The Grand Heist - In Testing

I love the look of the new ESS! UI is slick enough that it makes other areas of the UI feel clunky and outdated. A+ work on that!

The one thing that I’m a little confused by is the “next payout” timer when hacking the reserve bank.

When you mouse over the reserve bank UI it gives “Early/Peak/Late” and then gives the next payout amount. I feel like the yellow boxes getting continuously larger until the end is misleading as the ticks are dynamic and will grow/shrink with time.

To me it would be more informative to have it act more like a circular oscilloscope display and have the boxes grow and shrink with what the estimated payouts will be, otherwise it it feels like it should just be a loading bar.

Anyway, thanks for a neat activity and a really sleek design :slight_smile:

Am I the only one that is disappointed to see that there is no hacking aspect to the reserve bank heists? Just activating your key and sitting around scooping isk seems a bit on the boring side when the opportunity was there to make this something with at least a tiny bit of skill or problem solving required for the reward.

On the bright side, it does look pretty dope to plug my favorite ship in the game into the side of an ESS and watch it look like you are short circuiting something.

2 Likes

First new EvE feature which interests me…The Heist thing.
I only waited 14 years.

The hacking game is to get the keys. When you have the key, why would you need a hacker? :wink:

2 Likes

People keep complaining that they don’t like the hacking minigame. What you experience there is the old hacking process where you just sat next to a container and waited while your hacker cycled. Consider it CCP’s attempt at getting back to the roots and please people.

Yo,

I can spot two issues:

I can find no info on either how the ESS works or how these keys and sites work.

No official info on ships restrictions, no info on payout? Does CCP do the art and the programming (which probably took some effort) and then just not documented anything at all or what’s going on here?

The only thing I could find was this post form 10 months ago.

It contains the second issue:

Warping is disabled
MJDs are disabled
MWDs are disabled
Cloaking is disabled
No cynos may be lit
No filaments may be activated

“The new ESS will have a unique set of on-grid rules to encourage good fights and avoid troll-like tactics.”

If those are troll like tactics and implying that that is bad, why are they still in the game? Why is cloaking in a game mechanic about stealing a troll like tactic?

Cloaking, warping, cynos, filaments, microjumpdrives and microwarp drives aren’t ‘troll like tactics’ by themselves.

But when you have gameplay about fighting on one specific grid and holding ground, then it can turn to troll-like tactics by pinging the ESS notification and using warp/cloak/filament/microjump/etc to immediately get out when response comes.

Those restrictions of the ESS grid mean you have to commit to holding that grid or die fighting. Without those restrictions, people won’t have to commit and can troll ping every ESS until people are too bored to respond.

That’s what CCP means with ‘troll like tactics’ and that’s why those things aren’t allowed on ESS grids but are allowed elsewhere.

I assume the ship restrictions on the ESS are the same as currently live: cruisers, battlecruisers and battleships.

@CCP_Dopamine now that the sites are live and went live broken, don’t you think you should have listened to us when we asked for them to be put on sisi for testing so the issues being seen would’ve been caught before now?

4 Likes

The crazy thing is if enough new players stay long enough how many will become wallet warrior ie. increasing CCP income. Long term Safer Friendly Newbro Events and Activities will increase cash COWs and CCPs future.

The 5 minutes on the grid is just more of the same in favor of large fleets and rapid escalations. Nothing to see for the little guys, just the same outcome of losing their ships to blobs. Disappointing.

Yup, exactly the payout is worthless for the time required to stay on grid.

This feature is intended for large fleets, not small operators, as the region-wide ping will insure swift response.

I have been hunting overpropped ishtars for a long time before dropping from the game, and the right time to be able to slip under the big blob is two minutes, three max, when there is no automated region alert. Kill the ratting ship (which you have to stop in its track, which by itself is not easy) and align back, possibly handle the very first responders if they are not organized. Some pilots are less efficient in warning their mates, but automated messaging is just blob’s juice. I would have done a local message only, and made at least 50% of the income in the first minute, and 50% of the remaining every minute after that.
But hey, the cartels and blob lobbyists are still doing a pretty good job through the CSM.

Sadly that does seem to be the direction CCP/PA are heading.
The cash cow churn of P2P/P2W is very real, only problem is without rewriting many of Eve’s game mechanics those type of players are relatively short term income for CCP.
P2P/P2W types generally don’t want to spend years or even months to see the “rewards” of their investment and unless CCP do away with the skill tree altogether and just sell “skill packages” to fly a certain class of ship and the ships to go with them they will continue to see new/er player churn.

My current view for - The future of Eve;
Instanced “AT” arena style PVP where the winners get paid in Plex, which can then be used to buy more skills, modules and ships from New Eden Store.

Mining and industry are completely removed.

PVE rewards are switched from Isk/LP to Plex.

In game player run market competes directly with CCP and Plex is the only currency used.

Plex can no longer be “gifted” or traded between accounts.

The ESS Keys disappearing issue seems to have been resolved.

I have tried to test whether the acceleration gate works correctly on Singularity but was not able to scan down any SCC Secure sites. Are they available on Sisi? Thanks for the information.

No, they aren’t. But I hear from others that the bugs are fixed.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.