The like and get likes thread II

@discobot fortune Am I lucky or am I lucky?

5 Likes

:crystal_ball: Outlook good

5 Likes

Wait. Game shows are fixed. Well, at least we still have “The Wives of…”

Herbert Stempel discusses his life after the quiz show scandals - EMMYTVLEGENDS.ORG - YouTube
4 Likes

Time to go to bed… nighties lovelies!

Also, a random thought for you: a cloud is not a thing, a cloud it’s a place. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)
(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

3 Likes

My newer(5 year old) PC is not complying well with Windows updates. It started to type backwards after the latest forced update. Freezes occur and it takes up to 2 minutes to thaw. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

SSD is at the end of its lifespan too. Which budget SATA III SSD do you guys recommend?

Good night lovelies. :heart:

5 Likes

First of all, why is your newer or newest PC 5 years old?
Computers, be it cellphones, tablets or other work better if 3 years old or new.
Anything over that, and, you’re not only on your own to keep it working, but you can also expect some other costs and efforts and efficiency requirement which you will have to do yourself, assuming you don’t have to map actual data because the system fails, corrupted or not.

Is the reason it is 5 years old because you bought it 2nd hand less than 2 years ago?
Or, you run Windows 7 which is over 5 years old ?
[ It was released to manufacturing on July 22, 2009 and became generally available on October 22, 2009,[8] less than three years after the release of its predecessor, Windows Vista. ]

2ndly, what do you mean by started to type backward?
3rdly, “Freezes occur” can be due to hardware and BIOS.

4rtly, a new Hard disk will fix the hard disk potential problems, however, you should get a new license ($50) for the OS, which, by the way, are you running Windows 7?
My last hard disk broke down due to a small shock.
The data was not recoverable by normal method, or normal engineering methods because the connectors system were damaged, and it would require to design new connector system to bypass, override, or circumvent the problem.

The only backup I have was a USB data backup of files copied in non-backup format, which is faster but doesn’t include encryption and is more prone to potential theft, unless I run extra security to track the thieves and so on…

Curious Droid
Published on Apr 9, 2019
108K views * 1 day ago

Scott Manley
Published on Apr 10, 2019
68K views * 6 hours ago

Scott Manley
Published on Apr 8, 2019
156K views * 2 days ago

Taken from a chapter of Jordan Ellenberg’s amazing book How Not to Be Wrong: The Power of Mathematical Thinking.

3 Likes

.koobecaF no ylno tuB .siht ekil sdrawkcab si tI

My PC is old because I like to make the best of what I have. Also owning a computer in my country is entirely seen as a luxury.

I am running a copy of Windows 10 with updates enabled. The PC ran fine until it was updated. I had my computer’s hardware checked and performed physical maintenance a year ago.

Good morning, lovelies. :heart:

EDIT: I think I’ll switch to Linux today since a Windows 10 license is 1600 TL($281). I’ll try to figure out which distro to install. Do you have any suggestions @lilsteel ?

5 Likes

Soooo… the UK, on their way to Brexit, will hold European elections and will have to make up their minds (or don’t) no later than October 31st…

If I was Monty Python, i would sue the Parliament over stealing Mr. Gumby’s idea of policy making.

4 Likes

Amazon Workers Are Listening To What You Tell Alexa - Bloomberg

Refers: Amazon Workers Are Listening To What You Tell Alexa - Slashdot

Refers: Chinese Scientists Have Put Human Brain Genes In Monkeys – And Yes, They May Be Smarter - Slashdot

4 Likes

I can’t figure out whether I’m bored,tired or depressed. :neutral_face:

Good night, lovelies. :heart:

3 Likes

As a rule of thumb, it’s not depression unless it makes you hurt and it’s been this bad for at least 3 months.

Probably it’s just spring weakness as your body adapts to the season and it should be gone in a couple of weeks after it starts.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Maybe I just need to entertain myself more…I’ll watch Disney’s Frozen for the first time.

Timezone lovelies. :heart:

4 Likes

Frozen was “meh”. Wreck-It Ralph is next…to be watched for another day.

3 Likes

I’ve finished watching Gate. It’s an average series after all, the premise is interesting but it kind of losses its way soon and becomes a mishmash of stuff cobbled together with more than a couple of disputable choices. I mean, a subplot with some kind of love story between a grown up man and a 12 year…? At least it spares us on pantsu but can’t tell you what kind of thing it pretends to be other than a glorification of Japan’s SDF and a mix of militaria and fantasy. Technically, the integration between 3D vehicles and 2D animation also screeches a little (which must be really serious if I’ve noticed it).

Unless other times, I don’t feel inclined to think about how could the idea be improved or better implemented. Unless you go along the way of how skilled sword and shield warriors would pose a deadly threat to modern military in close combat or how some fantasy creatures would also be an issue if they were “real”, it’s difficult to get a good story from the premise. And all in all it would become a story on how the 1st world power controlling the gate colonizes and eventually destroys the fantasy world beyond the gate.

Maybe if there wasn’t a static gate, but portals randomly opening into our world and modern day people caught with their pants down against medieval fantasy invaders and/or vice versa… hmmm…

Anyway, it’s well past my sleep time. Nighties lovelies!

4 Likes

2005 vs 2017

4 Likes

Yes, 2 or more OS are better.

2 or more computers are also better, and if you can get a Mac and a IBM type of system, that is also better. (IBM clones can count as an IBM system, even though it is not, and I won’t go into the differences here for the sake of simplicity).

Linux is a more than viable solution, and considering it is related to UNIX, it can be much more valuable than their (its) Windows Mac counterparts.

Also, why pay 1600 TL($281) for a license when you can get one for free from a free upgrade from Windows 7?
2 Windows 7 at under $50 are free (updates, minus the download time and so on).
I am pretty sure the original offer is no longer offered at this time, as usually, Microsoft keep those free Beta version only accessible or available for a limited period of time, short period of time, or longer than short period of time…

Also, it’s possible the problem is not software, and it could be the BIOS or hardware, but, like you said or mentioned (or wrote), you performed and had performed a physical maintenance or maintenance or verification test of the system performance and settings, files system and updates status a year ago, so it’s possible it’s not the BIOS.
As for the hardware, it doesn’t have to malfunction for an update not to work.
The problem is that it may not be compatible.

It’s like if I write an inventory program to save files on a hard disk inventory system with sectors and so on, and that it didn’t work on another computer…
I’d have to find the proper library (or libraries, plural) that are compatible with the computer hardware type (and OS, if different) for it to work.
If 3 systems had 3 configuration, the program would need 3.
If my program runs offline as well, that offline version would work even if it doesn’t work on those 3 systems.
That offline version would be good enough to load a new version on each 3.
The same is true for any computers architecture, including SpaceX or Sputnik.

Each sector stores a fixed amount of user-accessible data, traditionally 512 bytes for hard disk drives (HDDs) and 2048 bytes for CD-ROMs and DVD-ROMs. Newer HDDs use 4096-byte (4 KiB) sectors, which are known as the Advanced Format (AF). The sector is the minimum storage unit of a hard drive .

Run the Linux OS if you can install it.
I have a Linux on my USB key which is a bootable version, but it had a problem to run the mouse (due to a driver config which was not completed properly).
The rest of the system seem to load for operational purposes of the Linux operating system which is what operating systems for computer hardware are for anyways.

TopTenz

Scott Manley
Published on Apr 12, 2019
114K views
New

FilmIsNow Movie Bloopers & Extras
Published on Apr 3, 2018

Living in a Parallel Universe
6 days ago

4 days ago
@space and astronomy Nonetheless, Parallel Universe used to be part of Astronomy, for dimension, around the 7th or higher level dimension. In other words, it was possible for universe to exist in more than one place at the same time, or, rather, it was possible for universe or dimensions to exist in more than one dimension even though the time would be different due to dimensions. It would still be parallel. For instance, something that happened in the past, may cause something to happen differently but be related by parallel, such as for cause and effects.

4 days ago
@space and astronomy Every file copy of a scientific fact is a copy in a parallel universe. If the file is not scientific, or, falsely claimed to not be scientific, whether for scientific propaganda or other, it can be said not to be in a parallel universe, or , to be in an anti-parallel universe. It takes analysis to know.

4 days ago
How du you knwo that ?

Grunge

[5 Signs that Parallel Universes Exist]
(from Are We Living In A Parallel Universe?)

Air Force Space & Missile Museum Foundation
Published on Dec 3, 2012

THE TOP 10
Published on Mar 14, 2019

3 Likes

I thought the Windows 7 update to 10 time frame ended. Also What do you think about the video below?

5 Likes

Gaming on Linux is like gaming with a hand tied to your back. You can, but, should you?

4 Likes