The Like and Get Likes thread III

What if there are different rules for life outside planet Earth? 200 years ago we all thought we knew we didn’t need to wash our hands before doing surgeries, but we were actually wrong. :man_shrugging:

Semmelweis proposed the practice of washing hands with chlorinated lime solutions in 1847 while working in Vienna General Hospital’s First Obstetrical Clinic, where doctors’ wards had three times the mortality of midwives’ wards.[3] He published a book of his findings in Etiology, Concept and Prophylaxis of Childbed Fever.

Despite various publications of results where hand washing reduced mortality to below 1%, Semmelweis’s observations conflicted with the established scientific and medical opinions of the time and his ideas were rejected by the medical community. He could offer no acceptable scientific explanation for his findings, and some doctors were offended at the suggestion that they should wash their hands and mocked him for it. In 1865, the increasingly outspoken Semmelweis supposedly suffered a nervous breakdown and was committed to an asylum by his colleagues. In the asylum he was beaten by the guards. He died 14 days later, from a gangrenous wound on his right hand that may have been caused by the beating. Semmelweis’s practice earned widespread acceptance only years after his death, when Louis Pasteur confirmed the germ theory, and Joseph Lister, acting on the French microbiologist’s research, practised and operated using hygienic methods, with great success.

Good night lovelies. :heart:
Live long and prosper. :vulcan_salute:

p.s.: The Chad SNL vid was hilarious. Funniest thing I’ve seen today. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Maybe they are not mushrooms tho.
Maybe these work more like trees instead of mushrooms, they take CO2 and can produce O. And only happen to look like mushrooms.

Or they are composite organisms living in mutualistic or commensalistic relationship. Sort of like lichens. There is even some kind of lichen that is growing in harsh cold desert conditions on earth.

or maybe it is like some other lichen that grows inside rocks:

There is even this:

Was send to space, exposed to cosmic space and returned, and it functioned upon return.

survived an 18-month exposure to solar UV radiation, cosmic rays, vacuum and varying temperatures in an experiment performed by the ESA outside of the ISS.

Or its bacteria that forms such forms in colonies.

Only way to be sure is to go there, take samples for carefull analysis, and study it in situ.

3 Likes

Actually, evolution results in changes to basic mechanisms of DNA even on earth.

Genomic DNA is composed of four standard nucleotides. These nucleobases form the genetic alphabet, ATCG, which is conserved across all domains of life. However, in 1977, the DNA virus cyanophage S-2L was discovered with all instances of ‘A’ substituted with 2-aminoadenine (Z) throughout its genome forming the genetic alphabet ZTCG.

Who knows how can life look somewhere else. May be more resilient than earthly versions. On earth the conditions are pretty good for life, somewhere like on mars arent, but there were before. So evolution had some time since then and who knows what the result could have been.

3 Likes

I just had a funny idea: what if we spent the night sleeping? I’m gonna test it ina few minutes… nighties lovelies!

Also: It’s cool. It’s iconic. It’s Italian design.

https://bladerunnerglass.com/?lang=en

It’s expensive, but come on: the iconic glassware set used in Blade Runner is still being manufactured (handcrafted, actually) and sold!

3 Likes
6 Likes

Yesterday’s experiment of spendign the night sleeping worked well, I will give it another try today. Nighties lovelies! For the science!

Also: can you spot the AI-generated fake scientific reports?

After 10 tries, I got 7 correct and 3 incorrect in Easy mode…

3 Likes

EDIT: The video I shared above is NOT something SPECIAL, it is how NORMAL infrastructure should be in a developed country.

Good night lovelies. :heart:
Live long and prosper. :vulcan_salute:

5 Likes

I got the the same result. In 10 was 7 correct. Sometimes its easy to spot as the paper may be written using normal language that have sense. But when both descriptions seem to be just a bunch of technical terms and fairly logically connected, its where problems start.

3 Likes

:woman_technologist:

4 Likes

This is what happened to my PC when I tried to stream a video in 8K. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Last night something funny happened: while I was conducting the second try of my experiment “sleep all night”, I began watching a film, not while sleeping, but inside my brain, to say so. The plot was confusing and often sequences changed randomly and not even kept a clear continuity with each other. Quite amateurish (or maybe was an experimental film), but was an interesting experience. It somehow revolved about a drugstore but also a fmaily who owned it and for some reason they talked to me and invited me to lunch but then they didn’t had enough room for me to sea at their table so I ended having a free meal at a restaurant owned by the same family. Also for some reason my meal was served at the family’s dinner oom and then was carried along with me on a tray riding a kind of overhead rails hanging from the roof, so I had to lift my arm and keep pushing the tray with my food. I tell you, that “mind film” I watched last night as I sleeped was weird, but had plentyful of imagination.

Nighties lovelies!

Also: apparently many 40-somethings remember this series from their (our) childhood…

Seeing how it had a single season with just 13 episodes in 1985, probably it was sold all over European TV stations and many children and teens watched it…

4 Likes

It’s on the Post-It Note.

" The Invention Nobody Wanted…"

4 Likes

Also when you need an idea for movie poster about work.

4 Likes

Time to go to sleep… unfortunately the third attempt of “sleep all night” failed as I woke up twice in the night. Will keep experimenting with the concept, though. Nighties lovelies!

Also: this Chinese maker makes stuff…

Like, a machinecorngun… (just needs a little tweak, so the corn won’t be shot everywhere and rather bounces down to the basket)

6 Likes

That idea is poppin’.

5 Likes

Nah…

Ah… wonder if my Brita filters can catch these things. :petri_dish: :robot:

Ref:

4 Likes

Another sunday night, another weekend gone. Time to go to sleep, so I say: nighties lovelies!

Also: how to make rope for a vintage sailboat?

With vintage ways and machinery, of course! :tipping_hand_woman:t2:

4 Likes

Yesterday was the last day of the 19 days of total lockdown. Today I went out of my house for the first time. The sun blinded my eyes, the fresh air revitalized my lungs, the cool wind stroked my skin, my muscles thanked me for using them.

This period we were in was a lot like working from home:

EDIT:

THIS

4 Likes

CBS Special(video) on UFOs:

3 Likes

Time to go to bed… nighties lovelies!

Also: are you summoning a demon? Don’t mess up your demonic signs and get the right one!

Some have more than one version of their sign, like Bathin (18 and 18b) or Vepar/Vephar (47a and 47b) -the names and numbers are on top of their corresponding signs.

4 Likes