The Like and Get Likes thread III

We sacrificed and bought an old car exactly a month ago, but only today we had the chance to drive it. The car is an old, small 2004 Peugeot hatchback. I haven’t driven for 3 years but as soon as I start driving, I felt that the car was a lot like me. We both cannot climb extremely steep hills. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Heh, my buddy is also looking for a new car after his old car kicked the bucket, a 17 years old Renault Clio, bought used and now was 11 years in his ownership; had diesel engine and total 304,000 km. It blew a fuel injector while driving on the highway, mechanic replaced it, then blew another injector while testing the engine and the mechanic found rust in the fuel system. Would require a rebuild and at this age and point, after a year cleaning injectors, fixing timings and checking other pieces, probably everything else will start falling apart. So now my buddy is looking either for a used car or a cheap new car pre-registered by the dealership; we call those “km. 0” in Spain, dealerships will register a car before selling it to meet their quotas and then sell the new vehicle at a discount if the buyer chooses the brand’s financing option; the buyer is spared the hassle to register the car and can take it home sooner than ordering a car new from factory, but obviously can’t pick trimming or customization.

And now i’m off to bed. Nighties lovelies!

Also: detective fun with old photographs: when where they shot?

…he eventually narrowed down to probably 3 days of a specific month and year!

4 Likes

Good night, Yiole.
Good night, lovelies. :heart:
Live long and prosper. :vulcan_salute:

5 Likes

My Mum just turned 102 a few weeks ago! Woot! \o/

I’m going to send this to the local news channel and see if I can get her an interview on her fav food.

Better like real headcheese… :face_vomiting: :rofl:

6 Likes

Time to go to sleep… nighties lovelies!

Also: newly surfaced footage on the Hindenburg disaster…

I wonder if the full footage can be found online… if not, it might soon make its way.

4 Likes

Opera duo Charlotte & Jonathan - Britain’s Got Talent 2012 audition - UK version - YouTube

5 Likes

Timezone lovelies! :heart:

4 Likes

Time to go to bed. Nighties lovelies!

Also: this somewhat doesn’t tickles my inner aviation geek…

…and to be frank, I don’t see this passing Lego review. Is there even a market for such set? :woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

The air can come out while people sleep.

5 Likes

I bet these two would gank miners in hisec. Perhaps they do.

5 Likes

Time to go to sleep. Nighties lovelies!

Also: I see your floating tent and bring you deorbiting inside a bag of foam…

Was a crazy proposal for a desperate way to bring back an astronaut marooned in orbit. With stress on “crazy” and “desperate”…

4 Likes

Is that a bit like dropping an egg from a high rooftop and seeing if it survives the fall?

4 Likes

Looks like his butt would get pretty toasty.

4 Likes

Probably the reentry part would be workable with a good ablative shield, but I find scary is how the astronaut should use a couple of hand-held rockets to deorbit… keeping the appropiate attitude would be difficult to say the least, and if he just put himslef in the wrong approach angle he would be in serious trouble. Deorbiting oneself manually is crazy… but that was part of exploring the concept.

And now I’m off to bed. Last night I had one of my crazy dreams, this one about not finding a restaurant as lunch break time ran out and the craziest part was that I actually got lost in my city while trying to find a restaurant thats almost next door with my office… and when trying to google map my way there I couldn’t neither remember the name of the restaurant nor type correctly the name of my business. Apparently, dreaming of restaurants but never eating there means life dissatisfaction… which makes sense given in what stupid place is my life at the moment.

Nighties lovelies!

Also: enjoying Lego, next level:

Ordering the necessary 7,800 blocks runs around 800+ euros. Plus the construction guide. Plus where do you ever put a model 89 cm long (even if it has a split point to seperate in two halves for transportation and storage)…

5 Likes

I can imagine not eating at a restaurant would be frustrating, especially when you know where it is but cannot find it.

4 Likes

Below is my second attempt at cultivating a Date palm.

First one lasted 3 years before it died of extreme cold even though being inside a heated house.

5 Likes

Some years ago I had a palm plant… planted it from a seed delivered as promotion by the Palmeral of Elche to celebrate their designation as World Heritage Site. It grew to maybe 60 cm tall until it suffered an accident; I had it on a large window sill, tied with a loop of wire, but a strong wind overturned the pot and it slipped out of the wire loop, rolled on its side and fell to the sidewalk below (as I watched haplessly, noticed movement on the corner of the eye and saw it flip, roll and fall). Fortunately the plant didn’t hit anyone, but the pot smashed and apparently the roots were damaged by impact and the plant died (now I pierce the wire through the pot sides so it can’t slip out).

And this is how I obtained experimental evidence that large plants can’t withstand falls. :sweat_smile:

Time to go to sleep now, nighties lovelies!

Also: this is one insane conveyor belt…

It is 1,200 meters long and goes down a 400 meters slope, purely hanging from wires, to move gold ore from the mine to the processing plant. The shape of the belt is mostly a catenary curve (like a loose rope), hardened by the horizontal strength of the conveyor elements.

6 Likes

I… I wanna ride it.

5 Likes

LAGL folks, I call for a moment of silence for the late palm plant of Yiole’s and also for the late palm plant of mine… :sweat:

I also look forward to planting cherry tomatoes. I’ve heard that Spain and the Netherlands are the leading producers of tomatoes. Have you ever tried raising those, @Yiole_Gionglao ?

Good night, lovelies. :heart:
Live long and prosper. :vulcan_salute:

5 Likes

Funny… Now I’m without internet on my computer so today will just say good night from the phone: nighties lovelies!!

5 Likes