The like and get likes thread II

There was once a sort of tank that could not turn at all. Baby steps I presume. One tank track at a time.

Also I have stumbled upon this cover:

Conan the barbarian rescued from a sure death by a pretty and brave lass with a big gun.

16 Likes

…or maybe is a brave lass saving her pet alien dinosaur from a bloodthirsty barbarian… :thinking:

14 Likes
12 Likes

I don’t know what to do. Perhaps it’s time for another try at XCOM2 on Legend Ironman?
Current score should be something like: XCOM 3 : 35’ish Elders :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s really brutal how a single mistake in one mission is going to bite you in the ass 5 missions later, or - and that happens quite often… - the RNG simply fucks you over entirely.

11 Likes

Make ancient beer? :beer::amphora:

13 Likes

Meanwhile, also sprach Alexander Graham Bell (in 1885):

Funny how he actually had Scottish accent. :rofl:

14 Likes

First KIA in mission 4. Damn Chosen assassin.

12 Likes

One more win for the Elders. Campaign 64 is a go :joy:

On another note,

It would certainly be interesting to read through those e-mails.

15 Likes

According to data obtained from the self-driving system, the system first registered radar and LIDAR observations of the pedestrian about 6 seconds before impact, when the vehicle was traveling at 43 mph. As the vehicle and pedestrian paths converged, the self-driving system software classified the pedestrian as an unknown object, as a vehicle, and then as a bicycle with varying expectations of future travel path. At 1.3 seconds before impact, the self-driving system determined that an emergency braking maneuver was needed to mitigate a collision (see figure 2). 2 According to Uber, emergency braking maneuvers are not enabled while the vehicle is under computer control, to reduce the potential for erratic vehicle behavior. The vehicle operator is relied on to intervene and take action. The system is not designed to alert the operator.

13 Likes

I wonder if operator even knew about that.

11 Likes

I’m sorry…who is this bloak?

10 Likes

There are no news of my dad’s surgery yet. I guess no news is good news.

12 Likes

If this is a question about fractals then maybe I can give an interpretation.

Fractals have been known for a while now, only with the age have these become more popular, because one can now visualize them and with more computing power can one create very complex looking fractals.

However the main fascination is that despite their complex shapes and designs do these follow very simple rules. When you then think about how the universe obeys the laws of physics and how it all must be based on particle physics and quantum physics, then it makes for one very intriguing question. Is the universe a fractal?

Fractals have repeating features, but the closer one looks the more differences one finds. It’s then no different with our universe where we see countless stars and galaxies, all looking the same at first, but then being different the closer we look.

There are also many examples here on Earth where we find obvious fractal designs in nature.

Only the universe has (at least) 3 dimensions and we are moving forward through time, and we are a part of it and living inside of it, so it’s a bit mind-boggling to think we are living piece of a fractal.

So, yes, the “Nyan Cat in Fractal Land” is perhaps a silly take on the whole concept of living in a fractal universe.

12 Likes

https://www.kiro7.com/www.kiro7.com/news/local/woman-says-her-amazon-device-recorded-private-conversation-sent-it-out-to-random-contact/755507974

“I felt invaded,” she said. “A total privacy invasion. Immediately I said, ‘I’m never plugging that device in again, because I can’t trust it.’”

That’s what you get for being dumb enough to deliberately install a surveillance device. From a shady company that makes money out of gathering as much user data as possible, no less.

13 Likes

Woah. This makes Apple’s unfusable fuses look like briliant design. What’s the point with a self-driving car that won’t brake when necessary? And if that leads to inacceptable erratic behavior, why is that vehicle even on the open road? And why there’s no warning system for the driver?

Uber managed to kill a person with a “smart” car that’s more stupid than some standard cars… the very base model of their platform would have stopped if weren’t for the AI in charge of not braking when collisison is inminent! It’s so f-ed up that looks like sabotage.

“Yeah, we gonna ride this vehicle on open streets, but don’t worry: if something strange happens, it will ram the bloody pedestrian, bike or brickwal at full speed! That wil teach them to not stand in the way of the Uber!”

11 Likes

Well, thanks for the explanation, but it was more of a rethorical question. :grin:

11 Likes

Because it’s Uber. The company is rotten to the core. Ignoring laws and safety standards is their business model.
Their cars weren’t even in a ready state for a test track and they put them on frickin’ real roads. It was really only a matter of time until someone got hit by one of Ubers’ cars and had to pay with his / her life.

12 Likes

Here in the UK do drivers need to put a red L onto their car to signal to others that they’re still learning to drive. I expect nothing less from Uber or any other self-driving car. The technology is definitely still in the learning stage.

Learner

11 Likes

I’ve had some aquarium gear with fuses that never blew and the device died instead. lol

12 Likes

Was it an iQuarium? :rofl:

12 Likes