The Like and Get Likes thread III

The problem with hydrogen is that if you’ve got the energy to manufacture it, you’ll be better using that energy to something else than producing hydrogen. It’s just too much hassle to very little energy return, specially once we consider the whole needs of using hydrogen. Like using polymer linings to protect metal from hydrogen (you can’t just put hydrogen into a metal tank… the thing is so tiny that hydrogen atoms slip through the space between metal atoms, dampening their electrical bonds and eventually weakening the structure. Since hydrogen is kept pressurized because it’s so tiny that any mass of it takes an ungodly space, hydrogen metal tainting is a serious issue which can only be alleviated by using special polymers (plastics) with extremely thick mollecular grids which delay the passage of hydrogen atoms and protect metal for several years. The tank will still leak 24/7 and will eventually become tainted, but can be used for years.

The other option is to keep hydrogen in a liquid phase, which takes an ungodly amount of energy to cool it down and then low temperature (-252 C) makes metals brittle and that leads to a different set of issues and solutions…

…and at the end of the day, hydrogen still is quite toxic, highly flammable and violently explosive.

The most sensible way to deal with hydrogen is to mix it with carbon to make CH4 aka methane, and there are better ways to obtain methane than elecrolyze water to get hydrogen to combine with carbon.

5 Likes

Yes

I just got an idea for a new hybrid charge(and maybe a similar charge for projectile turrets): pretty much just a bunch of hydrogen in a shell that gets yeeted at the target(like a normal charge), then the heat generated from the impact is enough to ignite the hydrogen, dealing more damage(especially when hitting shield, because shields are a bunch of energy, so the ignition and following explosion will be more violent)

I think maybe I should have put that in the modules or features and ideas sections, whatever

6 Likes

Getting methane is very possible without even using hydrogen for that. Methane is a byproduct of many animal production facilities and its also present in big quantities at the waste dumps.

But hydrogen can be used readily for energy production, if spain have problems with renewable energy, and you have lots of sun, and shortage of water, all you would have to do is to get tanks full of water thats going thru electrolysis repeatedly, when needed, in a closed loop, when the water made from producing energy will be used for electrolysis later, and is constantly reusable, and since you have a lot of sun, you will use photovoltaics to operate the energy plants. You would be stable with the hydrogen fuel cells operating on a renevable water resource and free radiation from sun.

Hydrogen would be stored in a gas form. If stationary Toyota Mirai can run on it, so can stationary energy plant. Mirai will produce water and energy, and that water could be gathered to make more fuel. SImple. Get thousand Mirai power modules with tanks, get enough photovoltaics to crack water, store hydrogen, fuel mirai, repeat.

The ev’s are pretty dead end today as the batteries technology seems to stagnate. They want to make sodium batteries, could be promising, but there is nothing simpler and renevable than hydrogen and oxygen combining and reusing it again as water for electolysis. And hydrogen can be refuelled in few minutes, not waiting for battery car to load.

5 Likes

9 Likes

I see these drones need a mind of their own, as steering them is a problem due to the flight characteristic. They would not hover over one place like a hummingbird with such big wings.

7 Likes

Quite impressive winged drones… and certainly having the military interested on the matter will lead to further improvements.

but now I’m off to sleep and thus I say: nighties lovelies!

5 Likes
  1. Vimeo
  2. DTube
  3. Internet Archives Video Section
  4. Metacafe
  5. 9GAG TV
  6. Dailymotion
  7. Vevo
  8. Twitch
  9. TED
  10. Crackle
5 Likes
  1. First.
  2. Second.
  3. Before the fourth.
  4. After the third.
  5. Average number of fingers in human hand.
  6. Most common number of fingers in polydactyly.
  7. Neither the first to have more than 4 letters nor the first to have more than one e.
  8. Double of the most usual number of letters in single digit number names.
  9. Triple of three but only half of eighteen.
  10. First to include a zero.

And now I’m off to bed. Nighties lovelies!

7 Likes
  1. I hate the way you talk to me, and the way you cut your hair.

2. I hate the way you drive my car;

3. I hate it when you stare.

4. I hate your big dumb combat boots and the way you read my mind.

5. I hate you so much it makes me sick. It even makes me rhyme.

6. I hate it — I hate the way you’re always right;

7. I hate it when you lie.

8. I hate it when you make me laugh, even worse when you make me cry.

9. I hate it when you’re not around and the fact that you didn’t call.

10. But mostly I hate the way I don’t hate you — not even close, not even a little bit, not even at all.

Timezone

7 Likes

I had an idea for another 1 to 10 list but I should be going to bed (or at least, leave the computer). So, maybe tomorrow? Nighties lovelies!

5 Likes

@Uriel_the_Flame re;

Not My Princess...

6 Likes

Guess that i’m going to bed early today… nighties lovelies!

Also: Cobalt 60 rods are nasty stuff and they totally deserve the signage “drop and run!”…

8 Likes

And the company got $400 in fines for illegally storing toxic medical devices… less than what one gets for drunk driving, and about $19K in civil suits. Wow so much money, it should dissuade others to be so debonair with radioactive material. I’m glad we’re all safe from a nuclear accident.

5 Likes

Wubba lubba dub dub!

Timezone!

5 Likes

cellulose and lignin are polymers. and they can be made into really amazing material by few tricks

6 Likes

Time to go to bed… nighties lovelies!

5 Likes

8 Likes

EVERY… FRICKIN’… TIME… ON… EVERY… DAMNED… PLANET!

8 Likes

… and yet, you can’t keep a bear from stealing our Taco Bell.

9 Likes

They should put that bear in a forest, where is its place now. And eletric fencing around it.:construction_worker_woman:

6 Likes