The Fall of Origin

Empire space belongs to empires. There are no free systems for making historical home for ALXVP. And WH space is free for settling. I think, for this reason they don’t suit space of empires

1 Like

I agree. If you’re immortal you can make a life outside Empire space - but it looks like a bad place to be a baseliner colonist.

1 Like

Not everyone is very keen of transhuman experiments. What better than a place in the middle of nowhere to do your stuff without being bothered much ?

1 Like

You can absolutely live there.

But you can’t settle there, and you bring only what you can comfortably defend, or won’t miss, or can evac inside of 36 hours when the wolves start howling in the distance.

2 Likes

I would have recommended accepting the compliment.

Then perhaps I was overly generous.

1 Like

Well, Stitcher already did that. No point in doing it twice, one is enough! I would hate to give our lovely evictioners too much praise and risking to have it go to their heads!

Oh well, I don’t know that!

For sure I’m not changing idea whetever everyone says. ^^

2 Likes

That’s enough, Miyoshi. I’m frustrated and hurting too, but let’s stay professional please.

4 Likes

Yes, Boss! ^^

1 Like

You know, when Val’s pointing out you’re being stupid… damn you’re being stupid.

2 Likes

Wow, tough break guys. If you need a hanger full of couches to crash on for a couple days, I’m sure I could arrange something.

2 Likes

I hate to rub this in, but I learned this lesson the very hard way with Hole Riders, you must have adequate defensive firepower and enough active personell in-house at all times or you should start the process of removing nonessential assets. You simply can’t rely on allies in J-space, it’s far more unreliable than elsewhere. I knew this day would come sooner or later.

Get your people out safely. It’ll haunt you forever if you leave them behind. I still regret not being able to save them all when J233255 fell.

6 Likes

As an expert in the history of such things, from my great work on the history of the decline of the Takmahl Empire, I can describe the issues that the civilian populations will now face.

The major problem for the civilian population on the planets, is the sudden disruption of interplanetary trade.

Without the interplanetary trade, each planet has to be self-sufficient in food and technical resources, which may not be the case.
Food is of course the primary problem. The populations of some of the outer worlds may have to set up emergency hydroponic systems. Or, they may have sufficient rocketships from the remnants of capsuleer planetary extraction infrastructure, to contemplate evacuating to the inner planets.
The second problem would be the technical resources necessary to maintain the planetary habitats - machinery for atmospheric processing, water recycling, etc. etc. Which is a major concern on non-temperate planets where colonial habitats often take the form of domes or underground settlements. Less of a concern of course on temperate planets, though it is still important.
Again, without resupply from other planets, the civilians may not be able to maintain their infrastructure, and might have to consider evacuation to the inner worlds.
Even on the temperate planets, if there is a lack of metals or other minerals used for manufacturing, then the standard of living would inevitably decline, as more advanced technologies become impossible to repair and maintain.

And then there is the cultural impact of suddenly being cut off from other planets, and indeed the rest of the universe. Ending the flow of information and entertainment media, would have a profound effect on the colonists.

So, should Stitcher and co. make a return to the system, they should be careful. I’m not saying there’s a 100% chance of the settlements on the outer planets being empty ruins full of the corpses of colonists who committed mass suicide rather than starve or suffocate, and the settlements on the inner planets having regressed to techno-barbarism with roving bands of marauders scavenging for working archeotech with which to carve out a feudal realm for themselves, but it’s a scenario that Stitcher and co. should at least be aware of.

2 Likes

Or, you know, the baseliners within the system could continue to move supplies within the system (do you seriously think entire planets’ worth of goods can be shuttled around by one or two dozen capsuleers?), with their ships blissfully unseen by capsuleer vessels, just like now.

Huh. And just think, I didn’t even need a grandiose claim of unwarranted expertise to know that we can’t see baseliner traffic in J-space any more than we can see it in Empire. But hey, at least you can suggest another smoothie combo, right?

1 Like

Assuming that any of that infrastructure remains operational, in the aftermath of the campaign of destruction of orbital infrastructure by the opposing forces.

Astrahuses, planetary customs offices, various other orbital crap. Sure, the baseliner ships are generally not visible. But ships can’t dock at Astrahuses that no longer exist, can they ? Citadels and the like being major transport hubs for both capsuleer and baseliner traffic.

1 Like

Right. The planetary customs offices were capsuleer infrastructure. Direct shipping generally doesn’t need them.

1 Like

Yes, we’ve at least kept covert ships in-system to facilitate (an admittedly limited) communications network, and it is fortunate the majority of the populace who didn’t live and work in space were on the three temperate worlds. Some of our pilots do still have planetary command centers with functional rockets, as you mentioned.

These are very real possibilities you bring up, and aren’t entirely unlike some of the planet-side conditions our early colonists witnessed when we initially settled Origin. Sometimes I wonder how many expeditions have come and gone in these islands among the cosmos, only to be erased to ruins? Regardless we’ll be busy with evacuation and rescue efforts for some time. Fortunately a lesson learned from exploring the Sleeper and Talocan ruins is one of eternal patience.

1 Like

All of the above is why the Origin colonies have been made self-sufficient, as much as possible. Obviously there are some things that can’t practically be manufactured locally, chief among them being fluid routers. So, FTL communications with the rest of New Eden will eventually become bottlenecked by that concern.

Naturally this is going to slow the import of external media, software and news, but as far as the essentials are conerned - food, manufacturing and medical technology - the trio of Origin colonies will be perfectly comfortable. Indeed, the medical technology available on Renaissance is a significant step ahead of what’s available in many lowsec colonies.

…The diet might get a bit monotonous for a while there, though. “Self-sufficient” doesn’t automatically mean an abundance or great variety of luxury foodstuffs, after all.

2 Likes

I guess now all those experiments get put through their first really serious stress test.

1 Like

Eat vatgrown proteins! Vatgrown proteins are good for the environment and okay for you!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.