The Intaki Crisis : The Intaki Diaspora Responds

It is a fair question. I hope some of the responses and, perhaps, rereading the first two posts in this thread, draw your attention to the variety of ongoing and concrete actions that are being pursued.

I would echo Bataav’s observation of capsuleer behaviour in and around Intaki. The signatories to this declaration have, to varying extents admittedly, a collective track record of consistent local activity which should reassure you that we are not going to become distracted.

That said, there is quite a low limit to what we can achieve if the principals in this conflict remain determined. None of us are in a position to facilitate talks between Lai Dai and Ishukone! We have been talking to a Lai Dai capsuleer citizen who has shown an interest in the hope of building a bridge there but, frankly, this is above all our pay grades - which leaves doing our best to tinker around the edges.

3 Likes

Ange,

From the bottom of my heart, thank you for your concern…
…trolling.

Actually, no. All that time sat in meetings clarified everyone’s positions. And the capsuleer agencies that used to just do their own thing and that are choosing to remain involved are going to work as a group. I have been hot-headed. I will now be reined in. Some of the other signatories have actually tripped over one another for lack of coordination during this crisis already, but that will not happen again.

I’ll speak for myself only, as this regards actions undertaken before the intakitun manifesto was agreed and signed.

As I said elsewhere (linked to by @Bataav) the Intaki system, being a 0.1 security system, has no CONCORD customs. Which evidently presents a problem for the inhabitants. I have done my best to enhance the surveillance of access points to the system. In fact I am doing that on an ongoing basis as it involves monitoring wormholes on a 24-hour cycle.

I have not heard from Lai Dai Protection Service about my lawfully-entered market orders at their stations. They seem to be the ones not interested in talking to measly capsuleers.

You make it sound as if the Intaki V conflict is a primarily a disagreement between Ishukone and Lai Dai. It isn’t. The primary aggrieved parties in Lai Dai’s actions are the sovereign government of Intaki V - namely the Intaki Assembly - and the Ida monasteries.

You are implying that just allowing Ishukone and Lai Dai to reach a settlement would solve the problem. That is not necessarily the case. Ishukone might well agree to let Lai Dai run rampage planetside, in exchange for compensation elsewhere. There is no reason why Ishukone or Lai Dai would need to have the best interest of the people of Intaki V at heart in their bilateral negotiations.

There was no accidental gift. Either Lai Dai confiscates my stuff, in which case they’ll see me in court for breach of lawfully-entered market orders; or they buy me out. Moreover, toxic waste was chosen precisely because it is listed as a commodity that Lai Dai Protection Service supplies for sale at their own stations. If they want weapons of mass destruction, they don’t need me to provide them - accidentally or otherwise.

So, your point was…?

:pray: Namas, Ange

Or they let the orders expire, at which point you’ve wasted money and achieved nothing. (Hint: This is what they’ll do.)

Hint: that buys me 90 days and then I can roll the orders over.

1 Like

And still achieve nothing.

What would satisfy you more, Arrendis, that I try nothing or that I achieve nothing?

1 Like

I can’t speak for Arrendis, I’ll be satisfied if you fail to achieve (presumably not on purpose) a calamity of some sort.

You’re literally playing with radioactive waste. And while Lai Dai seems to be considering doing the same thing only worse by moving it into places where it stands a constant chance of being aerosolized by a rail gun round, I have way more chance of persuading you it’s a bad idea and you should try something else.

Rest assured I will be trying something else in the near future.

I’d say “oh good,” but you mean “additionally,” not “instead,” don’t you?

Because escalating a confrontation with one of the State’s more militaristic megacorporations is going to lead to good things?

Putting words in my mouth now?

Keep on keeping on.

Something about the way you said it seemed to suggest an escalation. “Further appropriate measures are under consideration” sort of tone.

Am I wrong?

Further discussion of toxic waste - or me personally as opposed to the daridas intakitun - should be considered off-topic.

There is something to be said about a corporation that feels it is well within its legal rights to sack monasteries and medical centers but challenges the legality of toxic waste being sold in its stations. There’s also something to be said of people who would challenge the latter without commenting on the former…

Still, you’re welcome to raise complaint with the whole of the daridas if you feel that these measures are unethical and immoral. I can’t guarantee how much consideration it’d be given among the signatories, but it would be at least be brought up in delegation.

2 Likes

The problem with these measures is not their ethical aspect, it’s that they might backfire horribly.

1 Like

Feel free to suggest your own resolutions. The signatories are always looking for new and exciting ways with which to protest the actions of oppressors.

1 Like

The UNF’s deployment has raised some concerns privately, over the intentions of a foreign national entity in the affairs of the Intaki. Our intervention in support of the Intaki Militia, ILF, and Intaki Prime itself, are resultant to outcry from the many Intaki, myself included, currently under the employ of the UNF, and residing in UNF territories such as structures, and the Arcology on Eugales VI, and our longstanding friendship with the ILF and other Intaki organizations since our coming onto the clusterwide stage. We remain committed to helping the Intaki people, in whatever capacity we are able to do so, and thank the ILF and other signatories for allowing us to participate in such matters.

4 Likes

Well, you see, it’s Lai Dai we’re talking about. They’re not the “screw the rules, I have money” kind of characters the Practicals tend to be, but your protest matters exceedingly little to them. Quite unfortunately, not being Practicals means you can’t really bribe them to make them leave, either.
Therefore, a solution has to be twofold: it has to both make the presence of LDPS and their affiliated mercenaries on Intaki V a continued drain on their bottom line and it has to offer them an exit strategy that will allow them to save face before the rest of the State… and possibly someone else.

Now, the former is easy - the Intaki Militia is unlikely to refuse anonymous and not-so-anonymous donations of funds, armaments, supplies and instructors, especially not after their encounters with LDPS at Kainta Yavaat. Enough effort, and the risks of any further attempts at smash-and-grab will outweigh the benefits - we might have already arrived at that stage, since there seems to be some uneasy stalemate in place. No need to stop there - the more effective the militia becomes as a fighting force, the better.

As for the latter, however - well, yeah, that’s obviously the hard part. A poor peace is still better than a good war. It would help to keep diplomacy on the table, and to avoid actively antagonizing a megacorp that certainly won’t hesitate to antagonize the hell out of you and everyone in the blast radius of you in return.
Let’s start with the obvious question: what does Lai Dai actually want with our world?

6 Likes

There are already plans in motion that exact on putting Lai Dai under economic distress. The Toxic Waste, though unfortunate in its effect, was part of that, as it discourages business in general. As far as what they want with the homeworld they have made no demands and as far as we know attempts to communicate have largely been unsuccessful, even among capsuleers who one would think they favor.

We have no concrete evidence, but as explained in our investigation, their interests in sacking monasteries and medical research centers shows that this may be a cultural cleansing of sorts. Occam’s Razor would suggest that it is retaliation for the events in the Khanid Kingdom, and your line of questioning does lead to wonder if they were threatened with economic disparity if they didn’t act.

To put it simply: We do not know.

1 Like

Sah, thank you, your engagement is a wonderful example of the intent of the Diaspora.

Both points you make are absolutely correct too.

On the first of these, preparations are underway for a plan to put some economic pressure on the specific part of Lai Dai’s business that is both most closely connected to the Kingdom and the most obvious beneficiary of LDPS’ raids on Intaki - its medical research division. It is a large undertaking and we are few so, if you would be interested in contributing, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

On the second point, we will continue to pursue what can be done with Seki Heiwari Insaika but, as we all know her voice, like ours, probably counts for very little in the Lai Dai boardroom.

2 Likes

We should be concerned about what Sah Phyre is implying about Lai Dai: that they may care more about face than about money. Maybe this means a market attack on Lai Dai should be aimed at making them lose face rather than only money.