The biggest market mistake contest

Hey all,

So funny story… I just lost like 30 bil ISK to an error on a buy order… And that was like 90 % of my wallet. Soooo… I was just curious, did anyone ever lost more amount of ISK on the market, or did I win the title for the biggest sucker in New Eden marketplace?

Feels like all this work I put in for 2 years, was undone by a simple coma error…

Is there any chance to recover at least some part of lost ISK?

I tried to e-mail the clients, but so far only 2 great people responded and refunded 300 mil in total.

Anything else can be done about it or should I just throw myself into a cistern of boiling sulphuric acid to ease up the pain a bit?

1 Like

There are people who lost hundreds of billions of isk on stupid non-collateralized ponzi schemes, so no, yours is just a mistake, and therefore does not make you the biggest sucker in new eden. It just makes you look like an idiot.

And no, there is no way to make your isk back, unless you scam someone else, or someone else donates isk to you.

But how could you possibly make a mistake? You right click, and say “buy”. There is no inputting of numbers required.

I was editing the price one a previously set buy order, of course there is number input required

Thanks, man… that is all I needed to hear… for sure I am not going to use one wallet for everything ever again…

4 Likes

I lost a bunch of time on this game.

3 Likes

it did u well tho :slight_smile:

@Doreo_Allara you came to the right place

@Gowa_Hyasyoda - is right on all of it. I have had to take 6 months sometimes before i return (have a look at my freighter losses last year lol)

I have only been playing since 2010, but since then, I have known many ppl make HUGE mistakes. Guy in Corp decided he was gonna buy all faction POS (true sansha) plus SHIPS to live in a WH for a year!!! (Was something like 80 billion) they bought implants, fancy tengu modules etc.

His wife opened trade in jita with a stranger by accident. … you know how it ends. But not without a recording on mumble of her begging for it back. Terrible…

They never returned that I know of.

So no, you do not win most stupid. But the truth is you just made a simple mistake. When I made my first error in trading that cost me more than a billion I started practicing with zeros on the num pad. 6 zeros 7 zeros. And I trained my right hand to STOP after so I could look at the number.

I’m a guitarist/ pianist for 25 years so my kinesthetic learning is fast. I don’t actually know if that translates well for everyone, but it would seem to with video games (kinesthetic)

I practiced using the calculator on windows. I’d make my list of stuff to buy. And round it off, then add it all up.

Trade safe!

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure they didn’t. I’m a salesmen and sometimes I sell items for 10x the price I’ve put them in the market for.
I’m fairly new to this, and it took me a while to figure out why people would buy my stuff for such inflated prices. Of course I’m not sure, but I’ve always suspected it was a multibuy thing.

3 Likes

Digit scamming where people move the price from 1m to 1bn used to be pretty common even recently, less so now that broker fee’s have changed higher. The largest single fall I seen some take on this was for 30bn Isk. Normal and common highs were around 10bn isk.

I witnessed a market fat finger that cost a guy over a trillion isk 10 years ago. in Rens or Hek.

The best advice is not to have more ISK than you intend to imminently spend in your active wallet. Most ‘‘well off’’ players with over 100bn ISK tend to keep their isk safe within private char or corporation bank wallets.

3 Likes

Sometimes my wallet get very fat over a night…… that almost everytime resault in a mail that same day from someone who explains their mistake.
SO my wallet returned to the normal again, cause i ofc give back if its apparent a mistake.

This is quite often, so your not alone

2 Likes

@Gowa_Hyasyoda brought up a good quote. Have to have isk to lose isk.

I didn’t think of bringing this up, but at margin trading 5 you only have to have 24% of your escrow. This lets you “spread your bets” across markets. If modules aren’t moving but I still want to try to get what is in the module market, I’ll put 100-500 mil in the market and that effectively lets me invest (math formula) like 3 times that amount.

I wish i cared to do the math, but with a couple billion, I can spread that money out well and catch a lot of moving markets, so I’m babysitting less.

Also, train all trade skills to level 5 and play with them. After I did that with my first toon I was able to see what was essential for all my others. Some don’t have all level 5. But playing with one that did helped me understand what’s possible.

Go make those billions back if you’re not still hurting super bad.

I’m traveling right now but when I get back home if you see me online feel free to stop by the pub (cajun fast mart)

2 Likes

the other day I clicked to buy a scam order, it was billions instead of hundres of millions, and i didnt notice until i got the notification of not enough isk in my wallet to buy.
personal wallet vs corp wallet, seperate the isk somehow, it works.

2 Likes

Bought a condor once…

Biggest mistake ever.

2 Likes

I will make them back, sure :wink: it will take a while till I get back to the same amount, but I am in no rush anymore :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Oh Oh OH… i Went for the trade scam window once…… lost 60 bil.
Funny how you dont remember ■■■■ like that.

1 Like

Hmm… well I didn’t make a big market mistake. I did however get an early Christmas gift, seemingly from someone else’s mistake on HyperNET… someone posted a Rattlesnake @ 8 nodes for 162,500 ISK each… I snatched up all 8 and got the ship for 1.3 million… Turned around and sold it days later for 1.4 billion ISK…

Not a bad return on investment.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.