The Chat Bubble Meltdown: Really Guys?

I thought this game was supposed have this amazing player council that was supposed to kick all this sort of developer screwing around with ■■■■ no one cares about in the ass? What happened to that?

1 Like

They still exist, not sure where you’re getting the “amazing” bit from though. The amount of influence they have over CCP is questionable, as they are merely…let’s call them consultants and putative representatives of player opinion. In the end, CCP decides whether or not to incorporate player feedback.

That said, the CSM did achieve something notable this term by getting CCP to establish a balance team.

1 Like

CCP happened. They either listen or not, CSM doesnt actually have any real power, in terms of game development.
They can only present the players ideas to CCP.

The reason for this ■■■■ storm is that CCP have been spending time on this, without telling anyone or asking anyone. They simply decided it would be best for all to have chat bubbles, end of story.
If they had announced this new festure, before it made it to TQ, it would proberly not have blown up like this.
At least the majority of the player base would have had a chance to tell them, early on, that its a bad idea and it wont add to the game.

Does adding chat bubbles- which are already existing icons to each player in a chat channel, really take away that much dev time? Sure it looks weird, but everyone harpin on about “wasted dev time over it”… Seriously?

The problem is and always has been that CCP adds things like this “Chat Bubble” without the option to turn it off for those who don’t like it … if they made it optional then "Zero F’s " would be given and we wouldn’t be having this conversation

Personally I just want them to fix the “anti aliasing” that causes black screen for me and makes the game look awful :frowning:

3 Likes
  1. Why not just add block button since I do both same often.

2. I do keep chats in compact mode for ages so the convo bubble is not an issue until you try to click on toon name to see the details and here is the trap - in most of the cases you’ll hit the convo button :smirk:

Agree with comments that indicates the common problem of devs if you do implement something like that, make sure you leave the option to chose and if not like switch that feature off. And there is no offence cause I do simply don’t need that or didn’t really like it.

Then I can only conclude that clearly you weren’t using all of the Agent Finder’s features. That’s not a criticism on my part: it can be accounted for simply by different play style, different priorities, different in-game “residential address” and activity habits. But many of the filters have been dropped, and to many people this poses a crippling reduction (try more like “amputation”) of functionality. This affects not just one particular niche segment of the population (which would be bad enough), but several, as some people relied on one filter, some on another, some on a combination of two or more - all of these people now either can’t do what they used to, or can only do so in convoluted, time-wasting and annoying ways - this is NOT “improving the game”.

I happen to think that, in principle, the concept of The Agency is fine - more than that, in fact, it could be really good. HOWEVER, it needs to be implemented properly before that which it’s meant to replaced is removed. To wit, it needs to provide ALL the functionality, not displace any of it, support all population segments equally to its predecessors, and needs to work responsively (at the moment it’s horribly slow opening), without arbitrary and counterproductive constraints (12 results only? YTF?! And we KNOW from the fact that Career Agents returns the full list, so there’s no intrinsic, inherent internal limitation.) Until such time as it does ALL that it ought to and as well as well as it ought to, those tools/elements that it is meant to replace should be left in the game.

2 Likes

Of course not, but there are dozens of UI improvement ideas on suggestion forum. If they want to make UI change they can pick one from there.

1 Like

Except that this breaks immersion. While I know that much of the EVE community is used to constantly switching out to a browser to look things up externally, some of us actually enjoy playing within the game, without breaking the fourth wall. To such players, having to resort to external sites and tools would diminish the overall experience (frankly, I’d stop playing.)

3 Likes

It’s not about the chat bubble in itself. It’s about how CCP introduces useless and unasked for things to EVE while CCP ignores other glaring issues which should have been fixed instead. It’s also about CCP removing a functionality from the game and replacing it yet again with a inadequately programmed and tested feature with fewer options and which in addition censors content, and in addition CCP ignores test server feedback for weeks and only starts raising issues, which had been reported to them weeks ago, on the day they release the faulty mechanics to TQ.

You can try as much relativism as you want, the facts are that CCP does not do the right things. I do not care if CCP devs rely on EVE for their paychecks. If they do not do the right thing and stand up against objectively dumb management decisions, they should rightfully so have to look for new jobs.

The chat bubbles may look intuitive at first glance, but when you see it in the bigger picture of the chat UI changes, it makes the feature unintuitive. Not only do you now have to move your mouse a large distance between 2 UI features (settings and character adjustments on the far left of the window, and the chat channel menu button on the far right) which used to be in the same place, you now also have less space in the chat channel tab row because of the latter button. No one has asked for that, no one wanted less space in already crowded chat channel stacks, no one needs a button that is easily missclickable, no one needs the chat bubble when an easy right click on a character does exactly the same.

Same goes for the agency window. It does not make the game easier to play or more intuitive. It makes it harder to play in fact, in particular if you use agents because the game now shows you a selection of agents it deems interesting to you, not that you deem interesting for yourself. It also hides agents from you although you tell it specifically not to (by using the any filters).

The same goes for the minor UI adjustment in the contracts window where you now also have to move your mouse more to achieve the same settings functionality from before the patch. Instead of leaving the contract type drop down where it was, they moved it away from the search text box, which is completely unintuitive and unnecessary.

CCP does not listen to either constructive feedback nor to table flipping. But at least to players, table flipping is funnier than trying to wearing down a diamond block of ignorance with constructive water drops.

Walking in Stations, on the other hand, could have been an amazing feature, with lots of interesting implications for EVE and to expand the EVE principles to more than just tidi lagfest blobs. WIS could have made EVE a lot more interesting.

Yes, they are not responsible for dumb PVE decisions, but they don’t have to. They made some really dumb UI decisions this time, while the UI has so many areas that need proper fixing and which people have pointed out constructively to them for years (see the little things thread for reference). We know that one team has nothing to do with another, which makes it even worse because now at least 2 teams make stupid decisions, or have to follow stupid decisions from management.

Your perspective on the matter is duly noted, but it’s wholly inadequate and only relativizes serious issues.

3 Likes

Blockquote
Except that this breaks immersion. While I know that much of the EVE community is used to constantly switching out to a browser to look things up externally, some of us actually enjoy playing within the game, without breaking the fourth wall. To such players, having to resort to external sites and tools would diminish the overall experience (frankly, I’d stop playing.)

Exactly this. It is sad that we need to use external sites in first place. It just shows how bad are CCP in developing new UIs where majority of us still using dotlan over MAP UI inside game (and majority of those using ingame map just doesn’t know about dotlan).

Some of the things doesn’t make sense to be in game like killboard or loyalty shop reward list. But at least map and market informations should be available inside game in feasible way.

3 Likes

So exactly what is the point of the CSM, if CCP seems to ignore it, and at the same time, secretly work on other projects or development without telling them?

Seems like nothing more that an attempt at PR control than actually taking things on board.

Reminds me of the old quote from the Diablo III developer when faced with critique from an ex-Blizzard developer : “■■■■ that guy”

What if it was just a cunning ruse to disrupt bots?

Toaster is litterally (litter, get it?) a shiptoaster.

This ■■■■■■■■ about it being intuitive. The old way was clicking the right mouse button, then clicking “Start conversation”. There was not a single need to replace that, except for those who are too mindless and braindead to click the right mouse button and read what options are being offered!

This guy is deliberately ignoring that this isn’t just about the bubble, he’s talking ■■■■, nothkng else!

4 Likes

I can’t imagine that by now there’s any computer user in the world who is unfamiliar with the concept of right-click → context-menu. Not even Apple users.

2 Likes

That’s not really it. The issue are mindlessness. They do not read, they just click and expect a result. As a pop-up with text comes up, and they’re too mindless to read it and instead expect instant gratification, they need a chat bubble.

The future EVE ONLINE playerbase, if we don’t stop that.

1 Like

While I didnt get so mad about this new addition like some other people, i do agree with most here.

This new “feature” that no one asked for is really not needed.

Oh its done to reduce the need to use the right click menu … what?! That makes no sense when the entire game is a right click menu!! No one complained about the right click menu thing, its quite easy to do and everyone who owns a computer does it all the time even outside games!

But still, i dont see a reason to get so mad about it.

I hardly think introducing the chat bubble thing was a lot of work. I dont think that they wasted that much time on this. But i get it, its the idea of them working on stuff like this and not on more important issues.
That being said tho, speaking strictly about this “incident”, i highly doubt ccp put ALL their other work on hold to work on the chat button.

This i agree.

1 Like

I wonder about that. Not only did they have to change the appearance of the bubble after the first implementation (originally, it was always visible in all user list modes), they also had to replace the chat channel list icon and moved it to a different place. That is a lot of work to replace one right click, which you have to do anyways sometimes to show info on a char or to block it or to interact in other ways with the character. If anything, this bubble reduced coherence in interaction with chars in the user list.

The bubble aside: I am not annoyed about the bubble itself. If CCP thinks they need to introduce features to accommodate more dumb people, that’s their decision. What annoys me are all these little and not so little things they have been messing up constantly over the last couple of years. There are some improvements, yes, but they get drowned in the plethora of things that became worse or changed for no good reason or were left unfinished because “it works just good enough”.

2 Likes

What did I miss? Took few weeks break for modded darkest dungeon. What CCP broke this time? Should I dust off my pitchfork and light my torch?

If it is I will apologise profusely.

1 Like