t going to happen. We have ways that players can end up exempt to CONCORD protection, they’re called wars and security status, which together pretty well cover the range of players who might reasonably be considered to deserve a bounty.

The latter generally either falls into the range of some fairly minor tweaks to the existing system, like changes to payout or similar, or a heavily restricted version of the CONCORD avoidance mentioned previously. Generally with so many restrictions as to be worthless or nearly so. Whether it’s random assignment of bounties or putting some kind of restrictions on who can get one to the point where it’s basically already covered under the existing security status and kill rights systems.

Your idea basically sits in the latter category. You’re changing a lot of the fluff around the bounty system but the core of the system remains unchanged and most of the stuff about the system that you wish to add is already covered by war decs, kill rights, or sec status loss, and the only real way to expand the system beyond that is to add a very time consuming layer of manual review which CCP has neither the time nor resources to bother with.

TLDR: The horse is dead, stop piling more words on its grave stone.

Even the stick to beat the horse is gone by now…

1 Like

Unfortunately the stick supply is seemingly infinite… -_-

1 Like

When you break a stick, you now ahve 2 sticks. :joy:

4 Likes

Number 1; bounty hunters often act outside the confines of the law so the sec status thing im not so sure about.

No2; omg how killrights are so so broken its… just… perhaps having some skills that reduce the cost of a killright… its… an awkward one as currently you can NOT not matter what you do, attack anyone in highsec with a bounty unless they actually have a killright, and believe me when i tell you this… not many people are stupid enough to do that except the guys that are using the kr system to make isk.

Id go into a whole rant and tirade about this but i feel it is pretty much a waste of my time as i can not implement any ideas myself :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s not true and this mistake inyour thinking needs to be corrected: Simply make a suicide ganking char and shoot people with bounty on their head. Bounty mechanics work great for solo- and groups of suicide gankers.

You can not claim that one can not attack someone in highsec. It’s not true. Sorry.

I don’t know why it’s so hard for some to understand that all it takes is creating a suicide ganking char. It’s as if people think they’re forced to using only one character ever, as if it was their alter ego. Not saying you specifically do so, but there are many where it definitely looks like it.

EDIT: Necro. -.- FUUUUUUUUU -.-

actually, i just realized on how it can be done!

account security status of the bountied on when the player placing a bpunty places it. if the person has a sec status over -5 you get killrights put on you if they die in HS.

So you place a bounty on a character using an alt that never undocks, and the kill rights go on a character that is impossible to kill. This just keeps reinforcing the problem with any proposed bounty system: it’s almost impossible to get it to work in an exploit-free way in a game where alts exist.

1 Like