The Dread Tackler

So, I lost a Heretic to a Naglfar’s grapple and nearly lost a Succubus to it’s combination of neuts/smartbombs not too long after.

And so while my alliance formed up to take out the dread, I used the modules I had on hand in my hanger and other ships to produce a ship that can:

1: Move fast enough with an Afterburner while grappled.
2: Always have cap to keep point and AB enabled
3: Be able to survive and repair smartbomb damage
4: Survive grazing and glancing blows
5: Have burst cap to keep active tank running through neuts.

Immediately anything larger than a frigate was off the table. Being grappled with a destroyer+ sig radius = death. Most frigates can’t survive it either. I also need a ship with cap regen bonus and vamps. A shield ship is already out of the question since I cannot afford to bloom sig in any way.

Thus I need an armor frigate ----> Vengeance. It has enough powergrid to fit a 200mm plate and an AB and an active tank and cap booster and vamps. I can tank smartbomb damage with no problem, and it can rep hard through grazing and glancing blows.

Most importantly: It’s cheap ---- requires NO bling. Half the mods on the ship were top named meta (not even T2).

I would like to report my success holding down a triple tracking enchanced HAW Nag while grappled with this setup.

[Vengeance, Dread Tackle]

200mm Rolled Tungsten Compact Plates
Reactive Armor Hardener
Small Ancillary Armor Repairer, Nanite Repair Paste
Armor Thermal Hardener II

1MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner
J5b Enduring Warp Scrambler
Small Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I, Navy Cap Booster 400

Small Ghoul Compact Energy Nosferatu
[Empty High slot]
[Empty High slot]

Small Anti-EM Pump II
Small Auxiliary Nano Pump II

2 Likes

Hate to break this to you, but if the dread has grapple + web, high angle guns and is generally set to blap subcaps (uses drop booster et al.)… You have a very dead Vengeance.

If you want to tackle it and hold it for a long time I recommend a long point that keeps you out of web, scram and optimal+falloff (24km+12km) of a faction heavy neut (this is more scary than a capital neut).

The ideal ship here would be a keres or a garmur with a faction point. Make them dual prop or put an afterburner on it. And stay roughly 40km away from it while orbiting at full speed with the afterburner on.

Hate to break it to you but you can check my killboard to confirm that this was done successfully with my vengeance.

Here’s the Heretic Lossmail:

Here’s the Nag KM

You can tell by the amount of damage I did to the Nag that I was on him for at least 10 minutes while my alliance formed up. You can also see that he’s triple tracking enhanced, double gyroed, bling grapple + bling web, smartbomed, tech 2 siege + guns + faction ammo.

I know that going 61 meters per second in a vengeance sounds terribad, but you also got the micro sig radius and the buffer to eat the grazing/glancing blows and the setup to rep through it and the smartbomb and capstability

2 Likes

Interesting, but how did you deal the damage with no weapons?

I only had one vamp and 2 launcher at the time. If I had to do it again that would be the change. I also had corpii a-type thermic plating instead of thermic hardener.

My changes would only increase the ship’s cap stability with the two extra vamps. The thermic hardener would boost both the thermal resist and the applied reactive resists twofold.

Why didn’t you just bubble him or fly a hic instead?

1: Alliance just started forming, I would have had no reps.
2: I’m not throwing a HIC out for an obvious bait cyno drop (the HIC is shiny enough to initiate the cyno)
3: This vengenace costs at most 40mil, 25ish after insurance.

Given the above, why would I use a HIC? I’ll deploy a HIC for a super or titan without hesitation, but I’m not deploying a HIC for a ship that only costs 4-6 times more than my HIC (dread/carrier)

1 Like

I don’t see a grappler on the Nag :stuck_out_tongue:

But still, I’m a bit impressed you lived.

Edit: I am blind…

Shadow Serpentis Heavy Statis Grappler

What I mean is, why did you warp to 0 and not a tad at range, so you are out of web range, through bubblegum and let him be stuck while you wait and orbit at 15 or so.

And I did bubble him. I died and reshipped. Read Heretic Lossmail.

Dictor MWD sig bloom vs HAW dread is not cool. There were a total of three dreads spread 30km apart on the field.

Due to the mathematics of a triangle (the positions of the three dreads) any direction you burn results in your transversal being near-zero against at least one dread. Sig tanking if your only defense. Which means the Vengeance is the only answer. Although someone suggested AB Keres which would work with perfect “luck.”

The Vengeance removes “luck” from the equation since it has enough buffer to be “retard-proof.”

Ah that explains it. I assumed it was only one nag.

I always aim for the cheapest vessel that can perform the job. Why play into the expected meta with a half billion HIC that would have been swatted by three HAW dreads?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.